Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo estates - Info please

Views : 1571

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 22:02   #1
paules77

Default Volvo estates - Info please

Hello there, i am a new member to the VOC, and i would like some advice please, i need to replace my existing car (BMW) for an estate to take my work stuff (tools, mowers etc). I am drawn to a volvo estate - but which one? i am looking for something that has a largest boot opening height & width, long space from front to back it needs to be fairly economical on mpg (30 and over) i have looked at different models on various sites but i am unsure the differences between 740/760/850/940/960, even V70 and also what version i need to be looking for with regard to the specification (don't understand what is the difference between SE, CD,T5, R, GLT) which is the top and bottom spec? I will be looking for one with a decent spec. but it will only be used for work. Sorry this is a bit long winded, but i would appreciate any help/advice that you can give.
Thanks Les.
paules77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 22:30   #2
Jim760
Mr G

sounds like you want a 940 diesel, spec isnt bad if you get a mid to late 90s model they genraly come with electric mirrors/windows/roof and remote locking along with things like ABS and side impact protection system. engine is a VW 2.5 turbodiesel and will pull like a train. boot capacity of any 700 or 900 estate is the largest on offer, the later models (850 and V70) have smaller load areas
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim760 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 22:36   #3
st5ve
S60 R

The 850 TDI is a fantastic car with a bullit proof engine, hope you get a good un no matter what model you go for.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 22:37   #4
irishcarfan
Master Member

I've carried a couple of 8X4 ply sheets in our 940 - not many cars can do that! For my money, it is very robust and I've used it to carry all the things you talk about, beds, washing machines, bikes etc.

The 740/940 are bigger than the 850. They are also RWD.
The 850 is FWD with transversely mounted 5-cylinder engines.

The 740 and 760 existed from 1982/83-90, and was replaced by the 940 and 960 which existed between 1990-98. The cars are very similar.

The 850 (1991-97) was designed to fit below the 940. It is smaller.
T5 refers to a high pressure turbo 5 cylinder engine in the 850, and its replacement, the V70. 'R' was an even higher performance T5. It came fully loaded and was top of the range. I'm not sure of the exact differences between CD,SE,GLT but I reckon they're similar.

If I was you, I'd probably look at a 1997/1998 940 'CLASSIC' or 'Celebration', which were the last of the line, and by all accounts, pretty good.

If you want newer, then the only choice left is a V70 II 00-07, or the newer V70 07-now. All these newer cars are front wheel drive.

It's a bit confusing if you're not familiar, but any questions and I'm sure people will answer here!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:01   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hi Les, your choice will depend upon what your priorities are - size or economy.

The largest estates are the 940s as previously mentioned, however they are not economical, even the 2.4TD only returns mid 30s and is a heavy, clattery, comparitively slow old style diesel unless you do some tweaks to the boost and fuelling but even then its slow pulling away. The petrol engines are great - flexible, reliable if well maintained, but will only get around mid 20s driving normally. The 940s are definitely the best built and most comfortable cars Volvo made.

The 850 estate is smaller - noticably smaller, but its still a decent size. The engine choice is critical here - the 2.0 engines are borderline underpowered, the T5 engines are excellent but demand thorough maintenance to be reliable (manual ones are surprisingly economical, autos a bit thirsty), the tdi engines are a good compromise, again go for the manual gearbox.

Regarding trim levels, while there was a definite hierarchy, there were so many options that it was usually a matter of mix n match. The trim levels also changed through the model lifetime - for example I bought a new 940 2.0 SE Turbo when it first came out - it had electric windows, all round, a sunroof and the winter kit as standard - the spec was dropped a year later making the rear electric windows an optional extra ad later on the sunroof became optional too. So it'll be a case of deciding the spec you want and looking for that rather that a specific badge. It wasn't that bad on the 850 - they tended to remain a std spec throughout the models life.

My choice would be a late 940 Classic or Celebration with a manual 2.3 LPT and fit LPG to keep running costs down. It'll be commodious, reliable, tough as old boots and a great load carrier.

Hope this helps
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 10:52   #6
smithysbarge

I use my 940 for my Handyman business. Whilst I haven't tried 8x4 sheets in the car (on the roof plenty of times) it is amazing how much they will carry. You'll also find them SOO much more comfy than any van I've had. Only downside is the lack of security with so many windows! I'll solve this as soon as I can find a load cover which aalways amazes me wasn't standard and how few there seem to be.
Another advantage of the older cars (over 15 years) is that you can get classic insurance with business use. I pay less than £200 for my 740 Turbo.
smithysbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smithysbarge For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 14:44   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

A 940 would be an excellent choice. Young enough not to have old/odd problems (20 year life expected) and easy to come by. Also big. If you can't get the diesel then go for a petrol LPT (has turbo but not mentioned on the back). The normally aspirated engines are a bit underpowered, everything 94 on or so is turbocharged.

An cheap enough good condition 850 would be much harder to find, they are just not built to last as long.

IMO the only thing an 850 offers is better fuel economy, but the 940 diesel and LPT should not be too bad. The petrol HPT will get 24-26mpg.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 13:59   #8
940_Turbo

Personally I wouldn't touch a 900 or 700 diesel with the proverbial barge pole. That Volkswagen engine is desperately unrefined, hopelessly unreliable and ridiculously thirsty.

Basically the estates can be divided up into 2 groups, 850 and V70 are FWD, 240, 700 and 900 are RWD.

The RWD cars have 3 main groups of engine; 4 cylinder cast iron known as redblocks because of the colour of engine paint used on them. These were made as 2 litre, 2.1 and 2.3 litre. They can have 8 valves, 16 valves, non turbo or turbo. Secondly a V6 was fitted shared with Peugeot and Renault; steer clear of the V6 variants. Thirdly they were fitted with the truly horrible VW diesel.

The FWD cars have a whiteblock engine. It was a new modular replacement for the old cast iron range of Volvo engines. Again in the V70 there are various capacities and they came in turbo and non turbo varieties. You can also get a 4 wheel drive V70, my advice would be to not go there. There are 2 main diesel variants, VW diesels came first and were replaced by Volvo's own D5.

The above is by no means exhaustive. You need to decide what you want from the car. A V70 T5 R is a very different beast from a non turbo 940 or that matter a 20 valve NA 850.

For cast iron simplicity I'd choose a 1994 on manual gearbox 940.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 17:50   #9
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
Personally I wouldn't touch a 900 or 700 diesel with the proverbial barge pole. That Volkswagen engine is desperately unrefined, hopelessly unreliable and ridiculously thirsty.
See below.

Quote:
The RWD cars have 3 main groups of engine; 4 cylinder cast iron known as redblocks because of the colour of engine paint used on them. These were made as 2 litre, 2.1 and 2.3 litre. They can have 8 valves, 16 valves, non turbo or turbo. Secondly a V6 was fitted shared with Peugeot and Renault; steer clear of the V6 variants. Thirdly they were fitted with the truly horrible VW diesel.
The VW Diesel ain't that bad! And can run on veggie oil, unlike a common rail diesel system. Triple filter some used chipshop veggie oil and how much does your mpg come to??

Quote:
The FWD cars have a whiteblock engine. It was a new modular replacement for the old cast iron range of Volvo engines.
Sort of... It was first developed before the inception of the 800 series. Probally as a replacement for the now ageing B3x redblock. The 6 Cylinder version is what was used to power the 960. Following varieties included the 5 and 4 cylinder jobs. Head developed with assistance from porsche.

Quote:
For cast iron simplicity I'd choose a 1994 on manual gearbox 940.
Simply put - yes. With provisos. 16v engine need to be well maintained because of the head.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 17:56   #10
Palmer
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
sounds like you want a 940 diesel, spec isnt bad if you get a mid to late 90s model they genraly come with electric mirrors/windows/roof and remote locking along with things like ABS and side impact protection system. engine is a VW 2.5 turbodiesel and will pull like a train. boot capacity of any 700 or 900 estate is the largest on offer, the later models (850 and V70) have smaller load areas
I thought the older (700+900 series) had the straight 6 diesel from vw? Or is that the 960 and the 940 had the 4cyl?
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote