Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Respray tips

Views : 2030

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2015, 10:23   #11
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
That sounds likely, as the body repairer seemed to know what he was talking about and does a lot of classic car work. The subject cropped up because he's going to polish the car while he has it and I asked if machine polishing might remove the lacquer.
My 1989 245DL is solid red, no lacquer. I think (been mentioned) only metallics in this period would have used a lacquer top coat - on metallic cars it is usually the lacquer that deteriorates.

Jon.
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 12:11   #12
Triple-S
How Old?

Metallic paints are another way to seduce the punter into expecting a lovely shiny new car. My E-reg 240 saloon is silver plus lacquer whereas my D-reg 240 estate is white with no lacquer - easy to T-cut and polish but DON'T try that on a lacquered finish - that isn't for T-cutting (don't know exactly how one safely brings back faded lacquer to life - you probably don't). My G-reg 740 is lacquered silver, which is lifting now - good job its only my spares-car.
Lacquer isn't new: our early Golf was silver+lacquer over 25 years ago - that's where I learnt not to T-cut lacquer! In my opinion it is an answer to short-term shines - fine for the first few miles then....

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 14:54   #13
Angie
Premier Member

I'm relieved about the lack o' lacquer (as you might say) because the young man said once he's polished the car I won't recognise it. That could be interpreted in different ways! Anyway I'm looking forward to having it back all shiny-bright, I wasn't looking forward to having to do it myself.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2015, 18:53   #14
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Most or all of the "solid" colours available on 240 weren't lacquered, however lacquer is a much more durable finish than solid paint and almost always results in a better finish. Most 240 colours are available in clear over base now in paint shops.

When john h painted his 240, we painted it in clear over base, but the original 601 classic red. It's far more vibrant and has a much deeper shine.

Of course if only doing one panel rather than a full respray, I would recommend going for the original solid type paint.

Lacquer most certainly can be t-cutted up (apart from t-cut is ancient, and crap. You should use modern compounds such as farecla g3 and g10)

Lacquer is more scratch resistant and fade-resistant than solid gloss paints and when looked after by being washed with proper car wash chemicals and a proper wash mitt, should require little to no maintainence
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2015, 14:26   #15
halfnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and his 244 View Post
Most or all of the "solid" colours available on 240 weren't lacquered, however lacquer is a much more durable finish than solid paint and almost always results in a better finish. Most 240 colours are available in clear over base now in paint shops.
Mine is an early '76 car and is laquered. The shine has held up really well and there is a really nice depth to the finish.
The Following User Says Thank You to halfnelson For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 21:02   #16
andythepandy

Thanks for all the replies. Ok that gives me a little more to go on. My car is silver green (see pic) but I'm not sure if it is metallic paint but I don't thin it is. So am I right in thinking that this is probably just solid paint?

andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 13:22   #17
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

No, that is metallic, and will be clear over base
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 19:40   #18
Model flyer
Master Member

It fine to T cut laquer to restore the shine if its dulled over the years, just don't make a habit of it or you risk cutting through to the base coat . To check if your car is lacquered try T cutting a small area . If the colour comes off then its not lacquered. If no colour comes off then it is. Once the shine has been restored give it a good polish. For the first polish after T cutting I use a mildly abrasive trade liquid polish . This cuts finer than T cut and gives a real shine. After that I use Turtlewax Ice . Its non abrasive , gives a brilliant shine and can be applied over all the black plastic trim restoring the deep black .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 18:05   #19
andythepandy

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to go to the local paint shop this weekend and get all the kit and get to work on this beast. If I remember to I'll post a few before and after shots of the parts I'm spraying.
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote