Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RSE Monitor Pinout (Visteon VA8BEX)

Views : 2242

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:42   #1
danhans42

Default RSE Monitor Pinout (Visteon VA8BEX)

Hi All,

I have got the RSE package on my car (MY2009 D5), and am looking for some help with the rear screens. Unfortunately I no longer have the DVD player (was the single slot Visteon model in the armrest) and am looking for some information on the screens in the headrests.

I am replacing the DVD player with a Raspberry Pi/Kodi solution which is working perfectly with the RTI screen, but I am a bit stuck with the rear screens.

Does any one know the pinouts for them? I have found a wiring diagram but it doesn't include the signal definitions. If not i will start tracing and testing pins but didnt want to risk blowing anything.

Has anyone got any info on these?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180630_212948.jpg (167.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180630_212851.jpg (117.2 KB, 31 views)
danhans42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:36   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The wiring is in the wiring diagram.
The pinouts and signal assignments are in VIDA.
Combine the two and you get a very clear understanding of the wiring

You will however have a challenge when it comes to emulating the CAN bus signals....

If you have no access to VIDA let me know and I'll look it up.

I have the identical system in my MY2009 D5 XC90 and have read up about it a lot
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:56   #3
danhans42

Hi,

I have the wiring in the wiring diagram, the only signal that I can easily recognise is ground, due to the fact its also connected to the shielding of the cable in the diagram.

I don't have access to VIDA, and would be eternally grateful if you could pull them out for me, its the 12 pin connector I am interested in so I can almost complete my project.

I have the Raspberry Pi connected to the RTI screen via its RGB channel, with the screen being activated and switched by an Arduino Leonardo that controls both the screen and handles the Raspberry Pi power management (it shuts down after 8 minutes of ignition off as it stands).

I only need low speed CAN to pull the data from the steering controls, or maybe detect reverse gear selection but that is further down the line. Currently now I just need to get the headrest screens driven for my trip to France next month.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180609_170327.jpg (136.8 KB, 25 views)
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:19   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Interesting

Whilst you might think a screen is simple, the DVD player and the two screens have their own standalone CAN bus, where the screens talk to the DVD player
This allows the DVD player to do some screen diagnosis

I don't know if you can get the screens to operate without the CAN bus present - they may shut themselves down automatically.

I have a CAN bus monitor at home so I could sniff the data for you, but I'm off on holiday shortly and won't realistically have time until August
If you have a CAN bus to PC interface then you could also sniff your data - but you don't have a DVD player so that makes it hard.

So I'l get the VIDA pinouts and the functional description for you, and you can figure our where to go from there.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:23   #5
danhans42

Aaah,

Didn't realise the screens were controlled over CAN, I just assumed they were powered on by the power output of the DVD player and had a simple bus for control if needed.

I have can logging hardware lying around but no longer have the DVD player so would be tricky. If you could get me the signal definitions it would be a great help and can take it from there. If it becomes too much like hard work I will just replace the screens with those cheap Innolux HDMI panels or see if I can hack the controller board in the screen somehow.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 17:07   #6
aland

I removed the OEM screens and fitted 2 of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm feeding them from an iPod.
They fitted easily with a bit of trimming to the headrest foam, then re-stapling the fabric.
Because they come with nice surround bezels, they look very neat when complete.

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 18:55   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Heres the Gen 4.3 Screen Design info

Screen, head restraint
The multimedia head restraint consists of the following main components:
Screen unit with integrated holder and circuit board.
Head restraint pad.

The screen is attached to the opening on the rear of the head restraint cushion and is held in position in the head restraint cushion frame by two screws.

On the lower edge of the screen there is a window so that infrared signals (IR) from the remote control can be received by the infrared receiver on the screen's circuit board, and the integrated infrared red transmitter can send audio signals to the wireless headphones.

The 8-inch screen in the head restraint has an aspect ratio of 16:9. The screen is positioned to provide the optimal viewing angle. The screen has a 120 degree horizontal viewing angle.

The screen has an integrated temperature sensor that registers the temperature inside the screen. The temperature signal is sent to the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player via the CAN network to prevent the use of the screens with a two high or low temperature.
The temperature is not monitored during the first 5 minutes after the ignition has been switched on. This is to prevent the system being switched off unnecessarily if, for example, the temperature is too high in the passenger compartment when the vehicle is started. If the temperature is high the climate unit is usually used to lower the temperature.

The following occurs:
At +72 °C (-19 °C) a warning is shown on the screen. The warning message clears if the temperature changes to +70 °C (-17 °C).
If the temperature changes to +77 °C (-24 °C) the system will also switches off.
Note! The temperature limits above apply inside the screen and not to the temperature in the passenger compartment.

The integrated infrared receiver is activated when the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE) is voltage fed. The receiver receives infrared signals from the remote control executes these commands.
The infrared receiver is also directly connected to the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE). When the ignition is switched on, the LEDs on the infrared receiver and transmitter should be slightly illuminated. The LEDs are on for approx. 2 minutes after the system has been switched on and when audio is played back from a selected audio source.

The screens are not activated until the system has been switched on using the POWER button on the remote control or the POWER button on the DVD player. Before the screens can be activated the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE) must establish communication with the integrated circuit board in the screens. This is performed directly when the ignition is switched on and normally takes approx. 8-10 seconds

The circuit board contains an image generator, infrared receiver, infrared transmitter and the unit that controls all screen settings:

paint
contrast
brightness
aspect ratio.

The dampening control has a dampening factor of 30:1 to improve the picture and reduce sharp light from bright day conditions down to complete dark. The brightness can be adjusted so that the picture can be easily seen in daylight. The control module contains logic to interpret commands for setting video performance, input selection and the strength of the background lighting. Control commands are sent from the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE) via a local CAN.

The screens are supplied power and grounded via the rear seat entertainment module (RSE).

To check whether a screen has power and ground, you can switch on the ignition and then switch on the system with the remote control. The screen will then come on.

Note! If the voltage supply and ground to the screen work, but the screen does not have contact with the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player via the CAN network, the screen will start up and be lit in LOCAL mode. However this is not a guarantee that the complete system works.

For further information, see: Diagnostic functions

If the screen works in LOCAL mode this indicates that the voltage supply and ground to the screen's circuit board are OK.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 18:58   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Pinouts and signals for Connector E (24p) at the DVD player

Terminal Signal type Ignition on Miscellaneous
#E1 Voltage supply, left screen U= approx. 12 V To left display screen terminal #6.
#E2 Wake-up signal, left screen U= approx. 11-11.5 V To left display screen terminal #5.
At system start-up and when there is a communication fault with the screen, the voltage shifts between 0 V and 11-11.5 V, 3 times.
#E3 CAN-signal (+), left screen U=2.5-2.8 V Internal CAN network between control module and display screens. Left display screen terminal #4.
#E4 CAN-signal (-), left screen U=2.5-2.8 V Internal CAN network between control module and display screens. Left display screen terminal #3.
#E5 IR control signal for system (in), left screen U=approx. 4 V when no IR signal received
U=approx. 3 V when IR signal received From left screen terminal #2. Lowers upon signal receipt.
#E6 Ground terminal, left screen U=Ulow For audio signal to left display screen #8.
#E7 Audio signal (out), left screen Analog signal To left display screen terminal #9. Left audio channel.
#E8 Audio signal (out), left screen Analog signal To left display screen terminal #10. Right audio channel.
#E9 - - -
#E10 Video signal (out), left screen Analog signal To left display screen terminal #11. Video (+).
#E11 Video signal (out), left screen Analog signal To left display screen terminal #12. Video (-).
#E12 Ground terminal, left screen U=Ulow To display left screen terminal #7.
#E13 Voltage supply, right screen U= approx. 12 V To right display screen terminal #6.
#E14 Wake-up signal, right screen U= approx. 11-11.5 V To right display screen terminal #5.
At system start-up and when there is a communication fault with the screen, the voltage shifts between 0 V and 11-11.5 V, 3 times.
#E15 CAN-signal (+), right screen U=2.5-2.8 V Internal CAN network between control module and display screens. Right display screen terminal #4.
#E16 CAN-signal (-), right screen U=2.5-2.8 V Internal CAN network between control module and display screens. Right display screen terminal #3.
#E17 IR control signal for system (in), right screen U=approx. 4 V when no IR signal received
U=approx. 3 V when IR signal received From right screen terminal #2. Lowers upon signal receipt.
#E18 Ground terminal, right screen U=Ulow For audio signal to right display screen terminal #8.
#E19 Audio signal (out), right screen Analog signal To right display screen terminal #9. Left audio channel.
#E20 Audio signal (out), right screen Analog signal To right display screen terminal #10. Right audio channel.
#E21 - - -
#E22 Video signal (out), right screen Analog signal To right display screen terminal #11. Video (+).
#E23 Video signal (out), right screen Analog signal To right display screen terminal #12. Video (-).
#E24 Ground terminal, right screen U=Ulow To right display screen terminal #7.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 19:00   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Signals for the Screen
Screen, (circuit board) head restraint (16/81A, B) Input signals: Output signals:
Wireless communication (Infrared communication (IR)): Wireless communication (Infrared communication (IR)):
IR signals from the remote control. IR signals for audio to wireless headphones.
Directly connected: Directly connected:
Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player (16/109), audio and video signals.
Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player (16/109), wake-up signal.
Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player (16/109), voltage feed and ground connection. Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD player (16/109), command from remote control.
Via Controller Area Network (CAN) communication: Via Controller Area Network (CAN) communication:
Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player (16/109), control signals. Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD player (16/109), communication signals, temperature signal.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 19:05   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Diagnostic functions

For diagnostics the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player has a basic internal system check and a start-up procedure for the screens.
The control module is not connected to the vehicle's other CAN. This means for example that no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) can be read from the control module. All fault tracing must therefore be carried out via symptom fault tracing via VIDA fault tracing!
The following is information that may facilitate when fault tracing in the system.

When the ignition is switched on the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE) performs a basic internal system check and starts the start-up procedure with the screens.

If the time from when the ignition is switched on until the system is in standby mode (only the illuminated POWER button is lit) is longer than normal, this indicates a communication fault with the screens.
The start-up times, see: System start-up procedure

Causes of a long start-up time can be:
No supply voltage and ground to the screen
Damaged wake-up signal cable.
Damaged cables for the local CAN (no communication can take place). In connector D on the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player the CAN is strapped for the right-hand screen . The strap is used to support the future expansion of the system with additional devices. If connector D has been damaged, has become dislodged or for some reason there is no connection between both ends of the strap on the CAN cables, it will not be possible to establish communication.

Switch on the system using the POWER button on the DVD player
If one of the screens does not start when the system is switched on, when the start-up procedure has elapsed over the normal time (without fault), and only the POWER lamp on the control module/DVD player is lit, this indicates a fault with the actual screen or its cables between the screen and the circuit board.
When communication with the control modules/DVD player in this case is okay, both these screens' circuit boards behind the actual screens are OK.
The functionality of the circuit boards can also be checked by switch on the system and checking whether the IR lamps in the bottom of the screen are slightly illuminated.
The IR-lights are lit for about 2 minutes after the system is switched on or when sound is played from a selected audio source.

Switch on the system using the remote control
If the system is switched on using the remote control aimed towards the right-hand screen, when the voltage supply and ground to the screen are fully functional but for example there is no CAN-communication with the Rear seat entertainment module (RSE)/DVD-player, the screen will be lit and work in LOCAL mode. It will then be possible to show the menus and to adjust the sound and brightness settings.

This can be misinterpreted as the function is OK. However no picture will be shown on screen if, for example, you play a DVD disc or watch the TV. The system will be switched on and the left-hand screen will start. This is because the cables for the IR signals do not go via the CAN, but go directly to the DVD player and are interpreted.

If the screen works in LOCAL mode this indicates that the voltage supply and ground to the screen's circuit board are OK.