Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 XC60 Low Battery Charge

Views : 7997

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 11:24   #41
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
Some people use Viecar, you can also get Icar Vgate with auto power off - can be left in the diagnostic port. You need a Bluetooth 4.0 version if using iphone.
Car Scanner app works both on android and ios.
The Vgate looks good. Didn't realise you then had a choice of loads of apps! Is there one for Volvo that is good and preferable free?
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 12:00   #42
piotrek

Car Scanner app is free (full version is £7) and works pretty well with Volvos:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ovz.carscanner
Attached Images
File Type: png carscan.png (106.5 KB, 18 views)
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 09:05   #43
rtrider
Nut between wheel & seat

Continuing the battery thread, it looks like our 2015 D4AWD will soon need a new main battery, interested if anyone has had a quote from their dealers for a replacement.

AGM 12V 70AH 760 A (EN) PART NO 31255132

Had a quote off a local battery company for £142.00
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 11:28   #44
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrider View Post
Continuing the battery thread, it looks like our 2015 D4AWD will soon need a new main battery, interested if anyone has had a quote from their dealers for a replacement.

AGM 12V 70AH 760 A (EN) PART NO 31255132

Had a quote off a local battery company for £142.00
I always buy my batteries from a company called Tayna. They are very competitive and will price match as well. I've just bought a 100Ah Yuasa for my Merc and it was £100 (OK it was a normal lead acid).

I've always gone for Varta's (MB OE) but the Yuasa has a higher CCA rating, 5 year guarantee and members on the MB forum seem to rate them.

I do wonder whether you can fit a higher capacity battery to the XC60? The battery tray seems to be designed to accommodate a bigger battery and maybe in colder climates they do fit an uprated unit (they certainly do with Mercs). With a bigger battery it might resolve some of the low battery charge issues when listening to the radio!
The Following User Says Thank You to moosehead74 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 19:25   #45
K5 Gus

I had a new Volvo battery in Jan 2019, I started having battery issues a few weeks ago, ie after less than 18 months.

Spoke to a neighbour who was in the auto trade and he reckoned Volvo batteries are pretty poor, and recommended Varta as one of the best.

Paid £175 for the Volvo battery in 2019 ( fitted ), got the Varta delivered from Tayna for £129 and fitted myself.

E39 Varta Start-Stop Plus 096 AGM Car Battery 12V 70Ah (570901076)
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 15:42   #46
moosehead74

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
I had a new Volvo battery in Jan 2019, I started having battery issues a few weeks ago, ie after less than 18 months.

Spoke to a neighbour who was in the auto trade and he reckoned Volvo batteries are pretty poor, and recommended Varta as one of the best.

Paid £175 for the Volvo battery in 2019 ( fitted ), got the Varta delivered from Tayna for £129 and fitted myself.

E39 Varta Start-Stop Plus 096 AGM Car Battery 12V 70Ah (570901076)
Yes, Varta batteries are excellent but thought I'd try Yuasa this time in the Merc. Looking at the spec for the 70Ah Volvo battery it's an 096 fitment and 278mm in length. Would it be possible to upgrade to 80Ah? Length of this unit is 317mm with width and height the same. The battery tray certainly seems big enough but don't know whether it's possible to reposition the bracket, cables long enough, etc. Incidentally mine is just 3 years old and appears to be fitted with an EFB as opposed to AGM. Maybe this is what they had on shelf at the time.

The dealer has said they will have another look as I really don't want to splash out on a new battery for a 3 year old vehicle when the measured pd suggests a fully charged battery.
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 16:32   #47
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead74 View Post
...Incidentally mine is just 3 years old and appears to be fitted with an EFB as opposed to AGM. Maybe this is what they had on shelf at the time.
Manual transmission models gets EFB while autos get AGM, at least according to my owners manual (so I also have an EFB). The charging requirements for these battery technologies are different, so you can't simply 'upgrade' to AGM, although there's probably a way to re-programme the charging system with diagnostic equipment.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 08:51   #48
K5 Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Manual transmission models gets EFB while autos get AGM, at least according to my owners manual (so I also have an EFB). The charging requirements for these battery technologies are different, so you can't simply 'upgrade' to AGM, although there's probably a way to re-programme the charging system with diagnostic equipment.
I hope you're wrong there !!

I have a manual V60 2014 D4 - I no longer have the original factory fit battery, as it was replaced by Volvo dealership in Jan 2019 - they put in an AGM battery. When I replaced it a few weeks ago, I therefore got a Varta AGM battery.

Are the AGM batteries not for Stop/Start rather than Auto ?
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 09:05   #49
Chrisv60

Quote:

I have a manual V60 2014 D4 - I no longer have the original factory fit battery, as it was replaced by Volvo dealership in Jan 2019 - they put in an AGM battery. When I replaced it a few weeks ago, I therefore got a Varta AGM battery.

No, I think he's right. My manual car came with EFB from new and I have stop start.

Maybe the different charging regime is why your last battery only lasted 18 months.
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 09:11   #50
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:

My smart charger tells me to use the 'standard' setting for charging EFB types while there is a dedicated 'AGM' mode for AGM batteries (such as fitted to our other car).

I'd assume that if a Volvo dealer fitted a battery then they would also have correctly set the charging system to match? Odd that your battery life was so brief, so this might suggest a charging problem?

According to my owner's manual, mine should have an EFB battery (which it does), while if it had auto trans then it should have an AGB battery. My car has stop/start.