Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight bulbs. How much is too much?

Views : 768

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 18:03   #1
olliecampbell

Default Headlight bulbs. How much is too much?

So I've just picked up a new-to-me S60 and am working through the bits and pieces I noticed on the short drive back.

The previous owner upgraded the headlight bulbs with Halfords 200% brighter ones (55w).

Having read around the forums I know that the connectors can melt, which leads me to my question...

How much power is too much for a headlight bulb?
olliecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 21:58   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

ceramic headlight bulb connectors are available if you experience any plug melting but 55 watt should not be a problem.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 22:29   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliecampbell View Post
So I've just picked up a new-to-me S60 and am working through the bits and pieces I noticed on the short drive back.

The previous owner upgraded the headlight bulbs with Halfords 200% brighter ones (55w).

Having read around the forums I know that the connectors can melt, which leads me to my question...

How much power is too much for a headlight bulb?
A standard H7 dip bulb is 55 watts. I don't know how you can double the brightness using the same current flow..?
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 00:02   #4
volvosam

The claim to be 200% brighter clearly does not derive from higher power as 55 watts is a std bulb power.
I guess that the claim is based on the beam pattern and the design.
I have used Osram Night Breaker (or something like that) in the past and they are noticebly better than a std cheap bulb and also rated at a std 55 watts.
You definitely want to avoid anything rated at more than 55 watts because it can cause connectors to melt and can even cause fires.
volvosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 10:32   #5
V70roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
A standard H7 dip bulb is 55 watts. I don't know how you can double the brightness using the same current flow..?
Watts is the power of the bulb not the brightness and in the old days when most bulbs were a similar design with a typical design life of 1000 hours watts could be used as a shorthand for brightness.

You could in reality have a 100 watt bulb with a very thick filament producing very little actual light that would last years or by contrast you could have a bulb with a very thin filament producing loads of light but might only last an hour (as in some bulbs used for photography) So same wattage but maybe 10 times as bright in Lumens (a measure of brightness)

There is no doubt a specification for automotive bulbs but from a physics point of view watts is power not brightness.

Now to confuse things even more we've got led lights so watts are even less relevant perhaps it's time we started using lumens.
V70roma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70roma For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 11:19   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

that is the main thing to remember isn't it, life span

the 'ultra bright' options definitely don't last as long, I had some Osram ones that did just over a year. someone tried to convince me they were possibly fakes but they looked totally genuine to me in every way

the Philips ones I went to next have done nearly 2 years now

and as we all know, changing headlights on these cars is not something you want to have to do regularly, you need time in between for your hands to heal

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 12:57   #7
MDS40

I found the Phillips ones outlasted Osram units also.
On the S40 you can change a headlight bulb in under 2 mins

I also raised the headlight adjustment a fair bit and this was a great improvement over the factory setting which is way too low.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 18:27   #8
olliecampbell

Thanks everyone.

I'll stick with 55w items. I've recently been using Osram Night Breaker Laser 150% in the BMW and Skoda, but will take a look at the Phillips units. Ring and Twenty20 had some decent reviews the last time I checked.

I'm not looking forward to changing them....but it'll be a good excuse to have a poke around behind the bumper.

Last edited by olliecampbell; Dec 19th, 2023 at 18:29.
olliecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 05:32   #9
lynns hubby
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
and as we all know, changing headlights on these cars is not something you want to have to do regularly, you need time in between for your hands to heal
What a design !!!!! the back ones aren't much easier either. You need hands like a 3 yr old.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 09:24   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I know right lol they definitely spent more time designing the outside of the car than they did with in the insides

lets not even get started on that centre console

still gotta love em eh

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote