Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Front Brake Pad Replacement

Views : 2779

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2020, 16:46   #1
AB100

Default XC60 Front Brake Pad Replacement

As the local Volvo outfits have all shut up shop at the moment, for very good reasons of course, and I have time to kill, I decided to replace the front brake pads myself.
I have seen some posts on here and also video's on the tube, so knew pretty well what to expect, however there were some pointers that might be useful to others.
Firstly, there were 2 sizes of disc listed, together with the matching pads.
Not wanting the bother of having to return stuff during the present crisis, I had a wheel off the car, which is a 2L D4, 2WD to check the condition and fitment.
The calipers on mine have a single piston and are clearly marked in the casting for a disc size of 324mm, so that clarified that one then.
Secondly for the sliding pins, I have seen as having either a 7mm or 9mm HEX drive, but mine actually turned out to be 11mm. A size not in common sets!
Apart from the normal garage stuff, jack, torque wrench, a G cramp, and a wire brush etc, thats virtually the only tools needed. Could have used a tapered nose set of 'mole' grips for the pad spring clips, but managed ok with straight ones. I suppose due to the low wear, I didn't even have to remove any fluid.
The job took well under 2 hours, taking my time, and the hardest bit was getting the wheels off, which were stuck on the tiny flange!
Incidentally, at a recent service at 28k miles the pads were reported 60% worn, but were actually no more than 20%, and the discs were as new, couldn't get a finger nail on the wear ridge.
The old pads were marked as Volvo, made in Italy. I replaced with Brembo ones at less than £50, so although it was not the aim, I ended up saving £450 on the dealers price.
This is the first pad change which really didn't need doing, however good practice before I tackle the rear ones!
Now they are well worn, one pad almost to metal!
Thought I was light on the brakes, electric handbrake?
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 17:32   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Thanks for the info.

I had to buy a 9mm one to do mine.

As regards the rears yes they wear a lot quicker than the fronts particularly if you are light on the brakes. I think this is because the system makes the rears do more of the braking and a they are much smaller pads they wear much quicker.

It is quite straight forward job to replace the rears and if you buy genuine Volvo pads you also get a printed guide for the job including how to wind back the handbrake.
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 20:36   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

There is a very good rear pad replacement guide on the forum. Describes the original method of removing the EPB motors to release the calipers, plus also the technique of using a battery to unwind the EPB assembly. I followed this guide a few months ago (using a PP3 battery to wind off the motors)... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206272&

I believe the rear pads wear more than expected due to their use by the vehicle stability system compensating for erratic handling by selective activation during 'spirited' cornering. As well as drivers moving off without first releasing the EPB (and maximising use of HSA).

Last edited by Zebster; Apr 15th, 2020 at 20:39.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 00:36   #4
b1mcp

I have to ask. If your pads were genuine Volvo and only 20% worn, why did you replace them?
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 16:05   #5
AB100

Many thanks for the replies and the link! I knew I'd seen that photo set somewhere, but for some reason it didn't turn up when I searched.
Well, the rears are completed with no real bother. Only difficulty was getting the carrier bolts out as they stick through the casting and get mucky on the end. Plenty of freeing agent and a bit of to and fro-ing does the trick.
I used the PP3 method to rewind the motors, however my PP3's were a bit useless I think, just about did the first side with 3 batteries in parallel! Now short of batteries, I realised there is a very good 12V supply within the allotted 2 metres - the socket in the boot! I had a spare 12V type plug, so made up a lead and as I was a bit worried about shorting out anything with a lot of Amps available, I put .25 spade connectors on the other end which fits the motor connectors. Worked a treat!
As to why I changed them all, as I said originally, the car had been recently serviced and had come back with a report from the highly trained Volvo technicians and the service administrator of imminent replacement being needed, plus the MOT had an Advisory on the rear pads.
Then as everything changed due to the Virus, I bought the parts from ECP during the end of the month discount ready to do the job myself.
I realised when doing the fronts that things had been, shall we say, a bit overstated, but at that stage might as well continue, and of course the second side could have been worse.
I have since seen that there are Volvo dealers advertising genuine stuff on the favourite web market place, so I could have checked out that route (if they were actually still trading of course, my local one wasn't), however, having been caught out before by cheap far eastern knock-offs, I prefer to be sure that I am buying from a known reputable source with a come back.
Hope the above is a help to anyone,
AB
ps My other half's 2 year old, low mileage, I20 was serviced at about the same time and the video report showed the car on the ramp - with all the wheels off!
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB100 For This Useful Post: