Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel consumption/lights on

Views : 3419

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 19:15   #1
Stuart Salter

Default fuel consumption/lights on

Hi just want to know how you work out your fuel consumption (sorry a bit thick).
I have a Volvo d5 auto that is doing about 554 miles to a tank is this good or not, I am doing a lot of town driving which is all stop start.
Are the fuel computers any good or do they lie?

PS On a 2002 02 s60 d5 should the lights be on all the time because everyone I see on the road they have there lights on but mine hasn’t.

PSS Are these ecu chips any good do they decrease fuel consumption and increase power? Mine goes well as it is but if I can increase the fuel economy I will get one! Anyone know how much they are and are there good ones and bad ones, my car has done 137k will it be ok?
Stuart Salter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 19:43   #2
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default Queries

Quote:
Hi just want to know how you work out your fuel consumption (sorry a bit thick).
I have a Volvo d5 auto that is doing about 554 miles to a tank is this good or not, I am doing a lot of town driving which is all stop start.
Are the fuel computers any good or do they lie?
The fuel computers readings are a rough guide only and can vary from car to car. I reckon mine is about 5% over optimistic. The best way to check is to fill tank to brim, make a note of how much you put in, reset you trip to zero, then the next time you fill up again make a note of how much you put in plus the mileage covered. work out how many gallons that is and divide into the miles covered that will give your average mpg. Having said that mine does about 600-620 miles to a tank full and thats on two 27 mile journeys a day of mixed driving, so yours at 554 miles in mainly town driving is not far out I wouldn't have thought.

Quote:
PS On a 2002 02 s60 d5 should the lights be on all the time because everyone I see on the road they have there lights on but mine hasn’t.
DRLs (day running lamps) are always on by default but can be switched on or off by the dealer, yours have probably been turned off in the past.

Quote:
PSS Are these ecu chips any good do they decrease fuel consumption and increase power? Mine goes well as it is but if I can increase the fuel economy I will get one! Anyone know how much they are and are there good ones and bad ones, my car has done 137k will
The recommended tuning option is to have the engine ecu re-mapped (software changed) which increases the engine power out-put and a very slight gain in fuel economy (if you drive sensibly) which usually costs in the region of £5-600. It would not be worth spending this for the economy gain only, if you are satisfied with the performance as it is. At 137k I personally would not re-map unless you were absolutely certain of the cars past service history and know the engine is in tip top order.

Paul

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.

Last edited by Paul Clifton; Oct 29th, 2007 at 19:46.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 19:04   #3
Stuart Salter

Thanks Paul for that just wanted to know the calculation doing about 555 to 70 litres, considering its a £1.00 per litre app thats £70.00 what miles per gallon am I getting?

My car has full volvo history so not that bothered about 137k but cant afford that kind of money if it only increases fuel economy slightly.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 19:38   #4
Viper_7
Premier Member

Just to add regarding the fuel consumption.

The auto's are not a frugal as the manual's, and the S60 is not a good town car. Your fuel consumption is what I'd expect. If you were doing more mixed driving, then you'd be around the 620 miles to the tank mark.

The manual does 700+ quite easily with mixed driving.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 19:44   #5
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Thumbs up

I usually fill my S60 D5 up around the 600 mile mark as I dont like it getting to low on fuel. As previously mentioned the auto will be slightly heavier on the fuel. I would be happy with what your getting.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 13:45   #6
Major Look
VOC Member

Thumbs up Fuel consumption

I think my 45mpg (2005, V70 D5) is pretty good compared to my previous 760 turbo at 27 mpg. The mpg difference between auto and manual D5 can be reduced to a mere 20mpg or so by changing driving style to less "throttle intensive".

The auto drives well, though, and gives a v. comfortable ride through the gears. I think it's worth the extra 20mpg on my fuel bill.
Major Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 15:37   #7
Stuart Salter

Just had a chat with diesel bob dieselbob.co.uk he said that I might get better fuel consumption with his tuning box, but he also said it works better when you are heavy footed but its going to cost £293.75 inc vat to find out sounds a lot but doing about 3000 miles per month so it might pay for its self quite soon + like the sound of 20% power increase. Has anyone out there had this done. Is it worth it! sorry cant stop thinking about 195.6 BHP
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 17:12   #8
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Salter View Post
Just had a chat with diesel bob dieselbob.co.uk he said that I might get better fuel consumption with his tuning box, but he also said it works better when you are heavy footed but its going to cost £293.75 inc vat to find out sounds a lot but doing about 3000 miles per month so it might pay for its self quite soon + like the sound of 20% power increase. Has anyone out there had this done. Is it worth it! sorry cant stop thinking about 195.6 BHP
hi stuart
give well lane a call at batley for the price of a re map, i have the tuning boxes fitted to mine and if at the time i had the funds i would have gone the remap route. with the tunit boxes the digi ones are better, the only issue i have with it is if i dont set it correctly it will chuck out smoke, but the power and no turbo lag is great. hope that helps.
mike
850 tdi p box
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote