Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

WANTED FUEL PUMP! 2001(y) s40 1.8GDi se

Views : 1398

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 13:26   #1
mr muddle

Default WANTED FUEL PUMP! 2001(y) s40 1.8GDi se

s40 2001(y) 1.8 GDi se.Need fuel pump new/used cheapest option please!.
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to an unknown aladdins cave of new/used volvo spares.THANKYOU !.
mr muddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 14:51   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

do you need the electric fuel pump or the mechanical fuel injection pump ? I needed an electric pump for my 2003 V70 D5 and I was reluctantly about to pay the £223 for a new Volvo unit when a mechanic showed me that a second hand Denso pump at £10 from a 2000 Toyota 3L diesel was exactly the same as the Bosch pump , have done about 10k miles with it and still working fine , fuel consumption still at 50+ mpg . You need to soften the plastic fuel pipes using a heat gun to get them on and off ( being careful not to melt everything ) . Volvo wont sell the actual pump on its own , they make you buy a whole load of unecessary stuff which is what gets the price up .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 16:31   #3
mr muddle

Thank you, Bernard 333 will look into these possibilities. I believe my problem will be that there are allegedly 12 different types of FUEL PUMP each looking the same most with same part numbers if any but all with different pressures ?.All of course trying to steer me in one direction (VOLVO).
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 16:51   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

maybe a Mitsubishi scrapped carisma would give you the part you need ...
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 17:17   #5
mr muddle

THANKS CLAN.Purchased FUEL PUMP from 1.8 GDI Carisma(2001) for £25.00 inclusive p&p via Ebay.On its way to me from Wales,will let you know results ASAP!.Any advice on fitting apart from heating pipes to remove,which i will use hairdryer to do rather than suggested heat gun?.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 18:27   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

These pumps have been very reliable , so never had to change one but it is no real problem lets hope the pump is a direct replacement... assuming its the high pressure mechancal pump on the engine driven by the camshaft ..
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 21:34   #7
mr muddle

The FUEL PUMP for this particular model is a FUEL PUMP/SENDER UNIT all in one located under back seat?.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 22:19   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

ahh yes it has one of those which is similar to the normal volvo engined one . I thought you meant the special GDI High pressure pump ..
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:01   #9
Bernard333
Premier Member

The V70 has a split saddle type tank and uses two pipes to syphon diesel to the side with the electrical pump , I dont know if the V40 has the same set up but if it does you need to take great care when removing the fuel pump and sender assembly . When the garage first did this they broke two of the pipes due to being unfamiliar how to get the assembly out the tank . I have now removed it three times myself and it can be done with no force but its takes a fair amount of manipulation and I can see how a heavy handed person might do some damage as the pipe unions especially the nozzle L peice going into the base of the fuel pot is very easily broken . The two parameters that seem to matter are the pressure ( 2bar required for the D5 ) and the flow rate in litres per min but in the case of the D5 this is not as critical as those cars where the elec fuel pump feeds directly to a single stage high pressure injection pump , in the case of the D5 there is an intermediate mechanical pump on the engine which then feeds the high pressure pump all in the same housing . The link below gives some of the reasons for using the correct Bosch pump , after reading all this I then used a second hand Denso pump but you should make your own informed decision , in my case the Denso pump works fine but there can be no gaurantee it would work on another model . We used the original pump holder and the original Bosch mesh filter was in good condition and fitted perfectly on the Denso pump with no mods or sleeves required , hope it works for you .

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/fuelpumps.html
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post: