Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V reg V40 timing belt

Views : 1779

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2016, 01:08   #21
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBricks View Post
I was surprised to find out that Top Dead Centre of piston 1 does not need to align with the timing marks of the cams or crank.

I don't know if this is true but my TDC would be about a quarter turn of the crankshaft forward after passing the timing Mark on the engine. Is this wrong?
Please let me clear this up for you, because I tried explaining this once before, but you keep on referring to Top Dead Centre, and it's a redundant concept with these engines.

Tradionally, an engine's timing marks on it's camshafts would be lined up when Piston 1 is at Top Dead Centre. True. This would also mean that Piston 2 is at the bottom, 3 top, 4 bottom. With the camshafts at their correct locations, piston 1 would be at the end of it's compression stroke, piston 3 would be at the end of it's exhaust stroke. All that's true.

But the engine in the V40 isn't timed like that. Because the clearance of modern engines is so tight between the pistons and the valves, the pistons must be lined up halfway through their strokes. I can't remember now if piston 1 is on it's way down or up at the timing mark, but it doesn't really matter, the point is all the marks need to be aligned.

So the timing mark on the bottom pulley is NOT top dead centre, You can test this yourself, hold a long 3/8" extension rod (long because it must NOT fall in!) through the spark plug hole and turn the engine until you feel the piston arriving, let it rest on the piston, hand crank the engine with the bottom pulley until it reaches it's highest point - observe the timing mark - nowhere near! Turn it until the timing marks meet, halfway down. Or up. But it's halfway. At the timing mark, all the pistons are halfway.

This is good, because with the pistons at their halfway points you can rotate the camshafts until they're in their corect positions. You can rotate them as much as you like, providing the bottom pulley stays on it's mark.

What this means in practice (and this is important) is the old trick of holding a finger over the spark plug hole and feeling for compression and then finding Top Dead Center by any other means is the WRONG way to time these engines. You absolutely must use the timing marks.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 01:14   #22
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 View Post
I once had a similar issue after adjusting the timing on a 1.2 8v nova I had (was easy on that though just turned the distributor and it adjusted the cam) but it did exactly what you're describing so I'd say your timing is out.
You're talking about ignition timing there, Fastbricks has been doing his camshafts. There is no ignition timing on these engines, there's no distributor, it's all handled electronically.

But I agree it sounds like he didn't get it exactly right.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 07:30   #23
NaughtyV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
You're talking about ignition timing there, Fastbricks has been doing his camshafts. There is no ignition timing on these engines, there's no distributor, it's all handled electronically.

But I agree it sounds like he didn't get it exactly right.
Indeed I am! Been a long time since I molested and engine, miss it but at the same time I don't miss it haha
NaughtyV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 12:52   #24
FastBricks
Volvo invented seatbelts

It's a shame you are not closer or I would help with yours and you could help with mine. It feels like a two person job holding everything in place.
FastBricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 13:20   #25
DavidMarron

i did see a wheeler dealer dodge where Ed slit the cam belt lengthwise while it was still on the car, and removed the front half.

This retains the settings.

then he slipped the new belt on, or half on, and cut the old remaining belt.

This way the relationships between the pulleys was retained.

Dunno if it works on the V40

Having said that. when my belt was done, the kit included all the belts and pulleys, so everything was changed
DavidMarron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidMarron For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 14:03   #26
FastBricks
Volvo invented seatbelts

I'm addicted to wheeler dealer top gear and mighty ships. That's my whole morning wasted...
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 14:11   #27
FastBricks
Volvo invented seatbelts

Yes that confirms my suspicion. I used the lever from the car jack and put it on top of piston one and turned the engine over to align the crank and cams. TDC has nothing to do with engine timing and so I went with the markings on the pulleys and the position of the cams visible from the other side of the engine with the position sensor removed and and the oil cap removed. The engine must still be off by a tooth or half somewhere. I will be doing some work this evening on if and if all fails I have to get it to a mech next week as I have promised my parents they can have it for a trip to Ireland in early August so it has to be tip top. Thanks Canis as always. I am sure you are right and its a matter of a tooth or so. Any ideas about the tensioner making a clunking / snapping sound?
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 19:10   #28
Griffithsbilly88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 View Post
Haha sadly there was none of that, I'm not rushing into anything I've been single for a long time (actually by choice not because I'm an ogre) and I'm now old and doing old man things like dating buying a Volvo and criticising kids these days.

I thought life begins at 30, I'm going on like mines about to end lmfao
Lol I bought my v40 at the age of 28 I've always liked volvos I first drive one when I 18 it was a 1.7 340 and fml it was fun. But hey it's not that bad being 30 I don't think so anyway
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 23:52   #29
NaughtyV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBricks View Post
Any ideas about the tensioner making a clunking / snapping sound?
Is it a new tensioner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffithsbilly88 View Post
Lol I bought my v40 at the age of 28 I've always liked volvos I first drive one when I 18 it was a 1.7 340 and fml it was fun. But hey it's not that bad being 30 I don't think so anyway
I'd LOVE a 340! It would be used as a drift car/road car/trying not to kill myself car! Came so close to buying one but bought a Nova instead, wish I hadn't ffs!
NaughtyV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NaughtyV40 For This Useful Post: