Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Twin Engine 12V went flat while plugged into 230V

Views : 446

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2020, 15:35   #1
Rich306

Question V60 Twin Engine 12V went flat while plugged into 230V

I have not used my V60 (early 2017 model D5 twin engine) since the start of the lockdown. It has sat there in my car port, plugged into the 230V with the drive battery charged and ready to go when I might need it.

After 13 days my Volvo On-Call app told me that the alarm had been triggered. In reality it had not been triggered, the 12V starting battery had gone flat. Car would not unlock or respond in any way. It was totally dead. I levered off the left hand door handle cap, opened the door with the key and opened the bonnet.

I jump-started the car using another vehicle and started to look into the voltage of the 12V circuit.

(1) I ran the engine for a while (by pressing the power switch) and the voltage was over 14V- ie. it was charging the battery.
(2) I switched to 'pure' and the voltage stayed over 14V so, the drive battery was clearly capable of charging the 12V battery without the engine running.
(3) I switched off the car (12V battery was now around 11V). Then I plugged in the 230V and I see that the charging of the 12V battery also started at close to 13V. Indicating that the 12V was also charged from the 230V supply.

So, I am left with the questions:
(a) at what point does the 12V charging from the 230V switch off?
(b) what is the best way to trigger it to start charging again?
(c) why is this not automatic?

Any ideas?

Rich

Last edited by Rich306; Apr 8th, 2020 at 15:39.
Rich306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 16:34   #2
steadvex
Master Member

It's strange, if you leave it plugged in it seems to drain the 12v, oddly enough if you turn off the wall charger if it's type 2, I had to turn it on /off at the consumer unit, a few hours later it had put enough charge in to the 12v to start.

From what I can understand it'll only charge the 12v whilst charging the traction battery, once that's full it stops charging the 12v, but seems to drain the 12v system if left plugged in
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 17:10   #3
Rich306

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
It's strange, if you leave it plugged in it seems to drain the 12v, oddly enough if you turn off the wall charger if it's type 2, I had to turn it on /off at the consumer unit, a few hours later it had put enough charge in to the 12v to start.

From what I can understand it'll only charge the 12v whilst charging the traction battery, once that's full it stops charging the 12v, but seems to drain the 12v system if left plugged in
So, if I understand you correctly, merely leaving the cable plugged in once it is fully charged, the cable somehow drains the 12V battery.

Once the on-call app tells me the main battery is full, if I go out and remove the charging cable then it should last longer?

I am also wondering if I put a timer on the charging cable to disconnect it for a few hours each morning, would it solve it?

It all seems a bit daft, doesn't it?

Last edited by Rich306; Apr 8th, 2020 at 17:30.
Rich306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 17:29   #4
steadvex
Master Member

No idea why but seems to do so, its always advised not to leave electric cars plugged in for some reason.

After 7 days I think the car goes into standby, mines was 2 weeks unplugged and no issues with it going flat.

Wierdly unplugged I think the traction battery will topup the 12v if needed, although would need someone who knows better to confirm.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote