Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Solar power.

Views : 1720

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2020, 14:04   #1
Spike56
Master Member

Default Solar power.

As a conscientious virus avoider, I am staying at home as much as possible. Also as a vulnerable person with an over 70 year old wife, I am spectacularly unable to get shop delivery slots. I am therefore looking at Ring solar battery maintainers to keep the battery functional.

Has anyone used any of these, and has anyone got an idea which size/capacity charger is best?

My owners handbook suggests running the engine (not even moving?) for 20 minutes per week, if the vehicle remains unused! Enough to keep it charged, or enough to kill the dpf?

My car is a MY11 S60 D5 auto.

Any suggestions would be great. Stay safe
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 21:13   #2
rxtian

If it’s only a few weeks, running it for 20mins will probably be ok - the Volvo DPF system is pretty robust.

If you want to do the absolute best for the car then that would be getting a battery charger.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 21:46   #3
Spike56
Master Member

Thanks! Sadly very impractical as the car gets parked in another road and there's no access to power. Buggered if I can carry the battery back and forth, hence the idea of a solar panel charging unit. Cost between£15 and £30 from the orange and black company.....🤫. Otherwise it's a blast down the local motorway once a week! (My preferred choice).
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 09:52   #4
AB100

Got an older one I plug into the cig lighter socket my classic and just about does the job, only about 1watt.
Think the 12V sockets in the Volvo are not live when the ignition is off, certainly the ones in our XC60 are off.
You might need extension leads to reach the battery!
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 10:23   #5
Spike56
Master Member

I was thinking rear parcel shelf and into the boot. Boot socket is permanent live. ( Must admit though that the power would have to be on for the others to work 😂!)

Thanks!

Ring 240 2.4w up to 100ah.

Last edited by Spike56; Apr 14th, 2020 at 10:29.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 10:32   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
I was thinking rear parcel shelf and into the boot. Boot socket is permanent live. ( Must admit though that the power would have to be on for the others to work 😂!)

Thanks!
The PV cells in the solar panels respond largely to the sunlight UV content, unfortunately this is mostly absorbed as it passes through the vehicle glass.

If it were me I'd simply disconnect one of the battery terminals to prevent the charge being drained. You'll have to work out how to lock the car first with the bonnet open, before disconnecting the battery and finally closing the bonnet. Then when you need to enter the vehicle you'll need to use the 'emergency' key (which requires removal of a small panel on the N/S/F door handle on mine).
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:28   #7
Spike56
Master Member

🤯. Going to drive it once a week then, and hope for the best! 🤣
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:31   #8
Spike56
Master Member

Time for someone to create a solar panel sunroof?
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:45   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

I use solar battery maintainers that I bought from Aldi which are quoted as 6W output and work extremely well through the side windows of both my C70 and V70.

Even with the alarms left on, there is always full battery power available to spin the starters even after not starting for three months of more. Even on an overcast winter's day the output is above that quoted below. They are diode protected so you do not have to disconnect them if you use the car.
ALDI
6W(nominal) 12V Brand Auto XS - Dimensions: 50 x 35 x 1.5cm (approx.)
https://www.aldi.co.uk/solar-battery...12551262369400 which apparently is no longer available which is aldi speak for they'll be re-stocking it later in the year!
NB Guarantee/Warranty
3 Years
Suitable For Leisure vehicles up to 200Ah, large cars and 4x4 vehicles, motorcycles, golf trolleys, jet ski's, vans and boats.

HALFORDS
Halfords version is made by the same company and currently retails @ £39
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...ah-196489.html

If you run a search for "solar battery maintainer 12v 6w" you should be able to source it for around tha Aldi price which was around £25 last year....NB it was only £11.99 in 2018!!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:49   #10
rxtian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
I was thinking rear parcel shelf and into the boot. Boot socket is permanent live
Just to let you know - it is possible for the socket to power things, but it to be impossible to charge the battery through the socket - there can be a diode or mosfet in circuit to prevent reverse current flow.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post: