Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Solar power.

Views : 1719

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2020, 15:53   #11
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
Just to let you know - it is possible for the socket to power things, but it to be impossible to charge the battery through the socket - there can be a diode or mosfet in circuit to prevent reverse current flow.
I'm afraid that is not correct for the rear cargo area of the P1, P2 or P3 S60's, V70's, S80's, 90's or XC90's as there is no diode or mosfet used in the circuitry for the cargo area power point which would prevent reverse current flow.

The only exceptions are those vehicles in which a Volvo CD multichanger has been retrofitted and use the cargo area power socket +ve connection to power them.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 16:16   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
I use solar battery maintainers that I bought from Aldi which are quoted as 6W output and work extremely well through the side windows of both my C70 and V70.

Even with the alarms left on, there is always full battery power available to spin the starters even after not starting for three months of more. Even on an overcast winter's day the output is above that quoted below. They are diode protected so you do not have to disconnect them if you use the car.
ALDI
6W(nominal) 12V Brand Auto XS - Dimensions: 50 x 35 x 1.5cm (approx.)
https://www.aldi.co.uk/solar-battery...12551262369400 which apparently is no longer available which is aldi speak for they'll be re-stocking it later in the year!
NB Guarantee/Warranty
3 Years
Suitable For Leisure vehicles up to 200Ah, large cars and 4x4 vehicles, motorcycles, golf trolleys, jet ski's, vans and boats.

HALFORDS
Halfords version is made by the same company and currently retails @ £39
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...ah-196489.html

If you run a search for "solar battery maintainer 12v 6w" you should be able to source it for around tha Aldi price which was around £25 last year....NB it was only £11.99 in 2018!!
the solar panels you get in aldi etc are useless , 1/2 watt or even 1 watt barely covers the drain let alone adds a charge .
You being able to start it after 3 months is normal with a good battery , Volvo stipulate that new cars in storage be charged every 3 months .. They have just issued a bulletin to say charge the battery every 2 weeks in this alarming climate we are in at the moment .

you would need one of those solar panels you have on the roof of a house to provide 10A in the sun at the very least .. about £110 on ebay ... + the control regulator of course ..
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 16:32   #13
Spike56
Master Member

Now I'm just confused 😂
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 16:40   #14
Spike56
Master Member

There's a difference between charging and maintaining the battery though. I only need maintenance. I think I'll go with the solar system, through the boot socket and the occasional drive, and hope some scroat doesn't steal it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 09:01   #15
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the solar panels you get in Aldi etc are useless , 1/2 watt or even 1 watt barely covers the drain let alone adds a charge .
You being able to start it after 3 months is normal with a good battery , Volvo stipulate that new cars in storage be charged every 3 months .. They have just issued a bulletin to say charge the battery every 2 weeks in this alarming climate we are in at the moment .

you would need one of those solar panels you have on the roof of a house to provide 10A in the sun at the very least .. about £110 on ebay ... + the control regulator of course ..
I am sorry to disillusion you Clan but on this rare occasion you are not correct; the panels are marketed as battery maintainers and are primarily designed for caravan leisure battery maintenance - on a cloudy midwinter day the output when connected to the battery via the rear cargo power point gives a pd of 14.2 volts with a current "supply" of 0.5amperes i.e. output of the order > 6W - on a bright summer's day this rises to over 23 volts with the current measured as 0.9amperes i.e. of the order of > 11W when connected to the battery via the rear cargo area power point - I often do not use any of the cars on the drive for several weeks - the alarms are always left on - they start first turn of the key with barely any perceptible lag between turning the key before the engine is running. The batteries behave like new fresh fully charged batteries. The V70's battery is the 2004 original. Not too shabby for a 16-year-old battery.

The solar panels mentioned above are battery maintainers designed for caravan leisure battery maintenance and they really do work, if they didn’t, I would not have bought a second and then a third for each car on the drive.

I would not recommend any appliance where the performance was not at least within the quoted parameters - these panels exceed the quoted specs.

The oldest panel has been in use for over three years and is currently used to maintain the battery on my 2005 C70..........the car did a total of 140 miles between February 2019 and February 2020 when it started first turn of the key to go for an MOT not having been used since August 2019, in the intervening period, the only electrical power input was from the solar panel.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Apr 16th, 2020 at 11:06.
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 10:33   #16
rxtian

Quote:
I'm afraid that is not correct for the rear cargo area of the P1, P2 or P3 S60's, V70's, S80's, 90's or XC90's as there is no diode or mosfet used in the circuitry for the cargo area power point which would prevent reverse current flow.

The only exceptions are those vehicles in which a Volvo CD multichanger has been retrofitted and use the cargo area power socket +ve connection to power them.
Calm down mate - just pointing out the possibility so people should check rather than just chucking a plug in and thinking job done!
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 11:01   #17
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
Calm down mate - just pointing out the possibility so people should check rather than just chucking a plug in and thinking job done!
Totally calm, relaxed and not at all ruffled, your point was well made

Old Apr 16th, 2020, 16:11   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I am sorry to disillusion you Clan but on this rare occasion you are not correct; the panels are marketed as battery maintainers and are primarily designed for caravan leisure battery maintenance - on a cloudy midwinter day the output when connected to the battery via the rear cargo power point gives a pd of 14.2 volts with a current "supply" of 0.5amperes i.e. output of the order > 6W - on a bright summer's day this rises to over 23 volts with the current measured as 0.9amperes i.e. of the order of > 11W when connected to the battery via the rear cargo area power point - I often do not use any of the cars on the drive for several weeks - the alarms are always left on - they start first turn of the key with barely any perceptible lag between turning the key before the engine is running. The batteries behave like new fresh fully charged batteries. The V70's battery is the 2004 original. Not too shabby for a 16-year-old battery.

The solar panels mentioned above are battery maintainers designed for caravan leisure battery maintenance and they really do work, if they didn’t, I would not have bought a second and then a third for each car on the drive.

I would not recommend any appliance where the performance was not at least within the quoted parameters - these panels exceed the quoted specs.

The oldest panel has been in use for over three years and is currently used to maintain the battery on my 2005 C70..........the car did a total of 140 miles between February 2019 and February 2020 when it started first turn of the key to go for an MOT not having been used since August 2019, in the intervening period, the only electrical power input was from the solar panel.
They dont sell things like that in Halfords or ALDI though .. how much was your panel? I need a modern monocrystaline cell 1600 x 1000 mm to supply 9A to charge a 12v battery , about £120 What i described was rubbish you buy in accessory shops for £10 or £20 or even more .
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 19:42   #19
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Time for someone to create a solar panel sunroof?
Already been done. I bought a new A4 in 2004 that had that as an option. Nor sure if it charged the battery but it ran the fans to cool the car on hot days
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 23:41   #20
Spike56
Master Member

Another missed patent!