Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do I have to let the Diesel go.

Views : 953

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 21:00   #1
Oil Burner

Default Do I have to let the Diesel go.

Evening everyone,

Well I have had my 2005 facelift Euro 3 S60 2.4D for just over 5 years now and put approximately 27,000 miles on it.

Apart from soggy boot gas struts everything works, just a suspension knock that I have had for 2 years and the MOT testers cannot find it so who knows what that is.

Anyway, to the point of the post.

My current commute is 10 miles each way, 5 days a week with approximately another 5 or 6 miles at a weekend with the car returning a steady 43 mpg.

It is possible that the company that I work for will move premises to a location closer to home. This would mean a 3.5 mile commute each way.

I know the turbo won't coke up overnight, but i have a concern that if the move comes off then I might be asking for trouble down the line.
The car is Pre-DPF era so that's not a problem, I just think the car will not get up to temperature enough on each journey and start causing issues.
Maybe take it for a longer run once a week to blow it out.

I am more than happy to just keep driving it, just asking those who have made a similar change to commute if they switched to a petrol car.
I have also been tempted by a used Hybrid or pure EV

Looking generally and discounting the purchase price of another used car, the modern small turbo petrol cars seem to be in much lower insurance groups and cost approx £175 less in road tax and in many cases deliver better mpg going by 'Honest John's Real MPG' page.

Any thoughts?
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 21:31   #2
xco
Premier Member

Things you have to ask yourself......

How many miles on the car now ?

Would I miss this car if i went to something smaller?

Would I feel as safe in another car as I do in this one ?

Would I have the same amount of reliability and love for a new car as I do with this one?

Could I offset the lack of miles traveled by new commute by having an extended drive weekends or a big distance day out once a month?

Do I want to fork out a fortune for a new /(newer car) that I might not like as much a couple of months down the line??

Quite a quandary isn't it?

Just my own personal view but I think electric cars will prove only to be a stop gap until Hydrogen powered cars arrive.

I found myself wondering about the lithium issue for electric car batteries and did some research into whether there was even enough lithium to go round for people if everybody went electric....It turns out there is ...AT THE MOMENT...

.BUT .....It turns out that in future years when the batteries are passed their best that although they are harvestable for recycling of precious metals like the lithium.....only 20% of the lithium is recoverable to recycle!!!!....By which time if every body has gone electric unless the research into Sea Water(sodium halides) batteries comes of age then I fore- see a very big problem for every-one.

Add to that the problem of every-one trying to find a charging point at the same time....my opinion is to leave the electric route well alone and keep what you have if you're happy.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Aug 24th, 2019 at 21:35.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 22:37   #3
HDAV
Master Member

In reality buying a new car when current car is owned outright rarely “saves” money the car has depreciated pretty much fully at 14 years old and being a dirty diesel will be forced off the road by tax Increses soon enough.

I would say keep it unless you are offered silly money to sell then keep it and at the first sign of a big bill change it, but these great on paper small petrol engines are totally gutless in-laws have a 1.0 turbo Astra no go at all (suits them fine) and may be ideal for you and your short commute.

In all honesty keep the car and if they move closer buy a good ebike and a bike rack...... ebike will save you money and get you fitter but still has the comfort of a larger car when you want it.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 01:10   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Remap it. Enjoy.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 02:44   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Continuing to drive your car is the way to go.

Some wild exigency aside, wait for your "next tech" car as long as you can.

"Current Hi-Tech" which has been fostered, improved and supported will be good enough when the time comes.

Exercise your relic of the Industrial Revolution as needed. Enjoy doing it.

£175 per annum gets you into a Euro-coffin?

Hold out for a big materials breakthrough.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 07:51   #6
reggit
Premier Member

I've got an V70 E3 d5 and probably only do 3-4000 miles a year as no commute (work van), and most of this local shopping trips with the odd longer day out around once a month. Car is approaching 210,000 (mostly not by me haha), and isn't suffering with this useage pattern.
I did want to change it for a petrol (V70 T5 or 2.5T), but it's worth naff all, I've got most problems fixed, there are so many cameras and roads in bad condition these days a powerful petrol car can't really be exploited (and I've got the bikes to play with). So have decided to keep the oil burner until it expires or is uneconomical to repair.
Also I've just returned from holiday dragging a trailer tent for around 500 miles and the car has returned 50mpg, can't do that in a petrol!
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 09:54   #7
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

You know the answer but you're just looking for an excuse to scratch the new car itch, aren't you?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 11:54   #8
Oil Burner

Morning all,

Many thanks for the comments, all are valid.

I am not really worried about the possible short journey length, was just thinking ahead.

Yes I do love the car, it has everything I need in a car.
2005 (2006 MY) Euro 3 Geartronic Facelift, Lunar Pearl paint, Full Cream leather, 2015 SatNav update Disc, top Radio spec, Parking sensors front and back, Yes the stock built in phone works to!

It now has 109,400 miles on it so I guess its barely 'run in'.

Yes I have spent a lot on it over the time I have had it, and I really need to get my moneys worth out of that investment instead of passing it on to another owner for next to nothing and them benefitting.

Just threw it out there for anyones reasons or experience in going to a petrol for shorter journeys. I know I would miss it if I had to do a long journey over a small petrol unit.

The other month I done a 300 mile round trip and the car was flawless.

I think I have these thoughts after getting the car serviced as they usually give me a nice new Volvo to play with for the day and I start thinking (dangerous I know).

Example, My last service at the dealership a month or so ago there was a problem with the courtesy car I had booked. they let someone else have it!!
So after me pointing out that they had a lot full of about 50 cars and I had to travel 30 miles home they scrounged up another for me to drive and asked if it would be ok?

Hell yes I said !!

It was a 2019 S60 T5 R-Design Auto

What a piece of kit that was. Great to look at, went like a rocket, sporty, refined and perfect in every way.

But I would not drop £36k on one

Anyway, its goo to talk and I think I will stay with the old girl for the foreseeable future.

Have a great day all.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Burner For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 12:00   #9
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Burner View Post

Anyway, it's good to talk and I think I will stay with the old girl for the foreseeable future.

Have a great day all.
Good to hear. What about the car - what is you decide?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 23:21   #10
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

petrol t5 geartronic 2.4 I get 24 around town. 30 combined
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote