Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 C30 T5 with error code 640C

Views : 353

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 23:09   #1
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default 2008 C30 T5 with error code 640C

My wife's C30 T5 went in for rectification of a trouble code that I can't remember but which turned out to be caused by a torn diaphragm in the PCV chamber. This was fixed by replacing the diaphragm, physically getting to which entailed removing pipes that includes part of the induction system. Also changed before realising that it was a torn diaphragm was the MAF sensor.

After repair, the code was gone - but replaced by code 640D and an engine down on power. This code indicates 'Turbocharger (TC) Control System, Signal Too LOW' and arises when the ratio between the boost pressure measured before the throttle and that which is calculated after the throttle is incorrect.

The mechanic replaced the boost pressure sensor at the end of the intercooler and this code went away.

It was replaced by 640C, 'Turbocharger (TC) Control System, Signal Too HIGH' - so the opposite of before and indicative of a boost leak. I asked that the TCV be replaced anyway as it was the original at over 150,000 miles, but error code 640C remains.

Is the cause likely disturbed pipework as a result of the other work, or something else, please? I am trying to arrange a smoke test to look for a leak that way but so far both me and the mechanic have been unsuccessful at finding someone locally enough (I don't want to drive the car for miles and miles in its current state).

Cheers!

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus

Last edited by 2.4TSE; Jan 8th, 2024 at 23:12.
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 16:24   #2
2.4TSE
Master Member

The cause is the turbo failing to hold consistent boost. After the sensors replaced and a clean bill of health on the integrity of all pipework and hoses, the suspect is a failing recirculating valve (the one that allows excess boost to bleed back in to the induction system).

The question is, can this assembly be purchased without replacing the turbo itself, it looking to be perfectly fine?

I will start to look, but experienced comment here would be helpful.

Cheers.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 21:36   #3
2.4TSE
Master Member

Closing the loop for anyone finding this thread in the future.

I was unable to source the pressure relief valve in isolation so ended up having a reconditioned turbo unit fitted. This is the entire assembly of exhaust manifold, turbo, and pressure relief valve purchased as one entity.

Problem solved. We now have a properly performant C30 T5 without any error codes. With new MAF, boost pressure sensor, turbo control valve, and hours and hours of diagnostics on the way to buying and fitting the turbo assembly, I also have a somewhat lighter wallet.