Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RICA iSoftLoader

Views : 20912

Replies : 97

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:44   #91
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post
Ah, well you see... This is exactly where I have a real big issue, with yourself and RICA. I've repeatedly seen that yourself, nor RICA are particularly truthful in your dealings/claims in public and will say anything that fits.

You clearly state above that it was NOT introduced, simply because you couldn't develop the softloader in time....

However................

From the Horses Mouth, Again

So...

Once again, whose right - the bloke who owns the company or the UK distie with a penchant for political answers...
My answer was based on a long telephone conversation with RICA yesterday so that I could answer all the questions correctly. If I am incorrect then of course I apologise. What I do know is that there were no iSoftloader plans until a couple of years after the PPC was introduced. Whether the statement you quote implies the same thing, I'm not sure, because it may be being interpreted that they had something in development and could not finish it in time, whereas that was definitely not the case.

Quote:
I thought the arrangement had already been made clear by Roel to a large number of people, as previously pointed out... The Sync capability ends in October.
It may have been, but I spoke to RICA yesterday and they said that the situation is under review.

Quote:
Meanwhile, over on SS...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...tloader-issues
And lots of complaints about issues such as failures to sync, download, complete, weeks to receive files, months to receive units - as Dream3r pointed out.
Indeed, but if you look at the dates, most of the issues are dated around May. Most of the issues have since been resolved.

Quote:
And I note T5Ones has been completely ignored.
No, he has not been ignored by me.

Last edited by turbo-tuner; Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:02.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:58   #92
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-tuner View Post
What I do know is that there were no iSoftloader plans until a couple of years after the PPC was introduced.

Whether the statement you quote implies the same thing, I'm not sure, because it may be being interpreted that they had something in development and could not finish it in time, whereas that was definitely not the case.
Once again... Can you draw a straight line? because you can't give a straight answer can you!

What Roel said was VERY clear.

Quote:
The reason why we used the ppc hardware was because we couldn't deliver our own softloader in a short time.
That, very clearly says in a nutshell as such:

We were forced to use the PPC hardware in the first place, because ours wasn't ready or wouldn't be ready without a considerable lead time for development.

Hence we had no choice, but to use licenced BSR technology, because it was ready for market and worked.

You may want to advise RICA that should they cancel the RICA PPC support/upgrades, they will have a big pile of them heading their way via the county courts, along with full refunds payable.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 13:34   #93
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Once again... Can you draw a straight line? because you can't give a straight answer can you!

What Roel said was VERY clear.

That, very clearly says in a nutshell as such:

We were forced to use the PPC hardware in the first place, because ours wasn't ready or wouldn't be ready without a considerable lead time for development.

Hence we had no choice, but to use licenced BSR technology, because it was ready for market and worked.
Yes I can draw a straight line and yes I have given a straight answer based on my conversation with RICA yesterday. Perhaps the following will help clear up the confusion for everybody...

1. What was the main reason for the RICA PPC being introduced? It was introduced in order to reach worldwide markets where there were no RICA agent networks present.

2. Why was it a RICA PPC device using the BSR PPC hardware and not something else? Because it was ready for market and worked. RICA did not have any softloader type device at the time and none was under development either. If they had chosen to develop something it would not have been possible to do in a short time, but they had not made any plans for developing their own at that stage anyway. It was a couple of years later when they actually did plan to start developing their own.

I'm simply trying to explain the difference between why the RICA PPC was introduced into the market, and why it was BSR based PPC hardware that was used. If I have misinterpreted previous questions on this, then hopefully this should help clarify.

Quote:
You may want to advise RICA that should they cancel the RICA PPC support/upgrades, they will have a big pile of them heading their way via the county courts, along with full refunds payable.
They are aware, which is probably why the issue is under review.

Last edited by turbo-tuner; Aug 6th, 2010 at 14:20.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 15:59   #94
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Yes I can draw a straight line and yes I have given a straight answer based on my conversation with RICA yesterday. Perhaps the following will help clear up the confusion for everybody...
In that case, I would suggest RICA have a short memory, or are being particularly disingenuous....

Quote:
2. RICA did not have any softloader type device at the time and none was under development either.

they had not made any plans for developing their own at that stage anyway.
I'm sorry...
But with your answer above, set against Roels comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel
because we couldn't deliver our own softloader in a short time.
Shows, clearly that from Roels perspective - RICA had plans to develop, or were developing their OWN softloader... Or Roel wouldn't have known how long it would take....

If that wasn't the case, Roel wouldn't have said that, but something more like:..
Quote:
The reason why we used the ppc hardware was because we couldn't do it.
or

Quote:
The reason why we used the ppc hardware was because it worked, was the best, and there was no need to develop our own
But instead, he was very explicit...

and said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel
because we couldn't deliver our own softloader in a short time.
That clearly shows, that either one was under development, or in planning at that precise moment in time, hence the decision to "get to market" ASAP with the BSR PPC...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And some quotes from your former business partner...
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...p?h=0&t=502269

Quote:
Good luck to anyone who buys the Rica PPC, even I would have to concede that Dons MTE soft loader is almost certainly a better product.
Quote:
Rica software by Rica's own admission is not compatible with the BSR's PPC system
Quote:
We are not bitter at all as PPCs did not work by Rica's own admission!
Rica is a guy who leaves customers waiting for 7 hours in our workshop to have their cars tuned, proceed to 'kill' the car and then B**ger of home leaving the customer stranded
Quote:
I can now offer my customers the service they expect at the right price without having to perpetuate Rica's deceit
Quote:
Rica and Adam Weber combined were ruining my business and my previously good reputation, with their ineptitude. I decided to put a stop on their ego trip at the end of last year and since then we seem to be getting back on an even keel. No more broken ECUs, no more dead cars, tuning cars when the customers want and not when some supposed computer expert feels like working
Quote:
Granted it is the same box that Rica buys from BSR, but by Rica's own admission the way that they alter software is not compatible with PPC. I agree with you that BSR's PPC is a good product, speaking from our experience with Rica PPC I can quite safely say that it is a 'customer service nightmare' with all its problems, which is quite clearly why Rica are off loading PPC units at knock down prices.
Quote:
A Rica public statement, would that be like Rica publicly stating they had achieved Euro 4 complience when actually all they have done is put one car through one Euro 4 test at TNO, a far cry from achieving Euro 4 complience

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Aug 6th, 2010 at 16:31.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 17:05   #95
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:
That clearly shows, that either one was under development, or in planning at that precise moment in time, hence the decision to "get to market" ASAP with the BSR PPC...
Well I disagree because to me it does not clearly show that at all. It clearly states "because we couldn't deliver our own softloader in a short time" but it does not state why. You have given two examples of interpretations as to possible reasons why, but another possible interpretation could be that "one hasn't even been planned".

Quote:
And some quotes from your former business partner...
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...p?h=0&t=502269
I have my own views too. Anyway, I am not really interested anymore about what a former partner has said about me or RICA 3 years ago. We went our seperate ways 3 years ago.

Last edited by turbo-tuner; Aug 6th, 2010 at 17:13.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 17:13   #96
Barnsley-Bill
VOC Member

All the BSR PPC is good for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFeGP81MD6k

enough said
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 19:22   #97
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

Quote:
...No, he has not been ignored by me...
PM received and thank you but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-5ones View Post
So where are the iSoftloaders then? Why cant they be bought? What about the terms and conditions associated with the purchase of the iSoftloader, why cant they be put in black and white?
That question still remains unanswered.

With reference to your PM...

Quote:
...I can then contact you by phone and take payment by credit card. ...
If you think I'm giving you money for something that you will not give clear and precise terms and conditions for your having a laugh.

Quote:
The next batch of UK stock will be arriving in the week beginning 23rd August, so delivery should be some time during that week.
I've heard this story time and time and time again. What makes you think I will believe it this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
You can buy Sweden's premium MTE software from me, right now, for £435 including VAT, and I can supply the MTE Softloader device for an additional £155....

...Regards, Don.

PS. you can check the MTE Softloader system in some detail if you visit www.ipdusa.com the site of their US distributor.
Hi Don. I'm AKA V70D5 on T5D5 and we have already been in touch and I would definitely get a map from you in the future. I have highly recommended your services on many occasions and will continue to do so.

For the benefit of others I will briefly explain. RICA map installed, Simon is no longer trading, the only other Scottish dealer not returning e-mails and didn't want to work with my MY51 car as it was too old, the next closest dealer is 2 hours drive each way. Wanted to get my map adjusted as is was not IMHO 100%. RICA NL would not reply to any e-mails. I decided to write off the RICA map and get one from Don. His customer service was second to none and a true gent to deal with. He actively tried not to sell me a map and to get my RICA one sorted instead but I said I was fed up with the sh*t customer service I was receiving from RICA and wanted an MTE map.

Don sent me the MTE softloader to read the files on the car but due to the RICA map being on the car it did not work. I was going to have to pay a RICA dealer to remove the map to be able to continue. So Don gave me a refund that day and I have tried to go down the RICA iSoftloader route to get to the bottom of the issue or to just get an updated version of the D5 Sportmap that I have. Don is straight talking and honest, there is no hard sell from Don but he is a trader and is entitled to sell his product as much as the other traders do on here so please wind your neck in Maccas.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 20:35   #98
pettaw
Forum Support Team

I give up

I was kind of hoping that I could pull this thread into something useful for potential purchasers, but since then we have had petty arguments over semantics and other posters attempting to threadjack and drag the thread back into the free-for-all argument that it was before.

It may well be that the MTE softloader is a better and more versatile system than the RICA system, but that is not what we are discussing, so I have copied Don's posts onto a new thread, where you can discuss the MTE offering as much as you like.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all the arguments, which serve little purpose than to totally confuse the issue. I do not want the VOC to be a place where traders can advertise unchallenged, because that is not what a community forum is for and the ability for the membership to challenge a trader is written into the forum rules, but pages and pages of petty argument serves no purpose at all other than to make you all seem ridiculous.

In my opinion, dragging up a post from HLM on another forum really serves only to weaken ones argument, simply because HLM and Hamish Lindsay are banned from this forum, for continually breaking forum rules regarding multiple accounts and dishonesty.

I'm gonna close this thread for now. I'll see if I can clean up some of the arguments so that useful information can remain, both for and against the product.

Last edited by pettaw; Aug 6th, 2010 at 21:17. Reason: typos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pettaw For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread