Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant: Blue/Green or Red/Orange?

Views : 20816

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 19:33   #1
Spinal

Default Coolant: Blue/Green or Red/Orange?

I was about to drain my coolant when I noticed it's blue/green - the one that was recommended for my car by ECP is Red/Orange...

Any ideas if this is right, or should I be looking for the blue/green one from volvo?

M>

EDIT: Looking at the bottle, it's ethylene glycol based, so I reckon it's red/pink rather than red/orange

Last edited by Spinal; Jun 4th, 2012 at 19:49.
Spinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 19:58   #2
Jim314
Premier Member

The color of the cooant has nothing to do with whether or not it ethylene glycol based. Ethylene glycol is colorless. The color is from an added dye meant to indicate which anti-corrosion additives are used. Unfortunately there is no standardization on the dye color.

Volvo labelled anti-freeze/coolant has a blue or green dye, and I think the anticorrosion additives are HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology). Volvo doesn't say in any literature I have found. The antifreeze/antiboil base is ethylene glycol. But some aftermarket HOAT antifreezes (e.g., Zerex G-05 in the US) are yellow colored.

Last edited by Jim314; Jun 4th, 2012 at 20:00.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 00:31   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You need to be careful about mixing types of anti freeze, especially if you don't know which type you currently have. It's good practice to flush the system with lots of fresh water whenever the coolant is renewed as you will get a build up of sediment in the system, especially at the bottom of the radiator. It will also minimise an possibility of any reaction between different chemical compositions.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:21   #4
Spinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
You need to be careful about mixing types of anti freeze, especially if you don't know which type you currently have. It's good practice to flush the system with lots of fresh water whenever the coolant is renewed as you will get a build up of sediment in the system, especially at the bottom of the radiator. It will also minimise an possibility of any reaction between different chemical compositions.
Full flush is on the plate - was considering radflush (car has been standing 6 years... so the coolant in there is at least 6 years old) but decided against it based on the lack of evidence around it's use in aluminium engines...

M.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:34   #5
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Mix anti-freeze / coolant types and get a mop 'n bucket ready

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138860
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=137670
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134427

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/14124-9...96#entry162596
Quote:
I'd previously used "Halfrauds" Advanced Antifreeze on my MY02 S60 after being caught out, did a full flush and change - and noticed within a couple of days fairly major leaks from the heater pipes passing through the firewall/bulkhead.

Immediately changed to Volvo stuff - leaks stopped.
If you fubar the matrix seals it's a major pita to fix. Seals are designed to be used with certain fluids only. Get it wrong and ..........

I work in materials testing, including fluid compatability. When the combination is wrong it can be quite spectacular.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.

Last edited by RobbieH; Jun 6th, 2012 at 12:39.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:42   #6
Jim314
Premier Member

Ethylene glycol based antifreeze is toxic. If you plan to do a coolant drain and refill yourself, you must collect the old coolant and the rinsings and take this to a proper disposal facility. Used coolant is not to be poured down the drain.

Decades ago in the US we would just drain old coolant onto the street or into the ground or pour it into the sanitary sewer (the house drain) and dilute it with added water. It has been over 30 years since I last did this. I get my coolant changed at a professional repair garage.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 13:25   #7
Spinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
Ethylene glycol based antifreeze is toxic. If you plan to do a coolant drain and refill yourself, you must collect the old coolant and the rinsings and take this to a proper disposal facility. Used coolant is not to be poured down the drain.

Decades ago in the US we would just drain old coolant onto the street or into the ground or pour it into the sanitary sewer (the house drain) and dilute it with added water. It has been over 30 years since I last did this. I get my coolant changed at a professional repair garage.
I do most of my work down at pit-start - they deal with disposing of any and all the fluids for me

Also, it means I don't have to waste time looking for tools, freezing out in the rain or swearing when I realise I'm missing a piece (ECP deliver to them in 30 mins or so)...

M,