Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 21308

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:20   #461
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
I can't get it to budge even slightly! Tried pushing pulling lifting twisting but it just won't release from the clips
Push the screwdriver straight in through the hole and you should feel the springy part of the clip move away from you
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:22   #462
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Push the screwdriver straight in through the hole and you should feel the springy part of the clip move away from you
yea I feel that and push that but it doesn't seem to release the bezel
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:23   #463
griston64
Premier Member

It can be in quite tight. If you have any of the plastic trim removing tools it could help
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:24   #464
griston64
Premier Member

It can be in quite tight. If you have any of the plastic trim removing tools it could help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5m3H6Z_aDQ
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:24   #465
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
I can't get it to budge even slightly! Tried pushing pulling lifting twisting but it just won't release from the clips
Set the heater to its hottest setting to the vents (open the vents up as well), heater fan on full and take it for a drive and get the interior good and hot. You might want to open a window/sunroof so you don't fry at the same time but the heat passing either side of the instrument cluster will warm the plastic etc so it's more flexible and you can be a little less gentle with the surround.

Never know, the heat might even help revive the odo/trip meters!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:26   #466
ANDTWENTY

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5m3H6Z_aDQ
thats the one I watched, I wasn't keen on how he marked the dash round the sides so didn't pry too hard like he does
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:54   #467
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Set the heater to its hottest setting to the vents (open the vents up as well), heater fan on full and take it for a drive and get the interior good and hot. You might want to open a window/sunroof so you don't fry at the same time but the heat passing either side of the instrument cluster will warm the plastic etc so it's more flexible and you can be a little less gentle with the surround.

Never know, the heat might even help revive the odo/trip meters!
The surround is metal Dave. Spose heating the plastic around should help though. I think over the years it just gets stuck in
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 11:51   #468
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The surround is metal Dave. Spose heating the plastic around should help though. I think over the years it just gets stuck in
If nothing else the warmth will make the plastic parts of the dash more flexible Mark which will help to reduce the chance of breakages/damage.
I didn't realise it was metal, maybe Volvo got complaints about the plastic breaking on the older models like mine - my next job is to try and repair the mounting holes for my instrument cluster surround/vent panel which is all in one on mine. While it's out i'll be looking at the instrument bulbs that only work when they feel like it, similar to yours and a possible fix for the fuel gauge that has the work ethics of a 1970s coal miner!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 14:40   #469
ANDTWENTY

I gave up with it and resorted to digging some foundations for a car port, I'll try the heat and having another go later on. I have however ordered the gas tank and pipework for the LPG conversion so hopefully that'll get done next week.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 20:52   #470
ANDTWENTY

I popped into the city today to sort some stuff out and tried to find some cassettes while I was in there. I tried a few charity shops and antiques places, nothing! a few music shops such as HMV, nothing! I went to some old record shops, Nothing! I then stumbled across one which had a few! So off I trot back to my wagon, hop in and insert the 80's hits tape. I enjoyed the tape for a whole 10 minutes before it decided to spit itself out, I just pulled into a petrol station so wound the tape back in filled up with fuel and set off. only this time there was no sound! Tried the other tape from my double set and this didn't work either, it was as though there was no tape in, no sound at all!

I thought something must have come undone so I stripped the radio down to find what the problem was! a 30 year old plastic cog now missing most of its teeth resulting in nothing turning inside, I'm not sure if the tape coming out jammed it or if the plastic had just got week and brittle and this was a final straw?

I'm now very sad I can't listen to my 80's hits tapes, does anyone know if this cog can be changed or the cassette player inside can be changed or if I have to replace the whole head unit, hopefully for another original one though!