Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 21247

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:08   #471
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
I popped into the city today to sort some stuff out and tried to find some cassettes while I was in there. I tried a few charity shops and antiques places, nothing! a few music shops such as HMV, nothing! I went to some old record shops, Nothing! I then stumbled across one which had a few! So off I trot back to my wagon, hop in and insert the 80's hits tape. I enjoyed the tape for a whole 10 minutes before it decided to spit itself out, I just pulled into a petrol station so wound the tape back in filled up with fuel and set off. only this time there was no sound! Tried the other tape from my double set and this didn't work either, it was as though there was no tape in, no sound at all!

I thought something must have come undone so I stripped the radio down to find what the problem was! a 30 year old plastic cog now missing most of its teeth resulting in nothing turning inside, I'm not sure if the tape coming out jammed it or if the plastic had just got week and brittle and this was a final straw?

I'm now very sad I can't listen to my 80's hits tapes, does anyone know if this cog can be changed or the cassette player inside can be changed or if I have to replace the whole head unit, hopefully for another original one though!

I have a fully working CR906 for sale. Pulled from a 98 940
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:09   #472
griston64
Premier Member

Default Volvo radio cassette

IMG_3743.JPG

Tested with a cassette and worked fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:30   #473
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I have a fully working CR906 for sale. Pulled from a 98 940
Mines the cr 708, so guessing yours is just slightly newer but I see no reason for it not to work. mine has the multi plug, a ground wire, the arial wire and a round black plug, I'm not sure what its for, is yours the same? if so I'm definitely interested, how much would you want with postage?
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:53   #474
ANDTWENTY

Just got this from google so ignore the screws bit but the red rings are what mine connects with and the yellow is where the ground wire goes, this is yellow because on mine theres a screw with a male spade bit coming off.

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 21:58   #475
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Mines the cr 708, so guessing yours is just slightly newer but I see no reason for it not to work. mine has the multi plug, a ground wire, the arial wire and a round black plug, I'm not sure what its for, is yours the same? if so I'm definitely interested, how much would you want with postage?
The round black plug is for the power amplifier. The "ground wire" you mention, not blue is it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 22:02   #476
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The round black plug is for the power amplifier. The "ground wire" you mention, not blue is it?
Yea I've just been looking about online and people say its an amp, where is the external amp, I'm guessing if a radios got one built in then its just not needed? I believe it was black but it was dark out so maybe it looked black under my phone light, does that have something to do with it?
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 22:15   #477
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
£30.00 + postage

Cheers
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 22:43   #478
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yea I've just been looking about online and people say its an amp, where is the external amp, I'm guessing if a radios got one built in then its just not needed? I believe it was black but it was dark out so maybe it looked black under my phone light, does that have something to do with it?
The wire almost certainly is black then. The blue one is usually for the electric aerial but is more commonly in the multiplug.

No power amp inside the Volvo radios if they have an external one as far as i know, it's more or less above the accelerator pedal, black box with fins on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-760...3/371434467042

There are a few variations but that's about average.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 05:38   #479
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
£30.00 + postage

Cheers
Does it have the same connections on the back as mine? If so I'll take that off your hands

Come to that actually, even if the cassette deck inside is the same I can just put that in mine

Last edited by ANDTWENTY; Nov 9th, 2019 at 07:19.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 05:41   #480
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The wire almost certainly is black then. The blue one is usually for the electric aerial but is more commonly in the multiplug.

No power amp inside the Volvo radios if they have an external one as far as i know, it's more or less above the accelerator pedal, black box with fins on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-760...3/371434467042

There are a few variations but that's about average.
So if the radio has one in will the radio and speaker system still work without plugging the external one in or does it have to go through it to make a circuit kind of thing? Would it have to be bypassed. I would assume the speaker outputs go to the amp then the speaker compared to modern radios where the output for the speaker comes out the back of the radio.