Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Incorrect Anti Rattle Spring Installation and spongy brakes

Views : 21459

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2010, 19:16   #11
Jim314
Premier Member

What is the recommended procedure for inserting the anti-rattle spring clips?

For example, is it best to work from one end by putting one end in its hole then the straight section behind its tab, then the other end behind its tab, then the other end in its hole?

Or is it best to put the straight section behind both tabs then put first one end in its hole and then the other end in its hole?

Or some other procedure?
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 20:35   #12
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I use the first procedure, getting the clip in the second hole requires a bit of a knack and the use of pliers or the end of a screwdriver.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 18:17   #13
Rebrabuk

I know this is an old post, but just to say thanks to all contributors, especially for the pictures..

After buying my car 2 weeks ago, I thought i had an exhaust rattle, until realising today that it doesn't rattle under braking, therefore unlikely to be exhaust related.

A quick search found this thread, comparison of pictures with my car has shown that the rear brake retaining clips have not been fitted correctly, so that'll probably be the cause! Even if it's not, it's still good to know that they need to be corrected..

Job for tomorrow if weather stays nice!
Rebrabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 15:11   #14
Rebrabuk

Have been out and fixed mine this morning..
I can confirm it has resolved my rattle!

Here's how the clips had been fitted previously;
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 08:56   #15
chopper_harris

There looks to be quite a lip on that rotor.
Have you checked the minimum thickness ?
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 09:20   #16
bogart
Master Member

Done a few myself, all correct way. Looking at the pics of the incorrect installation I would have thought that requires even more effort than the correct installation which as mentioned before needs, pliers screwdrivers and usually in my case a small hammer!
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 16:02   #17
Jim314
Premier Member

I had the front pads changed on my V70 at about 43 kmi. I closely observed the mechanic putting on the spring clips to insure they were on correctly. My rear pads are original and the spring clips are behind the tabs.

The front calipers on my wife's XC90 have a different type of clip, but the rear wheels do have the wire clips. The brakes are the original sets and the clips on the rear are fit on the outside of the tabs (wrong way for the V70). If fact, it seems there is no space behind the tabs to accomodate the wire clip.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 13:56   #18
Rebrabuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper_harris
There looks to be quite a lip on that rotor.
Have you checked the minimum thickness ?
The lip is pretty big on the inside edge, i've pencilled them in for replacement in the near future! You meantion minimum thickness, is there some sort of official marker on them to signal replacement time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314
The brakes are the original sets and the clips on the rear are fit on the outside of the tabs (wrong way for the V70). If fact, it seems there is no space behind the tabs to accomodate the wire clip.
If it's standard fit like that from the factory and does not rattle, probably best to leave them as they are..
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 00:19   #19
Jim314
Premier Member

I wasn't suggesting that I thought the wire clips were or might be on wrong on this XC90. My point was to caution against generalizing on the V70 arrangement.

I was over at the dealer facility today getting the oil changed on the XC90. I took the opportunity to look at the brakes on the new stock in the showroom. None of them have the arrangement in my 2004 V70. If they have a wire clip, it is not behind tabs.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:28   #20
Mrs Wez

[QUOTE=Rebrabuk;888877]The lip is pretty big on the inside edge, i've pencilled them in for replacement in the near future! You meantion minimum thickness, is there some sort of official marker on them to signal replacement time?

yep, its usually on the disc stamped into it!
Mrs Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Wez For This Useful Post:

Tags
anti rattle clip, brakes, front, pads, spring