Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 Carbon Cannister Vacuum Hoses

Views : 563

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 13:23   #1
haymitch

Default Volvo 940 Carbon Cannister Vacuum Hoses

I was wondering if anyone could answer a quick questions please? I decided to replace the vacuum hoses from the carbon cannister to the throttle body on my Volvo 940 today because the ends are splitting.

I managed to get the hoses off okay but one hose is a different size to what I was expecting. The upper hose is between 4mm - 4.5mm (this is fine ). However, the lower hose in much wider and has an 8 mm internal diameter. Based on what I researched online I expected this to be around 6mm internal diameter.

Will it matter if I fit my replacement 6mm hose instead? It seems to fit on okay but I believe this is the hose that takes excess fuel vapors into the throttle body. Will fitting a small internal width hose impair the performance of the system? Will fitting a different internal diameter replacement be a dumb thing to do? Or will I just have to be patient and wait for more hose to arrive? It's tempting to be lazy and just fit the 6mm hose but it is a tight fit.

Because it's Sunday almost everywhere is closed I notice that Halfords sell fuel hose that is of 8mm internal diameter. Would this do the job?

Last edited by haymitch; Aug 9th, 2020 at 13:45.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 14:06   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
I was wondering if anyone could answer a quick questions please? I decided to replace the vacuum hoses from the carbon cannister to the throttle body on my Volvo 940 today because the ends are splitting.

I managed to get the hoses off okay but one hose is a different size to what I was expecting. The upper hose is between 4mm - 4.5mm (this is fine ). However, the lower hose in much wider and has an 8 mm internal diameter. Based on what I researched online I expected this to be around 6mm internal diameter.

Will it matter if I fit my replacement 6mm hose instead? It seems to fit on okay but I believe this is the hose that takes excess fuel vapors into the throttle body. Will fitting a small internal width hose impair the performance of the system? Will fitting a different internal diameter replacement be a dumb thing to do? Or will I just have to be patient and wait for more hose to arrive? It's tempting to be lazy and just fit the 6mm hose but it is a tight fit.

Because it's Sunday almost everywhere is closed I notice that Halfords sell fuel hose that is of 8mm internal diameter. Would this do the job?
What size are the stubs this hose of indeterminate size fits onto? If they're 6mm, use 6mm hose, if they're 8mm use 8mm hose.

BTW, Halfrauds are expensive on things like fuel hose, i see your location is now Newmarket, there used to be a good motor factors just off the market square/carpark where Exning Rd bends to the left (as you come into town) before reaching the Rookery or whatever they've renamed it. Can't remember if they're open on sundays but worth a look.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 14:24   #3
haymitch

Thanks for the tip Dave! Your post made me smile - it's always the simple things. I should have thought to measure the stubs I've measured the stubs and they're 8mm so it looks like I'll have to get some more hose.

I don't know of Motor Factors in Newmarket but I'll take a look.

Last edited by haymitch; Aug 9th, 2020 at 14:28.
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 15:00   #4
haymitch

Will it be okay to leave the carbon cannister disconnected whilst I look for replacements? I don't want to be the cause of a mini-Beirut style explosion from any escaping petrol vapour!! I'm guessing that any amount of escaping vapour will be tiny?

I'm wondering whether duct taping the ends of the old hoses and then reconnecting them until the replacements arrive would be a good plan?
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 15:18   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Will it be okay to leave the carbon cannister disconnected whilst I look for replacements? I don't want to be the cause of a mini-Beirut style explosion from any escaping petrol vapour!! I'm guessing that any amount of escaping vapour will be tiny?

I'm wondering whether duct taping the ends of the old hoses and then reconnecting them until the replacements arrive would be a good plan?
It will be a small amount of vapour escaping, normally this is drawn into the inlet manifold and the injectors are shortened in their duration, all under ECU control to burn off the fuel vapour so it doesn't go into the atmosphere neat.

You may be able to trim the perished ends and get a good connection, if there's enough slack in the hoses.

Just trim 1/2" or so off the persihed ends and connect, should be good enough to last until the new hoses arrive as long as they're not perished further back than this.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 20:00   #6
haymitch

Thanks, I've now done that
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 08:51   #7
griston64
Premier Member

I bought those hoses from Skandix so might have some spare. Happy to send out but it will be tomorrow
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 16:30   #8
haymitch

Only just saw this. The replacement hose arrived in the post today. It looks like a good match so I think I'm fine - thanks for the offer though
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post: