Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic Ignition

Views : 3284

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2020, 11:54   #11
TomTom
Master Member

I never looked back after getting the 123 ignition. I’ve saved £££ and countless frustrations fiddling with points gaps and grumbling about poor starting. I’m not super mechanical so for me it was perfect fit and forget.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomTom For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 12:48   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

A good quality Bosch Blue 3 ohm coil is all you need. Lucas Sport or similar ones from firms like Burtons are fine too. 3 ohm is the important spec. Beware the cheap Brazilian or Mexico made ones from VW parts suppliers. They may actually be made by a Bosch company but are often of poor quality. Ford used to use Bosch Blues that were made in Spain and they are fine. I'd happily buy used ones of those if clean and tidy. Although 123 may have built in circuitry that can cope with the Bosch red, nominally 1.5ohms, there is no need to use it and put unnecessary strain on the electronics.
Absolutely don't use a Bosch Red to replace the standard remote coil on the late Amazons, 140 and 164's.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 18:56   #13
arcturus
arcturus

That's what I use on my B16 with 123
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 06:36   #14
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
That's what I use on my B16 with 123

Looking to clarify, what is “that’s”?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 09:34   #15
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Looking to clarify, what is “that’s”?
A picture saves 1000 words
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200726_01 (2).jpg (129.8 KB, 16 views)
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 10:11   #16
Bracpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIVERALLY View Post
I use Powerspark ignition..its been very good so far..cheap? Not as cheap as some but have proved itself over the years.
123..programmable is ok if you want to uprate everything else to wrong the last few fractions of bhp..but is very very expensive if a new dizzy ain't needed
I could use the Power Spark as the engine is standard at the moment and as you said save a lot of money and get the benefit of electronic Ignition. (less fiddling with points and condensers)

But go for the 123 only when i upgrade the motor..Carbs, Head, Exhaust, cam etc..in the future.

I appreciate every ones input and advice
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 10:42   #17
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Kassie has a E head available, I won't need it.

Ben from Tinus Tuning didn't recommend I upgrade my CR other than change to the 0.85mm head gasket. B20A head with 0.85mm head gasket, TT3 cam, single Stromberg, 7kg flywheel and 2" exhaust is what I'm going for. The single carb will prevent any real top end performance I imagine but the single Stromberg B20A matches the B20B up to 3500rpm even with the C cam and higher CR. I think the dual SUs actually hurt performance low down due to the slower air flow through both carbs. This is just my assumption. With the higher lift TT3 cam I should get more HP at all rev range. I want to keep max HP under 5000rpm and improve low down torque and acceleration. I plan on doing a Dyno before and after to see how things go.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 13:19   #18
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Burdekin;

"SUs actually hurt performance low down due to the slower air flow through both carbs." I can't agree here, sorry...it is for good reason that SUs (and ZSs for that matter) are called "constant velocity" ...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 14:12   #19
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Burdekin;

"SUs actually hurt performance low down due to the slower air flow through both carbs." I can't agree here, sorry...it is for good reason that SUs (and ZSs for that matter) are called "constant velocity" ...

Cheers
Hmm. Through the piston fair enough Ron but the cross sectional area either side of the piston are fixed. Small opening through the piston, air would increase in speed but slow down as it fills the other side. This is only my thinking. Smaller SUs would have faster air flow at low rpm and hence be more responsive and produce more power at low rpm.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 15:47   #20
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

B;

If the "piston" you are referring to is the Dashpot, they you are not understanding the function or principle of the CV carb...and "cross sectional area either side of the piston" is irrelivant, only cross-sectional area a Venturi vs. mass of ingested air is relevant...Dashpot vertical position is variable, and adjust all by itself, to keep velocity unchanged at Venturi!

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRAcqDySog

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote