Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Touring Caravans & Sites

Views : 5949

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 02:32   #1
volvorocks
Rodney

Default Touring Caravans & Sites

A few years since I towed a tourer, but thoroughly enjoyed the life, if not the towing.

What caravan do you tow, and what tow car do you use? How do you find it?

Any tips on good caravan sites throughout the UK?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 19:24   #2
IainMcL1970

I tow a 2014 Swift Challenger 570 SE (slightly modified!) with a 2015 XC 60 D5 Se Auto ... or I will when it is run in!

Sites ... we mostly used Caravan Club sites, good quality, less chance of meeting the rowdy element and for us at least good value for money. We also use Camping and Caravanning Club sites, though not quite so keen on them as the standards in our opinion is not quite so good.

Always willing to give advice on sites on the Scottish sites network.

We do 80+ nights a year, I have been caravanning since I was 10 days old so born to the breed so to speak.
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMcL1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 14:13   #3
Chris308

I tow a 2014 Coachman Vision 570/6 behind my 2012 V70 D3 (163bhp)

I don't tow it all that much as we have a seasonal pitch so just at the beginning / end of the season and to the dealers for service etc. Saying that, we are taking it down to London for a few weeks as well this year.

We have found it to be a fairly good match although it is 91% if fully loaded. We tend to put all the weight in the car though and keep the weight in the caravan to the minimum.
Chris308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris308 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 14:50   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Sorry haven't got time to reply on hols
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 15:50   #5
sunshinetours

Fairly new to caravanning compared to many but tow an Adria Altea, although haven't yet with the XC60 as don;t get out much usually until around Easter.
From then onwards we do a mixture of commercial sites, CL's via the Caravan Club network, some rallies via the CC and always at least once over to Europe each year where we normally do a couple to three weeks in summer.

We all love it and its a great holiday with your own gear, space and chilled lifestyle (once set up!).

Lots of forum out there to assist but UK Campsite is a useful one with Uk and Europe site reviews as well as forum. Caravantalk is another.
Obviously the two main clubs have their own sites and affiliated sites also and finally Google maps is a great way to look at an area and find "camping"
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 01:57   #6
c_lee
VOC26332

I tow a 1989/90 Lunar Clubman 500/4 which is about 16' 3" internal length ( ~ 21' shipping ) and a 4 berth that has a maximum all up weight of 1100Kg.

It's the biggest I can store on the part of my drive that is in front of the building line.

During the past ~15 months or so ( and since I had the auto box fail on my V70 TDI towcar ) I have been towing it with a 1998 Vauxhall Vectra GSI 2.5 Litre V6 which tows it very well indeed - though a little thirsty and petrol.

It has 194 Bhp available, but unfortunately, not at the best rpm to take full advantage of the maximum torque speed for towing at 60 ish mph.

The Vectra is also limited to 100Kg less towing capacity ( 1500 Kg ) than my V70 TDI ( 1600 Kg ).

And, there is nowhere near as much space or comfort.

During these past 2 months or so I have ( hopefully ) finalized the repair of my V70 auto and anticipate using that as my main towcar again soon ( from February ).
Will be updating that thread on the repair of that autobox mid February hopefully.

We have only been back into caravanning again since 2011 after a break of over 20 years.

Being semi retired, we usually do between 60 and 70 nights per year away in the caravan and in all weathers ( except January ).

Since spring 2013, and for our main breaks outside of winter, we tend to use Camping & Caravanning Club THS sites in various distant parts of the country.

We now appear to have a regular ( according to SWMBO ) summer 2 week break in Brixham each year at about £9 per night on a THS there.
Yea - I like it too though.

I equipped my van with 80 W solar charging in spring 2013 and a 4 week summer break 2013 without EHU was no problem.

That was a priority for the solar installation, to enable extended THS use.

We have everything else in the caravan that we would need.

Other times and in colder weather we use whichever site suits for the area we wish to visit.
We had 5 nights in York early December with EHU and full comfort.

I ask myself - why have we excluded this caravanning option for over 20 years - don't know, OH well.

We are back now, and will use all the spare time we have now, and even more when full retirement is realized before too long.

If you are new to a touring caravan - check out C&CC THS's.

Love it - Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 17:07   #7
St Evelyn
VOC Member

We have a 2012MY (2011 registered) S80 D3 manual, soon to be towing a 2015 Elddis Affinity 540. I used to caravan with my parents and siblings from age 4 until I was 18 or 19 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now that our dog has been diagnosed diabetic and needs twice daily injections, SWMBO and myself have decided that caravanning will be perfect for both annual holidays and weekends away - roll on February 13th when we pick the 'van up!

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 17:16   #8
sunshinetours

Good luck St Evelyn - enjoy your new holiday home!
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 18:30   #9
Mr-V70

We tow a 6 Berth Twin Axle 2005 Abbey Freestyle 640SE with a 2005 XC90 D5 (163).

We tend to use Caravan Club sites in this country as the standards are pretty much guaranteed. We also go to France / Spain once a year for two to three weeks. Its great for the kids and nice and relaxing once all set up.

Cheers Sam
1993 440 1.8l - Sold
Mr-V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 18:40   #10
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Redneck

Cars as per signature.

Started only about 6 years ago with a tiny 700kg approx 1984 caravan the make of which I forget, bought from a Hell's Angel near Dover for £270. Promptly drove it under an overhanging branch. Partly straightened the roof and sealed it sort of, ripped out the internal overhead cupboards and put in a shelf for my guitars and went to folk festivals and fields with campfires. Eventually got fed up with the fact I could not keep the fridge cool on hot days (despite a new fridge) and gave it away (sold the fridge).

Bought what was supposed to be a 1997 ABI ACE Airstream from a bloke in Eltham whose senile father took it fishing and put it too close to a campfire resulting in a face like a stroke victim. When he died the son parked it in an alley with gates each end behind his house in Eltham where the local urban yoof broke in and used it to shoot up. Paid £500, and cleaned it up and installed guitar shelf, radio, and subwoofer and Bulldog. Eventually got fed up with the damp bathroom although the rest was bone dry, floor was fine, everything worked and it was amazingly roomy inside (L-shaped lounge) - bought new one I was hoping to be identical (see below) and the differences alerted me to the fact that the "1997" one was probably 1992 or 3 so I hope I was not guilty of receiving stolen property!

I now have a 1996 ABI ACE Airstream - much prettier on the outside and lovely bathroom but infuriatingly although bigger on the outside it's smaller on the inside, too many wardrobes, smaller L-shaped lounge, smaller space for guitar shelf, fridge in a silly place, stupid inaccessible cupboards, no cutlery drawers (can you believe that?), subwoofer won't fit, and WINE BOTTLES WILL NOT FIT UPRIGHT UNDER THE SEATS. Installed oven (previously had only rings and grill), relaminated floor, put pads in the Al-Ko (!) reversing lights, new lavatory flush, new Cascade igniter. Working on radio, radio aerial, subwoofer, guitar shelf, steam cleaning upholstery and curtains and carpet, and bondage loops to tie up girlfriend (only joking).

Anybody want to buy the other Ace as a project to sort the bathroom?
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post: