Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 II 2005 1.6D - diesel in engine oil - where from ?

Views : 1267

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 18:04   #1
dieselS40II

Default Volvo S40 II 2005 1.6D - diesel in engine oil - where from ?

Hi All,
My first post on this Forum

My reason for posting is that I have noticed diesel in the engine oil and do not dare to use the car until the source is found and problem fixed...

I hope someone can tell where the diesel get in contact with the engine oil and guide me in what to check...

There are no alarms.
No smoke nor any smell.
No visual leaks.
Normal idle and no strange sounds.

Changed Common Rail diesel pump 6 months ago, not seen any leaks or noticed any problems. Have run the car 12000 miles since last activity in the engine compartment. (oil change, new fuel filter, timing belt and pulleys )

I have no clue how the diesel get into the oil and I need my car to get to work and must admit that I am stressed now...
dieselS40II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 11:39   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Does your car have DPF ?

If so, a cause of diesel in oil is when the DPF has tried to regenerate and is failing...

Explained simply in this article.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...in-the-engine-

The best way to keep a DPF happy is to do some long runs in it.

Last edited by colinbos; Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:42.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 22:14   #3
dieselS40II

Many thanks for your help, colinbos !

You ask if my 2005 S40II have DPF - I am not sure... but i cannot se any sensor or tubing connected and part description is "Diesel Catalytic Converter" when I google the part # 3m51-5e211-ada
My car is officially classed as Euro 3L which I beleive indicate regular Cat and not DPF ?

Do my engine add additional diesel to clean regardless of whether I have a DPF or a Cat?

My Cat is looking like the one on the picture in the link, but without tubing: https://www.bildeler.no/dieselpartik...4T/?Vare=73011

Last edited by dieselS40II; Mar 19th, 2018 at 22:18.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 23:01   #4
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Other posts suggest a 1.6d S40s have a DPF.

I would be sure yours has too. Diesel in oil is as a result of failed DPF regeneration, normally.

Are you sure its diesel and not water mixed ?

The car puts more fuel into the engine to increase the DPF temperature to burn off the particles captured to reduce exhaust emissions. When the car does small trips frequently, the engine and DPF doesn't get hot enough to reduce the soot collected in the DPF and the excess diesel is dumped into the oil.

If you do small trips in your car, local trips, you need to do a run of approx 30mins, once a month on a fast road, motorway if possible, to clean and regenerate your DPF.

For now though, change your oil and start afresh with a good run to regenerate the dpf and then every 4-5 weeks or so do the same.

Excess diesel and an overfull sump can cause lots of problems from the car going into limp mode (reduced power to protect the engine), to over run.... where you cannot turn the engine off as the oil and diesel mixture just burns away and eventually your engine will blow up. There are videos of this on YouTube.
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 13:48   #5
n217970

Pretty sure this DPF is of the eolys fluid variety which would rule out failed DPF regens.
n217970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n217970 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 14:04   #6
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 09:36   #7
dieselS40II

I cannot see any sign of water in the oil.

My only use of the car is back and fort to work and that takes 40min each way so the engine reach working temperature every time I start which is a positive ?

Please can someone explain the difference between a Catalyzer and DPF ?
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 09:47   #8
dieselS40II

Quote:
Originally Posted by n217970 View Post
Pretty sure this DPF is of the eolys fluid variety which would rule out failed DPF regens.
n217970 - the link I added in post #3 shows a DPF with tubing. The one on my car do not have the tubing did I mislead you by posting a picture not identical to mine ?

Have checked many 2005 S40II now and the early ones are Euro 3 and the later ones have the same DPF as the one on the picture with tubing connections and they are Euro 4L..

Last edited by dieselS40II; Mar 24th, 2018 at 12:10.

Tags
1.6 diesel, diesel in the engine oil