Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

One lucky chap!!!!!!!!!!

Views : 1020

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 19:23   #1
mitch850

Default One lucky chap!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone, I am the delighted new owner of Nigels 855r! Has my Volvo cherry been popped or what? I have put off posting till the car was back home with me, I picked her up last night and had an enjoyable journey back to Derbyshire - I have never had a grin for so long. This car has gathered a lot of interest over the last year throughout Nigels rebuild, and deservedly so because it is simply outstanding, as those of you who have seen it know and its a tribute to Nigel. Nigel - thanks for your help,hospitality etc... I'll take great care of her don't worry. Look forward to meeting some of you round and about
regards
jon
mitch850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 23:53   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: One lucky chap!!!!!!!!!!

Altogether now...BASTARD!

(Just envy, honestly...)
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 08:47   #3
mraldonnelly

Jon,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Volvo's (and the VOC forum). Even more wonderful for you I must add! You lucky sod!

How about a drive to London on Sat 27th Nov? There's a Rolling Road day at Power Engineering in Uxbridge.

Enjoy your car. I know I enjoy mine and mine's only a basic spec T5.

Regards

Andy
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:04   #4
mitch850

Cheers Andy, I am unfortunately away that weekend - sods law! Hows your T5 going, Nigel was telling me about it? I'm sure its pretty good if he's been around it. Nigel was mentioning a useful cd disc that you can get for these cars and I was wondering if anyone was able to help me out as to how I might get hold of one.
Regards
Jon
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 10:45   #5
burchi

Hi Jon and welcome to these fora. Trust you will find it useful..

I will echo what others have said. You have got an absolute gem there from Nigel. Glad to see that it's still in the "club" so to speak and that we may get to see it.

There's a performance meet this Sunday at the Crooked Billet if you can make it. Would be good to meet you/see the car if you are able.

The CD Nigel mentions is VADIS. I will PM you about this.

Good luck

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:34   #6
mraldonnelly

Jon,

Yes, the CD Nigel is talking about could very well be VADIS although this is a DVD rather than a CD so needs a DVD drive to read. There is another product which is an American repair manual on CD. Produced by Mitchell, it is designed for workshops but does make a great supplement to a Haynes Manual. It doesn't go through full strip down and rebuild procedures but does contian useful information.

Copies can be found on eBay for a few quid.

My T5 is doing great thanks. For a realtively high miler, ex police car that's spent a lot of her time being thrashed she's in great shape. A few niggling rattles and faults (all of which Nigel pointed out BEFORE I bought her) which I just need to get round to sorting out but apart from that she's fabulous.

I'd love to get her RICA'd but will wait until I've sorted the bits and bobs forst. I also want to stick the 16T turbo, manifold and downpipe on beforehand too. Even then I'm a little worried that a remap would do no good to the old gal.

Regards

Andy
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 17:04   #7
sholtby
Premier Member

I usually shy away from cars that have had a lot of work done to them. Concerned about the quality of work that has been done. In the case of Nigels car I have every faith in all the work he has done.
The only mods I would do to the car now would be to get it chipped which gives a huge boost to the performance and to fit a Volvo strut brace.
Happy motoring.

simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 21:14   #8
mitch850

>I usually shy away from cars that have had a lot of work done
>to them. Concerned about the quality of work that has been
>done. In the case of Nigels car I have every faith in all the
>work he has done.
>The only mods I would do to the car now would be to get it
>chipped which gives a huge boost to the performance and to fit
>a Volvo strut brace.
>Happy motoring.
>
>simon
>

I totally agree with you simon, you never know what sort of mayhem an inexperienced bodger can do with a car - well look what started Nigels work on the car in the first place! However, I knew from what I read on the forum that this car was worth the trip, and then when I spoke to Nigel I knew the car was worth buying.
To be honest the power is fine for me now - it is by far the quickest set of four wheels I've owned, and I need to get to know the car. Also I wouldn't like to put all that power into a newly built engine as I guess it is essentially still being run in. Then again others may think that it is the perfect car to do such a thing?. Tell me about the strut brace, do you or anyone else have one, whats the composition of them? I'm not so sure that they are all they are cracked up to be in a volvo and may be more of an under the bonnet aesthetic thing. However thats my uneducated personal opinion so I'm sure someone will put me right!
cheers
Jon
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 21:20   #9
Al115
Premier Member

Strut braces... some people rave about them, some say they make little difference. The Volvo is pretty stiff already at the front I think, since the strut tops are quite near the bulkhead.

That said I fitted a strut brace to mine... seemed silly not to after £££ of suspension work!

Alastair
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 22:12   #10
mitch850

>Strut braces... some people rave about them, some say they
>make little difference. The Volvo is pretty stiff already at
>the front I think, since the strut tops are quite near the
>bulkhead.
>
>That said I fitted a strut brace to mine... seemed silly not
>to after £££ of suspension work!
>
>
>Alastair

hi Alastair
............and? Did you notice a difference before and after?

How much are they and are there only Volvo strut braces or are there others to choose? I wonder why Volvo chose not to put them on the sportier models as standard as they did pretty much everything else?
Cheers
Jon