Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5 speed auto issues

Views : 1425

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2012, 21:13   #1
blobrob

Default 5 speed auto issues

My gearbox has never been too great on my 1999 2.4 V70R, when I bought it, it was terrible when driven enthusiastically. However an ATF flush cured most of the issues. The only two issues that were still there was a momentary pause and deceleration during gear changes when accelerating hard and jerky gear changes in over run below 20mph. I checked the ATF level and found that it was a little high (when I did the flush I measured the amount of ATF that came out exactly and poured the same amount in so someone overfilled it before me). So last week I drained just under 500ml until it was at the the maximum mark when hot and the gear changes on acceleration have got much better.

So I have 2 issues that I am not concerned about now. Firstly after doing a complete flush of 10l until the oil was red, the oil has turned dark brown in less than 2-3k miles. Surely it should take longer than that. Secondly I still get this jerky downshift when in over run and, especially when braking for a set of traffic lights in town. It kind of feels like there is a shock going through the whole drive train even at the rear wheels like when you get if you don't disengage the clutch at the right time in a manual car with a lot or drive train slack. I also get a feeling that the engine might be rocking. What could be causing this? Engine mounts or solenoids or worse? If its the engine mounts could you advise on how to check them and which ones? The top one has been done recently.

The car has 136k on the clock and it has been looked after very well, full service history but no mention of any work done on the gearbox. Before you mention it, yes I used the correct JWS 3309 oil and I have measured it correctly, gearbox hot and in park after cycling through the gears.
2001 E39 530d Touring Sport Manual because the V70R was too painful on the wallet
blobrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 21:31   #2
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

I can't remember what it is but there is a procedure you can follow that makes the gearbox relearn it's adaptions and can improve the symptoms you describe. Link: http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/10207-f..._1#entry117429 Not sure that's the right one, I'll keep looking for the one I'm thinking of.

I also believe that the ecu has a fluid flush counter which ought to be reset when doing a flush but you will need a volvo dealer, or someone with the computermabob to do it for you.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Feb 19th, 2012 at 21:39.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 21:34   #3
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobrob View Post
So I have 2 issues that I am not concerned about now. Firstly after doing a complete flush of 10l until the oil was red, the oil has turned dark brown in less than 2-3k miles. Surely it should take longer than that.
Not really worth worrying about; the new fluid has picked up all the ****e left on the walls and surfaces in the box. Any ATF left in the box (must have been some, the box uses from 12-14ltrs including TC and cooler) will also have mixed in. Smell it and as long as it's not burnt it should be OK.

Quote:
Secondly I still get this jerky downshift when in over run and, especially when braking for a set of traffic lights in town. It kind of feels like there is a shock going through the whole drive train even at the rear wheels like when you get if you don't disengage the clutch at the right time in a manual car with a lot or drive train slack. I also get a feeling that the engine might be rocking.
Could be a couple of things I can think of;

1. Engine mounts.

Inspect these by eye and also give them a jiggle with a pry bar. The lower torque-rod mount (bolts to subframe and other end to the transmission) it's best to remove and inspect. It can look and feel OK on the car, but fall apart when removed. The other mounts should be obvious by eye when you look at them.

2. The B4 Servo Cover Problem.

Have a look here for more details:

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/driveline.htm

And search down the page for "B4 Servo Cover".

Chris...
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 22:05   #4
blobrob

Wow, 2 posts and a mountain of information in less than half an hour! What a great forum Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.

Looks like the relearning can only be done by a garage with VADIS with experience in doing this. Does not sound cheap.

I have checked the all the engine mounts by eye and all seem fine however I have not removed the transmission mount, so will do that next weekend. Will read into this B4 servo issue too.

BTW I like you sig TurboZutek
2001 E39 530d Touring Sport Manual because the V70R was too painful on the wallet
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 22:24   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Wow, 2 posts and a mountain of information in less than half an hour! What a great forum Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.

Looks like the relearning can only be done by a garage with VADIS with experience in doing this. Does not sound cheap.

I have checked the all the engine mounts by eye and all seem fine however I have not removed the transmission mount, so will do that next weekend. Will read into this B4 servo issue too.

BTW I like you sig TurboZutek
If all else fails then take the car to MRG in Chippenham who are a very good volvo dealer who give forum discounts. They are also very clued up on the performance volvos. If any dealer can help you it's them.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 22:37   #6
blobrob

I have just read that a faulty ABS module can cause harsh down shifts here http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo....htm#635208540. Seeing as my ABS light and traction control light seems to be on most of the time I think I will start with that.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 23:19   #7
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Seeing as my ABS light and traction control light seems to be on most of the time I think I will start with that.
A duff ABS unit in the later cars like these can cause all manner of oddities on the auto trans.

Chris...
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 01:43   #8
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

A pair of faulty solenoids led to the demise of my V70R AWD, try and see if you have any codes, you will eventually lose drive when they fail, also the fluid will cook itself..

HTH Gary.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:03   #9
blobrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
A duff ABS unit in the later cars like these can cause all manner of oddities on the auto trans.

Chris...
Seems like the ABS module does everything on these cars, speedo, traction control, ABS, gearbox and AWD does not work without it...

I only have a generic OBDII reader and I have not got any gearbox codes, only a speedo error code which I assume refers to the ABS module and a cat code which I have mentioned in another thread.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 09:37   #10
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Yeah the ABS supplies vehicle speed to all the other systems - without which a lot doesn't work!