Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking from O/S/R on Volvo S60 R

Views : 1677

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 11:26   #1
santa20

Default Knocking from O/S/R on Volvo S60 R

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get some diangostics steps or likely causes.

I have a Volvo S60 R and it has developed a knocking noise when going over bumps (not all the time though). Also my handbrake keeps changing the position when it locks the rear wheels, sometimes the amount to move the handbrake is quite short (below the level of the gear stick knob) and sometimes the handbrake movement is alot (I can't imagine it would go much higher).

The knocking noise seems to disappear when moving at speed (i.e. 80mph ish) even over the horrid motorway surface found on some parts of the M42 and M25.

Any ideas or any diagnostics I can perform to get more information?

Many Thanks :-)
santa20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:49   #2
Tomo9945

I had a knocking noise on the rear of mine. It only happened when going over humps or turning at roundabouts?! The local dealer diagnosed the problem as the rear spring isolators. Apparently, they are the rubber cones that sit on the shocks. The part costs £5, but labour to fit them at the main dealers can be a bit expensive. Hope that may help with that problem..
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:31   #3
D5driver
No Spam here

Also my handbrake keeps changing the position when it locks the rear wheels, sometimes the amount to move the handbrake is quite short (below the level of the gear stick knob) and sometimes the handbrake movement is alot (I can't imagine it would go much higher).

That sounds like you need new brake shoes. The lining comes off the shoe, common problem.
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 13:41   #4
santa20

Hi Guys,

Sorry for my late reply. (Busy weekend working )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo9945 View Post
I had a knocking noise on the rear of mine. It only happened when going over humps or turning at roundabouts?! The local dealer diagnosed the problem as the rear spring isolators. Apparently, they are the rubber cones that sit on the shocks. The part costs £5, but labour to fit them at the main dealers can be a bit expensive. Hope that may help with that problem..
Hi Tomo, I don't get the knocking noise when turning, just over bumps. Did you have the handbrake problem at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5driver View Post
Also my handbrake keeps changing the position when it locks the rear wheels, sometimes the amount to move the handbrake is quite short (below the level of the gear stick knob) and sometimes the handbrake movement is alot (I can't imagine it would go much higher).

That sounds like you need new brake shoes. The lining comes off the shoe, common problem.
Hi D5driver, Would this cause the knocking noise I have been experiencing?

Cheers for the responses guys :-)
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 13:52   #5
Tomo9945

No handbrake problem at all...and I didn't get the knocking all the time when going around roundabouts, but all the time over humps. I maybe wrong, but its a cheap fix if it is!
Tomo9945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:54   #6
grainqey
Master Member

i get a knocking over bumps in my s60, might be worth checking the drop links (on mine it sounds a bit like the spring twanging at times as i drop down from speed bumps and stuff)
grainqey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 20:58   #7
skirmish998

check the rear subframe mount point bushes. The one on my 850 osr have gone and are about to be replaced. I get knocks over bumps and the handbrake issue. leave in gear and handbrake off on lever ground, take hold of wheel and try to roll the wheel and look for play if you can see the mount or ask someone for help if its not visible. that or jack her up and take a good look under neath. hope this helps id or rule out another possibility.
Steve
skirmish998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:54   #8
santa20

Cheers again guys :-) I will try and find some time to check these suggestions out :-)