Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To 'R' or not to 'R' - that is the question...

Views : 4588

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:27   #41
aland

Dave, that was my thoughts too.
For years i've run winters/summers on my D5 with different wheel sets, which really help in winter.
I know from the previous owner of the R that it wasn't great in snow with summer tyres, even though it's AWD. He described it as hilarious but bad!

I thought the 17's could turn into the winter set once the existing tyres are worn down.
Also gives plenty of time to sort the 18's.
I created a new thread here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283103 to ask for opinions on using spacers.

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:35   #42
Turbodave
VOC Member

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that mine has rarely seen adverse weather but on the rare occasion that it has, the current P-Zeros are pretty appalling. I did debate swapping to all seasons and may still do that yet but the thought of driving it in cold, wet, dark conditions really doesn't appeal hence I run the V70 D5 alongside which I've just put Dunlop SportMaxx on but assuming it lasts that long, for winter I'll consider smaller wheels with all seasons (full winters are overkill IMO) and that in helps reduce some of the stress R ownership brings! The AWD element helps you get moving but it doesn't stop you under-steering in to a tree on an icy bend or sliding gracefully in to the back of a bus... hence, it generally stays in the garage when the risk of that is high!
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 15:55   #43
Turbodave
VOC Member

Set of replicas on Marketplace in Aberdeen for £320.00 or there abouts...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...08940655928670
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 16:40   #44
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Set of replicas on Marketplace in Aberdeen for £320.00 or there abouts...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...08940655928670
Thanks, as 3 of mine are OK and I now have the 17's, think i'll wait and try and find a good single 18, so then I can refurb a set of 4.

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:46   #45
aland

Default R finally on the road again!

Well, the R is now road-legal, and my trusty D5 is sold, I think to another forumite - if Dave T is reading this, make yourself known!
Right now i'm missing the D5 more than i'm loving the R. The D5 was simply brilliant. Still not sure swapping to the R was a good move.

Anyway... R driven for the first time in over a month yesterday. A chance to bed in the new Brembo discs at the front.
After a few miles and abrupt stops, they are improving, but still not 100%. Hopefully with more use they will improve.

Suspension rattle better since replacing the front droplinks, but still a noise, from the back I think. Rear droplinks seem OK (no play), so unsure where right now.

Stainless Steel exhaust is not noisy at speed (relief) but you can hear it at low speed / maneuvering, but not annoyingly so. I don't think it makes any difference to power, even if it is a wider bore. At least it's not rotten and rubbing the propshaft like the original.

It's currently running the 18" wheels as i've not bought spacers for the 17's yet. Unfortunately the wheel refurb co who couldn't refurb 1 (so I didn't go ahead) didn't balance them when they refitted the tyres, so I have serious vibration at speed. I don't see the point in paying to balance them when I want to refurb when I find a replacement 18, so i'll order the spacers for the 17's today and fit those. They are apparently just balanced - certainly the weights fitted look new.

Average MPG showing 18ish MPG so far... but I might have been hooning it a bit.

It's bleeting that it's due a service, and as it has a fully stamped service book i'll take it to my local friendly garage to do that and stamp it.

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 14:33   #46
Turbodave
VOC Member

I completely understand...

I have both and to be honest, I couldn't live with an R day in, day out... the D5 does everything required of it with the same levels of equipment, space and in the real world, pace and can be driven with a care free attitude towards potholes, errant parking types and general abuse plus doing 700 miles on a tank of diesel is a lovely feeling.

However...

The D5 doesn't come close to the driving experience of an R and those who say it does are frankly talking bollocks. The R is so much more focused, sharper, eager and gives a sense of drama that the D5 can't even come close to. As for saying the D5 is almost as quick, granted off the mark, round the doors etc then a D5 is perfectly acceptable but the R is infinitely faster at speed... as long as the road is smooth!

I'm glad to hear you have it on the road, teething issues aside... and I hope it serves you well but mine was just too unreliable to be used daily and the subsequent repairs were usually quite involved hence when first purchased and being recommissioned as it were, it was never my daily driver and as it progressed and swallowed more money, it just remained as a weekend thing which I'm totally fine with. Be good to hear how you get on with it as a daily driver, braver than me or perhaps the issue is that they have issues due to a lack of use... perhaps driving them all day every day is the answer!

Welcome to the club!
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 14:56   #47
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Be good to hear how you get on with it as a daily driver, braver than me or perhaps the issue is that they have issues due to a lack of use... perhaps driving them all day every day is the answer!
Thanks Dave.
As I work from home 99% of the time these days I don't really have a daily driver as such.
I used to do 25k miles/year when I originally bought the D5, but it's only done 3-4k/year recently, since I changed jobs.
I can sort-of justify the extra fuel costs of the R based on so few miles.
I also have the use of 2 other cars most of the time, so hopefully can pick and choose to use the R when appropriate.

Wheel spacers ordered, hopefully the 17's will improve things.

Old Jul 6th, 2018, 11:05   #48
aland

Wheel spacers arrived... But they have sent 63.4mm inside bore and not 65.1 as ordered. Also, the 'extended' wheel bolts are the same length as standard. So now waiting for them to collect / refund / then I can re-order. What a pain.

Car went into my local garage for minor service yesterday (as last one 13k miles ago had everything changed!).

They replaced: Oil & filter, and topped up the screenwash.... £158 !! Ouch!
But I did get a stamp in the service book.
The oil alone on the invoice was £75+VAT - some type of liquid gold obviously!
I could have done the same for a third of the price!... is a fully stamped service book worth the cost vs future resale value?

Also... the new owner of my D5 has created a thread on PistonHeads: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=47&t=1752436
I'm slightly offended by 'shed' but I appreciate it's now a cheap car. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with it.

Old Jul 6th, 2018, 12:26   #49
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Alan
I would say do all of the work you can your self as it is not a New car then you know what make parts was used , don't throw away cash, when you know that you can do a good job,

How does the R feel compered to your old D5, I Have a tuned 2002 D5 ,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 13:30   #50
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
I would say do all of the work you can your self as it is not a New car then you know what make parts was used , don't throw away cash, when you know that you can do a good job,
Yes, I did that on my D5 once it got to about 10 years old, and the extensive history seemed to help with the sale, despite the mileage.
Think i'll do the future work on this myself, considerably cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
How does the R feel compered to your old D5, I Have a tuned 2002 D5 ,
Dave
It's a very different animal. The suspension is harder, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. I'm hoping that moving to 17's will improve this a bit also.
The clutch seems quite aggressive - much more 'on/off' than the D5. I believe it's an upgraded clutch fitted into these so probably expected.
I'm currently listening out for every noise. Seems there is something rattling at the back, might be the exhaust tail pipe hitting the bumper - the SS exhaust is slightly wider than the original there.
MPG currently terrible - should improve with use / longer trips / less 'energetic' driving.