Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removal of wing mirrors

Views : 343

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 09:40   #1
richiekuk

Default Removal of wing mirrors

Now i have the passenger side mirror off the car for the dreaded aluminium corrosion in the baseplate.

Is there a way to split the plastic part from the ally part?
There appears to be a ferrule and a spring. Looks like i'd have to drill the top off the ferrule, which would then never go back together.

Hmm, head scratching
richiekuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richiekuk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 12:14   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

There's a slot under the mirror to insert a screwdriver to remove the glass from the mirror housing. Then you will see the outer edge will unclip with some persuasion, to remove the plastic backing you will then need to drill the bonded plastic "rivets" they're actually part of the backing moulding to release them from the aluminium frame inside the mirror.

I did this to get my spare corrosion free mirrors painted and I'm yet to reassemble them, I'll use a washer for strength and a two part adhesive to glue the backing on to the aluminium frame.

I'll get some photos later so you can see what I mean as I'm sure what I've wrote doesn't make that much sense without seeing them all apart.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 15:29   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
There's a slot under the mirror to insert a screwdriver to remove the glass from the mirror housing. Then you will see the outer edge will unclip with some persuasion, to remove the plastic backing you will then need to drill the bonded plastic "rivets" they're actually part of the backing moulding to release them from the aluminium frame inside the mirror.

I did this to get my spare corrosion free mirrors painted and I'm yet to reassemble them, I'll use a washer for strength and a two part adhesive to glue the backing on to the aluminium frame.

I'll get some photos later so you can see what I mean as I'm sure what I've wrote doesn't make that much sense without seeing them all apart.
Check the mirror casing first; Volvo modified(sic) the casings on the later 900-series cars by removing that slot and revising the mirror glass so it became a fit-once, break-once component, with a different backing-plate... If you have the later type your only hope is to split the shell along the seam; which will require you to keep your fingers crossed as you do the job.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 15:39   #4
richiekuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

Pretty sure I know what you mean.
That would be my only gripe. Having to glue them back together.

We shall see how bad the corrosion is. And whether I can paint them in one piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to richiekuk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 16:22   #5
bob12
bob12

The basic design of the mirror casing didn't really change much between a 740 and a 940 until much later on towards the end of the 940 production run when the design morphed to something similar to 850/v70's etc whereby the various component parts came apart easily.

With the introduction of 940's the door faceplate changed (came down lower) allowing a shorter window scraper to terminate in the mirror faceplate rather than pass under the faceplate as in 740's. The other change was the way in which the mirror was attached to the tilt motor. The mirror rather than a beng released and fitted via a small hole and a screwdriver on the underside the modern system of 'push on' appeared. Basically once on the mirror doesen't release easily but, with time you can get it off without breaking it! This change resulted in a tilt motor with a slightly different mirror fixing ring. In fact when I smashed up my V70's mirror a few years ago breaking the tilt ring I replaced it with one from a 940.

I have both 740 and 940 mirror casings and both are constructed in a same way. You can separate the black plasic part of the casing from the pot metal frame by drilling out the heads of the 6 plactic 'rivets' forming part of the black outer plastic casing so destroying them. This also entails separating the front black plastic trim section from the back section of the casing to allow the back section of casing to be removed. You are then left with the faceplate attached to the pot metal frame. The the spring loaded mirror frame is mounted on a pintle that is fixed at the top by pressure folding the furrule over on itself. Yes, you could cut it off but the problem remains of how to re-fit it easily.

Having been all through this years ago I cleaned up the pot metal of the faceplate and after masking up the mirror spray painted the faceplace.

These photos are actually of a 740 mirror the majority of 940's are the same.

Oops, had a rethink and looked at a dismantled mirror resulting in a drastic re-write as above!

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror Frame 1.jpg (214.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Frame 2.jpg (274.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Frame 3.jpg (272.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Frame 4.jpg (169.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by bob12; Mar 6th, 2024 at 16:56.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 23:57   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

I've not done this particular repair but based on experience working on similar pieces of kit I've got a couple of tips.

Firstly, it is sometimes possible to release that sort of melted plastic bond using heat. I've done it on smaller versions using a soldering iron. If a similar approach is possible here it might leave more of the original moulding intact which will help when reassembling the mirror unit.

Also, if you do end up having to glue it back together, I have found JB Weld Plastic Bonder Black very effective for that sort of repair. One of the internal side brackets on the rear bumper of my V90 is held on using JB Weld to replace the broken plastic welds and it is holding up very well. You need to clean the surfaces and let them dry thoroughly first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8051.jpg (224.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Forrest; Mar 7th, 2024 at 00:00.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 17:41   #7
richiekuk

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/pictu...ictureid=12187

I decided to have a go at painting it in one piece.
I never close my mirrors so I’ll make them look good open.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richiekuk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 10:43   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Very interesting discussion this, as I bought a pair of mirrors to paint VerdiGris... They're currently Coral Red - lol @Richie you could have had my factory painted ones as a swap

A bit annoying that they're constructed this way, I've always appreciated the way you can repair most Volvo parts.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: