Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pair of OEM Volvo door mirrors

Views : 2963

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2015, 11:23   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

It was quite common in the USA to fit the Lucas mirrors. These have round heads and thin arms. They are also repro'd now but I don't know what the quality is like. Everyone has got used to the Volvo "type" of mirror and can say that the Lucas ones are wrong, but in some ways they are just as wrong as the Volvo ones.
I use a wide angle add on for the overly small interior mirror and with that you can see the whole of the back window and part of both side windows. Especially good on the estate. That does have GT type wing mirrors but I can't say they are very informative.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 12:11   #12
Underdrive

Had a look at my mirror (still good chrome after 50 years!) part number is 1213604 IMP, brookhouse number is different but replacement head is 1213608. A quick google search for the part number shows some places in U.S. selling 'original' ones. Desmo used to make some similar mirrors. I have one somewhere but it seems to be hiding out of sight in the shed so can't quote the part number. Don't know if Desmo are still going but s/h ones will be around I'm sure.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 19:17   #13
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Everyone has got used to the Volvo "type" of mirror and can say that the Lucas ones are wrong, but in some ways they are just as wrong as the Volvo ones.
Can't comment on the USA market cars, but any UK ones built prior to the introduction of the Volvo door mirrors (think this was probably late '60s at the earliest - not certain of the exact year) would have originally had accessory mirrors such as the aforementioned Lucas ones, or other brands such as Desmo, whether dealer or owner fitted. As such, for most Amazons I believe that accessory wing mirrors are much more appropriate and period correct than Volvo's own door mirrors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I use a wide angle add on for the overly small interior mirror and with that you can see the whole of the back window and part of both side windows. Especially good on the estate. That does have GT type wing mirrors but I can't say they are very informative.
If one can be acquired for sensible money, certain versions of the '60s Lucas dipping rear view mirror fit straight into the Volvo mountings at the top of the screen. This is the type with the polished ally casing & chrome stem - as fitted to Mini Coopers, '60s Jaguars and quite a few expensive vehicles of the era - mine came from a Jag MkII. Due to the dipping function alone, it is an excellent upgrade in my opinion, and it seems to be pretty much the only period correct (and also period looking) dipping mirror that provides a decent angle of view.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 10:43   #14
paul staines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREWNT View Post
That doesn't sound good I have just bought some of these to fit to my car as it had no mirrors, now just wondering whether I should fit them, seems odd they would be sold if such poor quality as I have normally found Brookhouse very good to deal with so got the mirrors from them instead off getting some copy Porsche door mirrors I was considering.
I assume mirror placement purely depends on each individual drivers size there is no set place, if there is a best place can someone post details please
Just do what I did . Sit in the car and get a mate to position it until you can see clearly a set point. It did work for me . even then only just with the mirror adjusted to it`s extreme point. Regards Paul
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul staines For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 15:48   #15
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

The plastic liner cups that Derek UK mentioned earlier, seem to give a good solution to increase the articulation of the mirrors.
Have now fitted these I would say it is much easier to get the mirrors into the best rear vision position. Also being black plastic they are almost invisible when fitted and have the benefit of making a better (soft) fit on tightening the adjustment screw on the back of the mirror frames, which seems like a win/win.
Details below;
http://www.ldparts.co.uk/shop/shop.p...0&sid=sidd6fb2
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 00:35   #16
Carlsson 986

Default Mirrors

Just finished mounting both driver and passenger mirrors and did them on my own!

Get some masking tape and stick to the door over the area that you think you want the mirror. Trace an outline around the plastic base to show where you think you want the mirror to be, then sit inside the car and position the mirror over the outline that you drew, and see if it's in the right place. If not, move until happy and trace the final position before you get out. As a safeguard against dropping while playing around with it, I tied some twine around the stem and tied the other end to the steering wheel, so if it did slip, it wouldn't fall far!!

With the quarterlight open there is about 10-15mm between it and the mirror edge.

Quite happy with the result imo, except that the passenger side is a bit floppy - do you have to re-tension the spring in some way?

Ric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150426_125915.jpg (106.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20150426_130020.jpg (105.9 KB, 28 views)
Carlsson 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlsson 986 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 00:38   #17
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

how have these lasted for you?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 13:08   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

What are you asking Dai? The mirror shown looks a bit second hand with some "patina" so possibly an original. Click the pics out to max size and you will see.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 13:50   #19
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If they are originals I suspect they will last well.

It would be nice if some good retro ones were about that last more than a few months.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 17:03   #20
Carlsson 986

They're still there! Bought as originals second hand with some pitting on stems but heads are ok. Drivers glass silvering has deteriorated a little but not enough to cause an issue or necessitate replacement yet. Passenger side spring is floppy so stem moves a bit. Someone has tried to tighten the base screw chewing it in the process otherwise I'd have had it off and sorted. Don't use that side much anyway!

Ric
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlsson 986 For This Useful Post: