Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160097

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2016, 21:29   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Thoughts?

Wisdom comes from the multitude of counsellors, as they say....

Mrs A and I are beginning to think about life after the turtle. We're off to the Porsche & BMW dealerships in Edinburgh on Saturday.

Option 1: Porsche Macan Diesel S (V6 twin turbo 3.0 with double clutch PDK auto box). Mrs A says it ain't no thing of beauty, which might prove difficult to overcome.

Option 2: BMW X3 x-line 3.0d auto. Issue here is the upcoming revised 2017 model that can't yet be seen anywhere online or in the flesh. There's no way we're buying another car without test driving the exact engine spec etc - did that on the VEA D4 current XC60, results documented extensively elsewhere on this forum in a thread now buried in the mists of time.

Had briefly considered an XC60 D5 AWD but the model hasn't long to go and thereafter we can kiss goodbye to anything other than the soundtrack and experience of anything other than 4cyl turbos.

All opinion and feedback gratefully received. I'll update this thread after Saturday's two test drives and dealer experiences.

Arianne
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 21:36   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Considering your time-scale, and also the waiting list for the Macan and the X3, you might also consider the Jaguar F-Pace. Not yet in the dealers, but the two 'first impressions' appeared in Autocar and Autoexpress last week. I only glanced at them, but they seemed positive.
There will also be a new Q5 soon. You should put this on your shortlist (which I have now doubled for you) !
GLC would be a no-no for me only because there ain't no spare wheel.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 22:09   #3
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
....... you might also consider the Jaguar F-Pace. Not yet in the dealers, but the two 'first impressions' appeared in Autocar and Autoexpress last week. I only glanced at them, but they .....
Nigel, I had hoped the F-pace would be a serious contender but unless I want to be paying a price of £51k+ then I am stuck with the 4cyl Ingenium engine which seems suspiciously similar to the VEA in our Volvo. No discounts (true too of the Porsche) on the Jaguar.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Arianne
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 22:20   #4
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Nigel, I had hoped the F-pace would be a serious contender but unless I want to be paying a price of £51k+ then I am stuck with the 4cyl Ingenium engine which seems suspiciously similar to the VEA in our Volvo. No discounts (true too of the Porsche) on the Jaguar.

Arianne
Discounts on the F-Pace won't be long in coming. I understand, as an ex-XF owner still monitoring the relevant forum, that the new XE and XF are already being offered at significant discounts. And these are cars which Autocar places as class leaders. There's so much over capacity in the premium sector that prices can't hold up for all of them. Perhaps Porsche will be immune but only by restricting production. If you can wait, perhaps you should. Even PCP buyers won't be unaffected since residual values will fall leaving no equity from GMFV.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 17:45   #5
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
Discounts on the F-Pace won't be long in coming. I understand, as an ex-XF owner still monitoring the relevant forum, that the new XE and XF are already being offered at significant discounts. And these are cars which Autocar places as class leaders. There's so much over capacity in the premium sector that prices can't hold up for all of them. Perhaps Porsche will be immune but only by restricting production. If you can wait, perhaps you should. Even PCP buyers won't be unaffected since residual values will fall leaving no equity from GMFV.
I drove a V6 F-Pace at Millbrook last year having just done exactly the same test drive in a manual 'box XC60 D5. New to the market, the other car being phased out, I was shocked at the difference between the two and wouldn't have given a thank you for the F-Pace in comparison with the XC60.

The XC60 (an R-Design) felt more alert, more powerful (yes with one cylinder less and a shortfall in BHP too!) and very much more comfortable too.

I have never,. since the FWD diesel X-type - driven a Jaguar that so disappointed, that or the XC60 is a much finer car than even we would give it credit for. Wouldn't consider the X3, but it would be interesting to try a Macan - I actually like the look of it, but suspect that, all round, I would still prefer the XC60!
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 18:53   #6
xc60ed

I parked next to an F Pace this morning and have to say that I feel that the shape of it is dating already. When I test drove one several months ago I thought it looked ok but the 2.0d was woeful compared to my D5. Now I really have gone off the looks and would not consider one even if they upped the power of the lower priced diesels. The Porsche is too expensive so for me my next car will probably be between the new XC60 and new VW Touareg as both will have good discounts 12-18 months after launch.
xc60ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 22:57   #7
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post

Arianne
The next-generation Touareg is due in 2017. Not as 'trendy' but solid as a rock and slightly more unusual than the ubiquitous X3. Based upon the (new) Q7 platform but 'better value', and you could still afford a few interesting options. Bullet-proof 3-litre 6-cylinder chain cam engine. Might be too large however.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 23:36   #8
norco

New Tiguan is much larger and nicer looking than first gen. Boot same as X3 according to reports. Higher power diesels 178 and 220(?) should also be good. Then there's the new skoda Kodiak which will be 4.7m long so plenty of room if you get past the badge. GLC 250d got good recent report on what car too. Disco sport needs probs sorting first according to it's forum but it's growing on me. X3 shape a little odd. Macan very small compared to xc60. Too many choices..hmm F Pace.......
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 10:24   #9
Rai
Aging New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norco View Post
New Tiguan is much larger and nicer looking than first gen. Boot same as X3 according to reports. Higher power diesels 178 and 220(?) should also be good.
As far as I know the configurator for the new Tiguan for Germany was just launched and I was disappointed to see that the only diesel engine available is the same old 4cyl 2.0 TDI at 150PS. Compared to the outgoing model, not that different from the outside either. However, they seem to have definitely fixed the boot problem.

To each his own taste and preference of course, but I believe the exterior of the Macan is great. The interior is nowhere near the elegance of the exterior. If I could afford the GTS, I wouldn't mind the interior either

My wife and I both loved the new XC90 to be honest, if we were in the market now; it would be our first pick.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rai For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 23:44   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
The next-generation Touareg is due in 2017. Not as 'trendy' but solid as a rock and slightly more unusual than the ubiquitous X3. Based upon the (new) Q7 platform but 'better value', and you could still afford a few interesting options. Bullet-proof 3-litre 6-cylinder chain cam engine. Might be too large however.
Who made the V6 engine fitted in the Discovery / Range Rover Sport? Their pair of EGR valves are a know problem with the engine.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 27th, 2016 at 23:48.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan