Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault codes resolved?

Views : 8081

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2017, 22:36   #1
Ade2015

Default Fault codes resolved?

Hi all. Do you think this is now resolved?
The misses and kids got stuck last night and had to be recovered.
Messages shown were; 'Anti-skid service required' and 'Transmission service required' on the display.
I've checked DTCs with VIDA and initially found:
1) BCM-0101 Comms problems with ECM
2) ECM-23E0 Injector cyl 5 - signal missing
3) ECM-3553 Misfire cyl 5 - emission agitation
4) ECM-5720 Comms, Transmission Control Module (TCM) - faulty signal
5) TCM-0A31 Control module comms signal missing from Engine Control Module (ECM)
Having erased the codes a couple of times, the ones that have regularly come back are; 1), 2), 5)
I've ignored the other two codes and concentrated on 2), assuming that the other ones are related to this initial fault. Have checked injector resistance, wiring resistance between injector 5 and ECM and all seems to be ok. Was expecting to find a broken wire, but nothing obvious!
So, I've used some contact cleaner on the connections and put it back together this evening. Been for a 25 min drive at various speeds and no codes back as yet.
Does anyone believe that spraying the contacts could have resolved this?! Just seems a bit too easy a solution (and not expensive enough!). Are there any other likely causes to check out?
We've got a 2 hour long trip planned tomorrow, so I guess that should test it out pretty well.....
Ade2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 23:40   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade2015 View Post
HiDoes anyone believe that spraying the contacts could have resolved this?!
In short, no but time will tell.
You can only worry about or fix codes if they are there so given that they're not there, don't worry until they are.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 20:56   #3
Ade2015

No such luck today! Same codes re-appeared a couple of times, but took the laptop with me and cleared them. Think I have now traced it to a dodgy connector on the loom that connects to cylinder 5 injector. It seems to make a poor connection when the connector has heated up as I can make the car run poorly (or better) by moving the wires into the plug. A bit of tape to hold the wire in a good position seemed to prevent the codes re-appearing temporarily to get us home today!
I've had the loom plug apart this afternoon and tried to get my local Volvo dealer to identify the part required, without much luck - he's ordered something but isn't certain what, and it will be a couple of days!

After a bit more searching on here it looks like Clan has previously quoted the terminal repair part I need as being 30765319

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200148

They look like Bosch BDK terminals P/N 1928498055, so I might also try a local Bosch service centre tomorrow and see if I can get them any quicker/cheaper

Fingers crossed that it's still a relatively simple fix!
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 12:49   #4
Fraze026

Did changing the plug on Cylinder 5 work? did you resolve this as I am having the exact same issue, identical fault codes....
Fraze026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 13:20   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Poor injector connections are relatively common and will cause such problems as you experience.

With time, the temperature and vibration of the connectors on the engine will cause the contact pressure on the pins to weaken

You can clean the contacts with contact cleaner - make sure you do the connector and the injectors pins, and connect and disconnect the connector when the pins are wet with cleaner to ensure the cleaner wipes over all the mating surfaces.

You can try and make the pin contacts tighter - this is very tricky, as you do not want to deform the pins. To do this you need to remove pin from the connector, then bend the pin a bit to apply a bit more contact pressure, and reinsert into the housing. Tricky if you are not familiar with the process.

However the only long term reliable solution is to replace the pins in the connector with new pins.
Volvo sell pins crimped to a length of wire to solve exactly this problem. You remove the old pin, fit the new pin, and make a wire join.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 13:35   #6
Fraze026

Thanks a lot Swiss, I must admit it I was a bit thrown by the car throwing EVERYTHING into limp mode! Ill get on it, wasn't aware it was common on these cars
Fraze026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 11:40   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraze026 View Post
...wasn't aware it was common on these cars
There are multiple posts on this forum of people with injector connection issues

I also have these issues, but only on one injector, and extremely rarely (one error every 3 months or so), and for me it never causes any issues apart from logging the error.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 18:32   #8
Ade2015

Sorry for slow response on this - don't check as often as I used to!
I used the Volvo terminal repair kit in the end and soldered it in to replace the connectors to injector 5. Since then have had absolutely no issues, so happy to say it resolved the issue for me.
I left a little additional length on the loom after the repair as it had seemed a bit tight when I took it out - could possibly be why this connector failed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ade2015 For This Useful Post: