Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear antiroll bar bush replacement

Views : 10286

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2013, 20:18   #11
T5RatherAmusin
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post
These were 19mm, but it's worth just checking. Just measure the diameter of the ARB, it's parallel under the bush.
best way to measure your arbs is to wap the open end of a spanner(adjustable if its easier for you) around the bar to measure it...
for what its worth mine are 23mm front 22mm rear
T5RatherAmusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 22:42   #12
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post
These were 19mm, but it's worth just checking. Just measure the diameter of the ARB, it's parallel under the bush.

Those are the ones I'm getting shortly,I also knocked the bracket apart at the weekend and it came apart very easily. At least it shouldn't be too hard to do on the car.....I hope!

This is my spare ARB

Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Northface For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 21:42   #13
myshed

Thought I'd add my 2 pennyworth!

1. Had planned to take off arb since task appeared simpler on bench than under the car. Mistake - don't go there, the bushes CAN be replaced in situ

2. The bushes from Latvia work fine - they do seem large, and the hole for the arb small, but it is all OK.

3. No need to undo the drop links - just undo the bolts holding the bushes in place; there is enough movement in the arb

4. Each bracket is in 2 parts - see photos in earlier post - the outer part has a "bush" pressing which centres on the bolt hole of the inner part, so when seperating the two parts, be aware the outer needs to "spring out" from the inner, then it all falls apart quite easily. The method described elsewhere of a thin bladed screwdriver driven between the two parts followed by something a bit thicker (bigger screwdriver!) works well, but you might find you need to work on opposite sides of the bracket.

5. I thought I had a real problem getting the old bush off - it seemed to be vulcanised all round, and the Stanley knife seemed to take ages. Now, I acquired an old carving knife for my general toolbox - much stronger then a Stanley blade. Just honed a fresh edge on it, and the bushes were off within minutes - no heat, do danger! Finished off with very coarse (40) wet n dry

6. new bushes need to be cut - carving knife worked brilliantly. Then I applied a bit of paraffin wax to friction surfaces of new bush and she slipped on a treat.

7. Now I was really worried about compressing the bush. Don't be. Assemble as best as poss (yes it's tight!) then place as best as poss in position (thinks "this is NEVER going to fit!") place a bottle jack or similar under assembled bush and bracket, and start cranking it up. At first, there is sufficient slack to be able to adjust the position by hand, but continue cranking up until all in position - or is it? Both legs of the outer bracket are forced out by the compressed bush, but surprised me that the holes actually DO line up, and when the bolt and nut are fitted and tightened, it will close the two parts of the bracket very well indeed.

8. Would advise you ensure you have 2 off 18mm ring spanners - makes the clamping up of the bolts a doddle. I found sockets and their drivers too fat/long to fit.

9. I guess the actual work took me probably about an hour each side - took me longer cos I was faffing about seeing how to get the arb off. All that's needed is a bit of patience.

If, like I was, you are a bit apprehensive - don't be. It might be a bit fiddly, but it is very straight forward.
myshed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to myshed For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 13:07   #14
jnmonaghan

Went under the car on Tuesday with the intension of changing the bushes on the Rear ARB, but I chickened out,- as I couldn't see how the bushes from Lativa could be compressed. Tuesday night I read this thread, and once I realised that a bottle jack is used to compress the bushes,I tackled the job on Wednesday morning, and job is a good un.
I cut the 19mm bushes along the flat edge. -- When the 2 brackets were on the work bench, I put a 1mm chamfer on the outer edges, of the bolt hole,
of the smaller bracket to help locate the spigot on the inner sides of the larger outer bracket.
Also, found I had to use chisels, rather than screwdrivers to separate the brackets
One of the old bushes was free to slide on the ARB,while the other was vulcanised
The diameter of the jack handle was --- 19mm. - Found this handy when lining things up in the vice, prior fitting

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 14:05   #15
AdamV7087

Sorry to drag up an old thread but where are people getting these bushes from?
AdamV7087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 16:36   #16
Chris1Roll

Ebay seller in Latvia (or is it Lithuania?)

These are the ones I fitted to our 2001 V70XC (16mm bar) a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274691940...mis&media=COPY

It's abit of a pain as once you have established the diameter of your ARB, the listings don't tend to have the size in the title so you have to open them all one by one until you happen across the correct size. Quicker on a laptop that mobile device!
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 19:43   #17
Chris1Roll

Few pics to help:

Old chisel to split the brackets:

Scissor jack and bit of CLS to compress bush and get the holes lined up:

All done:
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post: