Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Brake Caliper Seal

Views : 388

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2018, 16:29   #1
MWMan

Default Front Brake Caliper Seal

It had to happen I guess. !45,000 miles and the front NS caliper seized on me.

I have stripped the caliper (some corrosion on the piston, and the seal obviously damaged). I bought a new seal and piston kit from Bigg Red, and it looks to be an exact match for the Volvo parts I'm taking off. However............ having cleaned everything up really well, and applying plenty of rubber grease, I am really struggling to get the outer seal in place. I have searched the internet and there are quite a few videos on refitting the seals, but they are all different to ours. The V70 outer seal fits over the piston housing, and the seal had a reinforced outer edge to fit onto the housing. Because its reinforced, its not very stretchy, and I am really struggling to get it pull over and fit onto the sealing ring. My worry is I will rip the rubber seal.

Has anyone on the forum done this before? Is there an easy (easier) way to get the seal into place. Its probably just a case of using carefully controlled brute force, but I thought I would ask, before I wreck the seal.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seal Photo.jpg (68.3 KB, 68 views)
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 22:49   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Basic I know but I'm just wondering if warming the seal with a hairdryer would soften it up enough to make it easier to work with?

That's what I'd try initially.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 23:03   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Also, if you look at this video from 11 minutes in where he fits the seal before fitting the piston then lines up the piston and uses a foot pump/compressed air to blow the seal sides back over the piston.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 23:43   #4
Austin160
Master Member

It's probably just my experience, but I first used a Big Red kit on a non- Volvo about 10 years ago, and everything was fine.
I then 'attempted' to use another one of their kits about 5 years ago, and found that the 'dust cover' was made from what looked and felt more like plastic than the normal pliable rubber - just cheap and nasty looking and feeling.
Ended up buying reconditioned calipers.
Have things changed again, or was I just unlucky at that time?
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 06:16   #5
MWMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Basic I know but I'm just wondering if warming the seal with a hairdryer would soften it up enough to make it easier to work with?

That's what I'd try initially.
Good point, I will try that today. It only needs a little bit of movement and I'm sure it will pop on - and stay on hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Also, if you look at this video from 11 minutes in where he fits the seal before fitting the piston then lines up the piston and uses a foot pump/compressed air to blow the seal sides back over the piston.
This is a very good video and the one I had been using as a guide. When it comes to fitting the outer seal however, the caliper he is overhauling has two sealing slots inside the caliper. One for the inner sealing ring (like ours) and one for the outer seal (not like ours). Our caliper outer seal just slips over the sealing ring. Its tight to get on obviously, but tightness looks like its the only thing that keeps it in place once its there. I'm now worried about the grease I have put on to help get it on - it might help it come off again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
It's probably just my experience, but I first used a Big Red kit on a non- Volvo about 10 years ago, and everything was fine.
I then 'attempted' to use another one of their kits about 5 years ago, and found that the 'dust cover' was made from what looked and felt more like plastic than the normal pliable rubber - just cheap and nasty looking and feeling.
Ended up buying reconditioned calipers.
Have things changed again, or was I just unlucky at that time?
I did a bit of research before buying them and Bigg Red seemed to get good feedback from users. The guy in the video Simon attached, is also using Bigg Red parts. The seal quality looks good, but I was concerned about the machining of the cylinders. However, having checked them with my digital calipers, they are as near as dammit exactly the same diameter.

Thanks both for the feedback - I'll try again today and report back
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 17:05   #6
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

You know what, give in and just buy a reconditioned caliper. There's only so much of a fight that you can put up against a world that is determined to make everything around us completely disposable.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 07:14   #7
MWMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
You know what, give in and just buy a reconditioned caliper. There's only so much of a fight that you can put up against a world that is determined to make everything around us completely disposable.
Well you hit the nail on the head there. I went back into the garage yesterday and gave it another good go. After 1/2 an hour of trying everything I could, I went onto the computer and ordered two new front calipers. I hate giving in on things like this, but there is obliviously a special tool needed to get these seals on and to stay on. I went for new, as I'm keeping the car into the long term, and they are not that expensive.