Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I may have broken all the rules and hear ruled head

Views : 952

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2018, 12:37   #1
Swedefarm

Default I may have broken all the rules and hear ruled head

Good morning all,

Not posted in some time, hope your all doing well..

So I may have done something totally brave (Debatable) or totally stupid.

So a Volvo V70 D5(185) SE Sport, came up for sale, it has a spec sheet the size of a ship.

Here are the specs from the ad:

Very high specification & extremely clean inside & out. Very well maintained. Change of personal circumstances forces sale.
Service history. Recent oil & all filters change.
12 Months MOT
Keyless Entry & Keyless Go
New Bridgestone front tyres
New Brembo brake pads front & rear
Accident free bodywork in excellent condition
Front and Rear parking sensors with Reversing Camera and distance meter Leather seats Electric & Memory (driver side) Heated & Cooled!
Sat Nav
Dynaudio Sound System (Amazing quality) with AUX input - 13 speaker system
On-board Telephone system with handset in central armrest
Active Bending Xenon Headlights with upgraded LED sidelights
Blind Spot Warning Information System (BLIS)
Collision Warning System
Active Radar Cruise Control with distance adjustment and brake function
Four-C Active Suspension System (comfort/sport/dynamic modes)
Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers
Motorised Tailgate
Electric operating and Folding Mirrors
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Electric windows all round
Built in metal folding dog guard
Built in child booster seats in the rear seats
Rear audio entertainment system
Adjustable Power Steering force
Electric parking brake
Tow bar with electrical contacts Car is in use so the mileage will go up slightly. Full service history, Blue, 4 owners.

I show post a link to the ad further down.

So I went to grab a coffee, came back refreshed eBay and voila this stunner came up for just £1450, there was a moment of thought "OMG NO WAY REALLY!!!",

Without delay I called the chap, He called back 20 minutes later. A very nice gentleman and why wouldn't he be, he is selling his car right. Without going into to much detail he explained that he can no longer use the car based on medical grounds and he has had the car for some time, as much as he loves it the car has now become surplus to requirements.

He has seen how much the cars are selling for on the forecourts and he knows that he would get a reasonable amount however to have the car sat there for a while offers to much temptation to use, which I could understand his stance.

So I asked the questions, when was the belt done etc..... It has full volvo main dealer history, the timing belt was replaced at 90K and 12 months MOT.

So I asked if it was possible the place a deposit as opportunities like this do not come up often if at all.... He said yes certainly, he did not suggest an amount I simply offered it on my part, the sum of £500. Which id talk to my partner about first.

I suggested a viewing Sunday which he seemed happy with and further explained he would struggle with Saturday.

Once my partner came home we had a chat, I did some digging prior, his eBay account had only been live for a few days with 3 purchases made, ALARM BELL ONE..... Should have stopped in hindsight right???

Me and Laura agreed that the £500 was going to be to much, so we agreed £250...... I then noticed his address was listed in BATH, but the road names on the sat nav where a location in SURBITON, ALARM BELL TWO...

I called the seller and queried this detail, his response "Ahh yes sorry, ok I live in Bath as you know, however when I am being cared for I stay with my son in law, whilst he had the car it was cleaned and he took the images" which still raised an eye brow (At this point the sheer temptation of the car and loosing out was too much).

After clearing the address situation up, I said to the chap that we would only be willing to send over £250 instead of the £500, I explained why, trust etc etc... He understood.

At this point he advised that he was away from any form of checking the amount would have landed in his account (assuming his computer was home as he was with his son in law), and as above he will return Saturday Evening. He asked if it was ok that I send the funds to his account..... ALARM ALARM DING DING DING NUMBER THREE!!!!!!!.... Should have thrown in the towel here.

Idiot by here said YES, he text the details.... I then prompted if the son in law had Paypal so I can send the funds quicker, his response...... take a guess??

His response was NOPE.... (MONGO MOMENT INCOMING DING DING DING)

I send the £250 to his son in law to a different account...

As part of the agreement once he received the funds the ad would be removed, true to his word he has.... He confirmed receipt of the funds.

I text him back near enough straight away asking if the possibility of going to BATH sooner was a possibility, NO REPLY...... Left it till the morning and still nothing...... I am now thinking I have been done good and proper........ I call him at about 11:00 AM yesterday and nothing, so I left a voicemail, 10 minutes later he calls back, I confirm that he has had the funds and an answer to the text, he explains as above that he is away... Fair enough, he asked if I had any more questions and are both happy with Sunday.. That was that...

Last night I had a spare 30 minutes, I log onto Autotrader.... I find this AD:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1

ITS THE SAME DAMN CAR PRICED AT NEARLY £6K.

My thinking, has it been on autotrader a while and eBay has been used to just get rid??

I do not know....

Opinions please......
Swedefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 15:06   #2
skippyfox
VOC Member

I think you've been had
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 15:40   #3
reggit
Premier Member

I'd say you've fallen for a common scam on ebay.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 18:54   #4
johnkarl

I feel for you mate, i really do, i hope everything turns out fine and will keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck
johnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 19:09   #5
4x4
I roll

Email the vendor on Autotrader and ask about the car
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 19:42   #6
davebb
Premier Member

Why don't you contact PayPal,
And tell them ,and get the cash back,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 19:47   #7
kenny
Master Member

Sorry but I do think you have been had hook line and sinker. I do hope not but if you have don’t beat yourself up to much. Every one of us has made a daft decission that has cost us at one time or taken a wrong deal and kicked ourself.
Last year I drove from Edinburgh to Liverpool to buy a new kayak for £800. I got home after a 9 hour round trip and found an advert for the same kayak two weeks old for £400 a 20 minute drive away. How pi55ed off was I? Probably as pi55ed as you feel now but it could have been £500 you sent. think of it as you’ve saved £250 and move on.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 19:48   #8
Lexington013

£1450 is way too low, I think you have been scammed.......
This is a £4000+ car all day long......
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 19:52   #9
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Why don't you contact PayPal,
And tell them ,and get the cash back,
Dave
Because he did a bank transfer. Also PayPal only give cover if you pay the full price through them they will not cover if you only pay a deposit. Happy to be corrected if this has changed but this was their policy.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 20:01   #10
davebb
Premier Member

But if it is a scam?
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote