Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Top Engine Mount Replacement

Views : 23962

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2010, 16:57   #1
dd1898

Default XC90 Top Engine Mount Replacement

First thread on here so please go easy.
I replaced the top engine mount on my XC90 today and thought I would post the procedure.

Remove the engine cover.
Remove the through bolt on the mount (15mm socket for bolt head and 18mm socket for nut).
Picture 1.jpg

Remove the right hand side restraint as it makes it easier to remove the mount (17mm socket for the bolt head and 18mm socket for the nut) and swing it towards the front of the engine compartment (not too much as it is still restrained on the left hand side).
Picture 2.jpg

Remove 3 off studs (14mm socket) and 2 off studs (10mm socket) from the mount and lift the aluminium block out.
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 4.jpg

Here are the two mounts side by side. Hopefully the new one is a little bit sturdier.
Picture 5.jpg

Reverse the procedure when fitting the new block, the Volvo mechanic said that the studs holding the block down should be set to 50 Nm (36.8 ft/lbs).

Here is the new block in position.
Picture 6.jpg

Took no more than 30 mins to do.
The new mount cost £55 and the part number for mine is 30776354 (Engine Anchorage).

Hope this helps some of you who are unsure about tackling the basic jobs on your car.
dd1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dd1898 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 23:59   #2
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

How old is that engine mount? I thought they'd all have been replaced by now. Thanks for the photos.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 19:19   #3
dd1898

Sorry for the late reply, I went on holiday the next day.
The mount is the original one (2004), the rest appear ok so have left them.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 20:28   #4
BestGear
Master Member

Can I ask what the simptoms of a failed top mount are?

Vibration... cracking exhaust due to movement?

Thanks

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 23:43   #5
dd1898

To be honest I did not notice any symptoms prior to changing and have not felt any difference after it was just that I noticed that the rubber was split nearly all the way through and knew that it should not be that way. Having looked on other posts people were talking about steering wheel vibrations or uneven engine movement, I for one could not afford that problem so a new mount was the easy fix.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:26   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

As a new owner, I must say that I was surprised to feel vibes from the steering wheel on mine at idle... and did wonder if something was up.... could this be it!?!?!
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 10:56   #7
NCS XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
As a new owner, I must say that I was surprised to feel vibes from the steering wheel on mine at idle... and did wonder if something was up.... could this be it!?!?!
Hi,
No the vibration is still present with a new top mount. I changed mine for the same reason. Could see it was split and there was a vibration through the steering wheel. Just the same after the change. The engine mount was changed in design a few years ago to an up rated part. You can see the old and the new design in the pictures. I believe the old one was a known weak spot and I think that’s why RoyMacDonald thought all the old ones would have all been changed by now.

Nice procedure.

Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 13:01   #8
GJB
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS XC90 View Post
Hi,
No the vibration is still present with a new top mount. I changed mine for the same reason. Could see it was split and there was a vibration through the steering wheel. Just the same after the change. The engine mount was changed in design a few years ago to an up rated part. You can see the old and the new design in the pictures. I believe the old one was a known weak spot and I think that’s why RoyMacDonald thought all the old ones would have all been changed by now.

Nice procedure.

Neil
If you have a vacuum leak on mounts that can cause slight vibration,had it on mine all mounts replaced under warranty 4 years ago no further problems
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 18:12   #9
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Most of the mounts were replaced under warranty as it was discovered to be a weak point before the XC90 had been on the market for 3 years. Hence my suprise to see such an ancient one still in use. Guess the dealer must have missed that one.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 21:42   #10
NCS XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Most of the mounts were replaced under warranty as it was discovered to be a weak point before the XC90 had been on the market for 3 years. Hence my suprise to see such an ancient one still in use. Guess the dealer must have missed that one.
They missed mine as well Roy, it's a 53 plate and had a full Volvo service history. I guess they just changed them if they need to. Mine was just cracked (the rubber that is) but made no real difference when I changed it, although don't get me wrong it was cracked and needed changing. I never mind paying for things and changing them if you know they need it and this was "clear cut". Does everyone get a little vibration through the steering wheel on tick over.
I have it as one of those little things associated with the XC90, like the steering wheel not returning to center from full lock, but does from all other positions. Great car overall.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCS XC90 For This Useful Post: