Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uneasy at these events.

Views : 3349

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2018, 18:18   #11
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Not uneasy at all, it's about time and might serve to make idiots think twice in future.

Plenty of people have already been prosocuted for varing offences captured on dashcam so it isn't anything new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
No unease from me. I assume that most of my driving is caught on overhead cameras etc so a dash cam or a police / council camera, it makes no difference to me. Don't do anything stupid is the answer.
Thought some may feel this way - that's good - its a free country etc, we don't all think the same about things - just look at Brexit LOL..but due to what I perceive as an increased level of minding your neighbours business, rather than one's own, we as a society could be said to be moving towards what I read about the old East German life style where the police,the secret service and your neighbours all spied on you, but how it all started out as all men were equal ( but was corrupted, as in Animal Farm to all men are equal but some men are more equal than others)
As history and Tony point out, once a society goes down that road its almost impossible to turn the clock back.

Do we learn lessons from history??

Cheers
Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 18:36   #12
Ukwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Thought some may feel this way - that's good - its a free country etc, we don't all think the same about things - just look at Brexit LOL..but due to what I perceive as an increased level of minding your neighbours business, rather than one's own, we as a society could be said to be moving towards what I read about the old East German life style where the police,the secret service and your neighbours all spied on you, but how it all started out as all men were equal ( but was corrupted, as in Animal Farm to all men are equal but some men are more equal than others)
As history and Tony point out, once a society goes down that road its almost impossible to turn the clock back.

Cheers
Bob.
And what happens to the pillock who takes their dash cam to the local constabulary and says, look this idiot was speeding doing 50 mph in a 30 mph zone, I followed him/her for ..... miles it’s all on my dash cam, the old bill will love that, two for the price of one.

In Wiltshire, they won’t even accept City Centre camera footage as evidence, so lord knows what they’ll do with a dash cam footage. Oh and I do know of one pillock who videoed a car driving erratically on his phone camera and took it to his local plod, only to be asked and did you take this whilst driving sir? Apparently the silence was deafening as the realisation sunk in, using a phone whilst driving......
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 18:40   #13
Whippy
Premier Member

With smart motorways announcing 'always on' speed cameras to catch people driving anything over 70 we're already living in a dystopian nightmare.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 18:41   #14
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
And what happens to the pillock who takes their dash cam to the local constabulary and says, look this idiot was speeding doing 50 mph in a 30 mph zone, I followed him/her for ..... miles it’s all on my dash cam, the old bill will love that, two for the price of one.

In Wiltshire, they won’t even accept City Centre camera footage as evidence, so lord knows what they’ll do with a dash cam footage. Oh and I do know of one pillock who videoed a car driving erratically on his phone camera and took it to his local plod, only to be asked and did you take this whilst driving sir? Apparently the silence was deafening as the realisation sunk in, using a phone whilst driving......
No officer, my passenger shot the footage for me.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 18:50   #15
Ukwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
No officer, my passenger shot the footage for me.
If they did or they didn’t, you can tell from the angle of the footage, plods on to that one.....lol
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 20:54   #16
Selby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
With smart motorways announcing 'always on' speed cameras to catch people driving anything over 70 we're already living in a dystopian nightmare.
What’s the point in having a speed limit if we’re not going to enforce it? It’s ok to get stopped by a copper with a gun but not a camera?

I don’t like those cameras as they stop me doing 85mph and make me do the speed limit - kind of what they were designed for.
Selby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 21:30   #17
Spike56
Master Member

Playing Devil's advocate here.

Everyone with a recorder, whether dash cam, mobile 'phone or whatever, records their own journey, either for themselves (a bit sad, but entirely up to them!) or for that one time, just in case, WTF moment that may never even happen. House cctv is exactly the same.

This is not to spy on others, to snoop or whatever. It is to protect property, family etc.

The police will canvas an area for footage of an event so that they may put together a timeline of events. It is entirely up to the operator to submit or not any evidence.

With regards to dash cam footage..... Most cameras only recycle data for a couple of hours, then it's gone. The operators only capture what goes on around them, they are fixed, immobile only the events change.

The footage on youtube that we watch is an amalgam of hours of recordings. The operators themselves are frequently driving fast, rarely slow down and like to honk long and loudly rather than back off! They are often also very bad tempered!

Finally you are also way too late to the party.
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/natio...safety-portal/

If they can't patrol the streets then they have to rely on us. Just like the old days!!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 21:36   #18
Spike56
Master Member

Oh and as a declaration of clarity. If anyone EVER sees my car being vandalised, bumped or stolen, my house being burgled or any of my family being attacked, and they have footage and don't come forward, I will personally hunt them down!

If I see your car, house or family being harmed in any way I WILL post the footage to the authorities.

Use it for good. Not to critique or laugh and sneer!

I'm done! Sorry!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 21:44   #19
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post

Cheers
Bob.
in general bob, no they cant (or wont) learn from history until there is a nanny state law forcing them to,,, or Anti-social media hypes it as the next trend,,,

as for the people sending dash cam footage in
When you dont drive with your phone in your hand texting or whatever it is
When you obey the highway code properly,,
Learn some manners and treat people decently
and are not suffering from "ahbutiknowbest" or "HUA syndrome"*
until such time all the sanctimonious clowns can GTF with that
same as there shoving Their morals and ideas down the throats of anyone who isnt a sheeple like them ...

*HUA syndrome head up A##
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 21:57   #20
Whyman
Premier Member

Orwell was right just got the year wrong!