Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am I about to F**K up?

Views : 1078

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2018, 22:51   #1
Magyver

Default Am I about to F**K up?

I have an option on a 2002 V70 2.5t with less than 70K on the clock.
Is this going to be the worst mistake of my life or the deal of the decade?
I suspect the Timing Belt hasn't been done obviously so will have to change it but other than that "what could possibly go wrong?"
:-D
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 23:29   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

1) The infamous "Stop Neutral" feature MAY have been left installed such that it caused damage to the trannie's inwards. It appears that the feature was such a boner (as in bone headed) it was removed summarily around the world.

2) The previous owner obeyed the STUPID notice that the transmission fluid was "lifelong". Completely impossible. Red and clear fluid is OK. Search "correct fluid"..HINT: It ain't rocket science nor as dire end-of-the-world scenario as many say.

3) The several soldered joints in the DIM might need addressing at some point.
The production flaw here is of reformulated solder or cold joints opening -usually when the car gets warm. Removal of the DIM is easy and there are people who fix 'em affordably. You can actually live with a bad DIM if you can fathom basic fuel mileage math.

4) The old design ETM may require rebuilding when the mylar positioning strip wears. Again, removal is dead easy and companies rebuild ETMs affordably.

Beware of the "rebuild them yourself" kits said to be offered on the internet. Each time I went to look at them the sites were suspiciously shoddy looking. Still, people here have posted success with them. Do what you like.

NOTE: My 2002's ETM was trouble free through 198,600 miles when I sold the car. I am a steady driver who makes frequent long trips. I suppose goosing around town 100% of the time wears 'em faster.....probably not worth thinking about.

5) ABSOLUTELY inspect the rear hand brake hardware. This requires removal of the rear rotors. Pay for it to be done before purchase and use shabby hardware to lower the price. It isn't dear to maintain but if the brake shoe lining delaminates at speed a bunch of damage can result.

6) If the previous owner failed to change the oil or used inadequate oil there may be chunks of sludge in the engine. At 16 years of age the PCV hardware will need replacing anyway so the cost of that collection of replacement parts (hoses, catch box and clamps) and installation is coming your way. No biggie really.

Use only 0W-30 or 0W-40 oils which are turbo heat capable. Someone here will be along to give you a brand name available over there.

Bargain oils are the mark of the "dippy-doo". Don't be a dippy-doo.

7) The low mileage may not help you with the exhaust system. Frequent short trips will deposit moisture in the system so it may rot from within....again, over 16 years.

8) Pay to have the car hooked up to a VIDA at a dealership because I just had the idea that some dishonest person may have installed the DIM from a low mileage wreck into this car. They say CANBUS communications won't establish in a car so tampered with.

Cheers, G&K

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Nov 14th, 2018 at 23:33. Reason: spelling corrections
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 08:35   #3
VroomVroomClonk

The 2.5 appears to be a weaker engine than the 2.3 or 2.4 versions, and can have problems with the cylinder liners due to its extra capacity.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 09:26   #4
BarryCambs

I'd want to know why it has that low milage. If it's been used on short runs with lots of city driving, it's not necessarily a good thing.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCambs For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:03   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomClonk View Post
The 2.5 appears to be a weaker engine than the 2.3 or 2.4 versions, and can have problems with the cylinder liners due to its extra capacity.
Its fine , only with over 300 bhp around a race track it may happen , I have not come across any road cars with this problem in 15 years ..
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 11:30   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomClonk View Post
Its fine , only with over 300 bhp around a race track it may happen , I have not come across any road cars with this problem in 15 years ..
Haha, is that old myth still doing the rounds? I rememebr people used to say that about the good old pinto engine: "The 2000cc engine is a bigger bored version of the 1600, so the 1600 is stronger because it's got more metal, init".
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 11:44   #7
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post

8) Pay to have the car hooked up to a VIDA at a dealership because I just had the idea that some dishonest person may have installed the DIM from a low mileage wreck into this car. They say CANBUS communications won't establish in a car so tampered with.

Cheers, G&K

You can check the MOT history via the DVLA and that will give you the mileage that was on the clock at every MOT for the last 10 years.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 12:38   #8
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

canis said: "Haha, is that old myth still doing the rounds? I remember people used to say that about the good old pinto engine: "The 2000cc engine is a bigger bored version of the 1600, so the 1600 is stronger because it's got more metal, init".

There might be something to that. My 2.2l Subaru engine was the big step up from the 1.7l Fuji had made for years. When the insatiable beast was again fed an increase to 2.5l was born....a leaky, rattly version of the purrrfect engine in my car.

Hopefully Volvo sized their liners right out of the box. Also, stroke can be changed to increase displacement. Anyone know?

Has Volvo developed any hypereutectic (linerless, silicon saturated aluminum) engines?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 21:13   #9
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
1) The infamous "Stop Neutral" feature MAY have been left installed such that it caused damage to the trannie's inwards. It appears that the feature was such a boner (as in bone headed) it was removed summarily around the world.

2) The previous owner obeyed the STUPID notice that the transmission fluid was "lifelong". Completely impossible. Red and clear fluid is OK. Search "correct fluid"..HINT: It ain't rocket science nor as dire end-of-the-world scenario as many say.

3) The several soldered joints in the DIM might need addressing at some point.
The production flaw here is of reformulated solder or cold joints opening -usually when the car gets warm. Removal of the DIM is easy and there are people who fix 'em affordably. You can actually live with a bad DIM if you can fathom basic fuel mileage math.

4) The old design ETM may require rebuilding when the mylar positioning strip wears. Again, removal is dead easy and companies rebuild ETMs affordably.

Beware of the "rebuild them yourself" kits said to be offered on the internet. Each time I went to look at them the sites were suspiciously shoddy looking. Still, people here have posted success with them. Do what you like.

NOTE: My 2002's ETM was trouble free through 198,600 miles when I sold the car. I am a steady driver who makes frequent long trips. I suppose goosing around town 100% of the time wears 'em faster.....probably not worth thinking about.

5) ABSOLUTELY inspect the rear hand brake hardware. This requires removal of the rear rotors. Pay for it to be done before purchase and use shabby hardware to lower the price. It isn't dear to maintain but if the brake shoe lining delaminates at speed a bunch of damage can result.

6) If the previous owner failed to change the oil or used inadequate oil there may be chunks of sludge in the engine. At 16 years of age the PCV hardware will need replacing anyway so the cost of that collection of replacement parts (hoses, catch box and clamps) and installation is coming your way. No biggie really.

Use only 0W-30 or 0W-40 oils which are turbo heat capable. Someone here will be along to give you a brand name available over there.

Bargain oils are the mark of the "dippy-doo". Don't be a dippy-doo.

7) The low mileage may not help you with the exhaust system. Frequent short trips will deposit moisture in the system so it may rot from within....again, over 16 years.

Cheers, G&K
Hi what is this Number 1, "Stop Neutral" feature
and Number 2, why should the gear oil be Red,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 21:20   #10
xco
Premier Member

I would check air bags integrity as well .....I think they have to be checked or replaced at 15 years old ....something like that.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote