Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 V40 Headlight wipers faulty

Views : 857

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 17:10   #1
Dirty Diesel

Question 2004 V40 Headlight wipers faulty

Hey everyone!

I'm here again, with another query about my V40. This time, it's about the headlight wipers. I was getting some photos on an oil leak on the same car, when i noticed that behind the front cross member, the wiper plugs were dangling, not plugged in. It explained why they didn't work haha.

Images listed below, sorry about the imgur link. As I'm new to this forum, I don't quite know how the image uploading system works on this forum.

After plugging them in and testing them, the nearside wiper works fine, granted has a very loud motor. The offside however, worked for a split second, moving the wiper half way up the headlight lense, then stopping. Cannot get it to work since.

I have tried both power connectors on both wiper plugs, and nothings changed. Seems like both connectors coming from the loom have power, but that either the offside motor is dead/has shorted, or that the connector for said motor has a broken wire or snapped contacts inside the connector etc.

Since trying the wipers, i have driven the car around and about for a couple of hours, without using the wipers. When i came home and checked the faulty wiper, it had moved further over the lense, almost onto the indicator. Seems like it's travelled too far if you ask me.

http://imgur.com/a/gSHRxKz

So what could it be? Something as simple as the motor? If so, how would i change the motor? Just like a regular wiper motor, but remove the headlight cluster first?

And yes, i do need a new headlight wiper itself, the rubber has completely gone. Funnily enough it is on the broken side haha.

Anyway, thanks to you all for reading! Hope i can get this sorted; don't fancy driving a nice V40 with derpy wipers.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 10:14   #2
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

With respect, please do a search first. There are loads of threads on this already.

It is *possible* to refurbish the motors but by all accounts it's a pain. I recall it might be essentially the same process as the 850 motors and someone did a guide.

I've got a spare set of motors and might try it some day but I'm content with them just sat there looking pretty and I'm glad they are horizontal. I've no idea if the water feed works, and without that they are only any use in snow anyway.

I managed to buy some blades for about £3 recently so at least they do look good.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 12:17   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Have a look here:https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51146

They are for the 850, but the motor is pretty much identical. Anyway, best way to sort out these wipers, is to just rip them out and never have to worry about them again. They are too troublesome and unreliable

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 13:26   #4
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Have a look here:https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51146

They are for the 850, but the motor is pretty much identical. Anyway, best way to sort out these wipers, is to just rip them out and never have to worry about them again. They are too troublesome and unreliable
I have debated doing this before. But then I'd have the wiper linkage sticking out of the bumper. Don't know if there's any solid covers for where they usually protrude from the bumper of not. Is there such a thing? I don't really want to have the linkage stuck out, but then if i take em off I'll just have the black plastic cover with the hole in it sat there on the bumper. Rather just buy some covers to fill it rather than have holes in the bumper, or get it professionally filled and painted over.

Do you know of any way to block off the washer fluid pipe? Cos if i just bung the pipes with something they'll bulg every time i use the washers.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 14:25   #5
gatos
Premier Member

You could unplug the washer hose on the t piece and block it with something. Or get another one way valve connector, without the second exit towards the headlight washers

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 20:06   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Mine have never worked, weirdly their parked position is underneath the little stop, if I try and lift them up to sit on top of it it feels like I'm going to bust something. The hoses are poking through the bumper but not connected to anything so I'm guessing the whole lots been disabled, although in the interests of legality I suppose I'd better try and fix them, as due to having xenon's they are supposed to work.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 10:07   #7
morrismen

Not sure if it may help, but when this happened to one of my headlamp wipers sticking in one place, a dealer showed me a trick where he heated up the spindle with a hairdryer and then the blade moved back into position where it was supposed to be located. The reason he said was because there is wax around the motor's spindle and it tends to dry out. Once its heated up and the spindle freed, then the wiper arm can be moved easily again.

Tags
headlight wipers, s40 '00, v40 1.9td, wipers headlight, wipers not working