Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to replace the speakers in a 440

Views : 3278

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 15:23   #1
Welshboyglos
id was joe440andrew460

Exclamation How to replace the speakers in a 440

OK, after spending pots of money on the exterior Myrtle is having the sound system tinkered with again. The original Volvo stereo is long gone having been replaced by an Alpine headunit with 6 disc changer in the boot. But the speakers are original and sound rather poor by comparison.

So one happy purchase from Ebay later I now own some shiny new Alpine SPE1302 speakers, nothing fancy but hopefully enough to make the good times roll!

One problem.

Anyone know how to dismantle everything to fit the new ones? Which nuts, screws or bolts need removing?

I could really do with help from those who have been here before me as I don't want to go breaking the interior trim (as I undoubtedly will otherwise) trying to get rid of the old ones!

Thanks, in advance

Andrew

'01 V70 T5 SE "Ollie aka The Boat" (MW51DGE)
'95 440 1.8Si "Myrtle" (N241NTG)

Welshboyglos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 16:14   #2
Denny James

You can remove the front speaker grills by carefully prising them out to reveal the screws that hold the speakers in. You do not have to remove door trim. I have never done the front tweeters in the windscreen pillers so can't help you there. The rear speakers can be removed once the plastic trim which the parcel shelf connects to and sits on is removed. The lug that the shelf clips onto on both sides has a screw through it, remove that, fold down rear seats and find other screws to remove the whole plastic trim. The speaker screws will be seen after the trim is removed. You need a very stubby phillips screwdriver for the screws as access to them is very limited as you will find out!
Hope this is of some help to you.

Last edited by Denny James; Feb 28th, 2006 at 16:18.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 16:50   #3
Welshboyglos
id was joe440andrew460

Thank you Denny James

I have just spent the last 25 minutes whipping out panels and replacing the speakers - i had no intention of changing the tweaters as I guess that's a job to do when having a windscreen replaced(?) Otherwise it was quite a straightforward job.

Hope this helps someone else out as well

As for the sound, well it's not boom boom bang bang cos that's not what I wanted but those Alpine's fit perfectly and are definately better than the Volvo card speakers - I think that an old baked bean tin and some string would have produced a better sound than those old things ever could!!

Thanks again

'01 V70 T5 SE "Ollie aka The Boat" (MW51DGE)
'95 440 1.8Si "Myrtle" (N241NTG)

Welshboyglos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 23:38   #4
Denny James

Pleased to hear you got it done without breaking anything!! Enjoy your music.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:28   #5
gizz'y

I did exactly the same with my 760 turbo saloon, although I wasn't happy with the bass response so I added a 350watt subwoofer in the boot sounds absolutley awesome.

Gizz'y
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 14:43   #6
Weeksy

Gotta love the internet, just want to add some basic new speakers (not fussy, just sufficient!) on my 440, no idea how... and now I do.

I'm not at all sure though when it comes to amps etc? Do I need a new amp/cassette player, or can i just plug the new speakers into the existing system?

Appreciate some advice
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 22:47   #7
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Glad you found it easy Andrew.

With regards to the tweeters, they are a funny rectangular shape, so i would be very very surprised if you could find anything to repace them. Plus i had mine wired up to my old system and they lasted about a week before they popped anyway.

I did put some Sony tweeters in, and my goodness did they make a difference. You can see them mounted just to the right of the steering wheel-one each side obviously. Tweeters. I'd def recomend them if anybody's considering it.

@Weeksy. Depends. If you just want to upgrade the speakers in the doors, then just replacing them is fine. I'd advise using the speaker wire that comes with the speakers as the Volvo wires will be rated to work with their speakers. Basically, if the signal going through the standard wires is too great, then it will filter out the frequencies it thinks the speakers can't handle....and as the car isn't alive, it will still think the originals are in so the sound quality won't be as good.

If you want amps etc, thats a whole new ball game. You'll need a new CD player for a start, then it's just £££. But if you love your tunes, you won't regret it. I didn't!
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 15:47   #8
Weeksy

Hi Guys,

Just about to pop off and get some new speakers, thinking of replacing headunit with a basic JVC cd player (slot loading)... but I can't get the old headunit out!

On the standard 440 series cassette player, how do I remove it?

Advice please! Ta
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 20:39   #9
dralphs

hi. you need a pair of din radio removal pins or something similar, see

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...?partno=DINKEY

At each end of the radio are two small holes (possibly behind a plastic clip on cover depending on model). Insert the pins which depresses the latches, the radio can now be pulled out, but every one i've done has been quite tight.

Dave
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 00:51   #10
Weeksy

Thanks for that mate

Fortunately a genius mate pointed me in the direction of those tongs, so I've had the last week with a nice new Kenwood slot loading CD player, and managed to replace the ariel!

Replaced the speakers with some £25 Pioneers in the front, and hopefully some larger and better in the back once I get some cash together.

I should point out the reason I have had to do this is that my cigarette lighter socket in the car has died (plugging anything in causes the "door open" lamp to light on the dash and no power to the thing plugged in....). My old MP3 player > tape deck would not work without this power (dodgy battery), so it was either replace my car mp3 player with a new one (ipod or whatever £200+), or new head unit and speakers for £150 ish.... no competition!