Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 1.8 Si mods?

Views : 2814

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:57   #1
PPI Mark

Hi all,

It took me a while to find a forum for the Volvo's, nice to see there is some other sensible people in this world not driving fords ;)

This is my second 440, I’ve installed a corker sound system, but now i think its time to start doing something to the suspension & engine.

Any ideas where to start - is the suspension the same as any other cars - Reno's?

I'm pretty mechanically minded so i can do a few things, and i have access to a salvage & scrap yard for bits, and i'm working on a pretty tight budget.

Any helps much appreciated and feel free to pick my brains about sound systems :)

-Mark

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:18   #2
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: 440 1.8 Si mods?

Hi Mark...
A fellow 440 modifier! The sneak pic of your install looks nice. What sort of gear are you running? I`ve got a bootful too, and yes, Volvos are more sensible than Fords! So many people are beginning to realise quality when they see it! Right. I`ve found www.needforspeed.co.uk to be very helpful. They are based in Scotland, but providing the part you are after is on the shelf, it will be there the next day. It has a car specific section-after you select olvo, it will bring up model`s, select 440, and it brings up a list of all 440 parts available, including alloys. www.eurocarparts.com is another-although not really for modifying. If you hunt about the list on there you will find some odd`s and sod`s. Thats about it really. Oh, and for custom exhausts, www.powerflow.uk.com This is the main site and you should be able to find your nearest fitter-they make custom exhausts for anything-i`ve had two now, and reccomend them highly.

I`ve had my 440 lowered 40mm on Avo Springs, but am still running standard shocks. I reccomend saving a bit more for the shocks as she is stilla little spongey. I think Munroe do some Gas Adjustable shocks at a reasonable price, but i had no-luck finding them. The Bilstein Street Kit i think its called (On the need for speed site) comprises of 4xuprated shocks and 4x40mm lowering springs for just over £200. A friend of mine is running these on his 440 and say`s it handles brilliantly. With regards to engine mod`s, im not too sure. I`ve not done anything to mine-but i`m thinking of an Air Filter-i know K+N do one, and Pipercross also, but not sure if anyone else does one. Also, as far as im aware, there is no induction kit available, and i don`t think you can get chips for the 440`s anymore either! I do know of a 440 which has had a complete engine rebuild with a Garret T25 Turbo and Nissan 330ZX air filter, but that set him back quite a bit-not something you could do on a budget!

Thats about it i think. Thats all i`ve used to do my 440. Hope it`s been a little help!

Let us know how you get on.
Dan
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:21   #3
PPI Mark

Hi

Well my stereo, I jhave a Pioneer DEX P99 HU running to a PPI PC4800 Amp, then DLS Ulimate reference 5" components mounted into 3/4" MDF in my door (helps a lot for big power)and a DLS MW12 sub in a 7th order bandpass box (custom designed and made)

I think i might have to get the Bilstein Suspension kit, if i can get it from discount autoparts i can get 10% off for trade so lets hope they do them ;) But i understand the Street line kit is OEM spec shocks and uprated springs, but i'm sure there cool being Bilstein.

Heres a couple of pics of my boot and doors:-

Http://www.odinshipping.co.uk/Boot2.JPG

Http://www.odinshipping.co.uk/Door.JPG

If you want any more pics, i have loadz just send me a e-mail and i'll reply with then

I've found a 106 Rallye K&N 57i cone fits nicely on to the 1.8 si, sounds well too

What about brakes? i had Mintex off a crashed turbo on my last 440 (phase 1) and it stopped really well, i'm thinking of swapping to these again soon.

-Mark
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 15:54   #4
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: 440 1.8 Si mods?

Hi Mark...
Brakes might be good-if you have some already then swap them. I don`t know what the 1.8 models have, but my 2.0 has discs all round, so mine stops well anyway-i have no probs, but if i had uprated discs then i`d put them on.
I`m currently running front and rear Pioneer Accelerate 13cm 150w Replacement speakers with integrated tweeters, 2xJBL GTO 4000 600w amps and 2x200w RMS Rockford Fosgate 12" subs in sealed DIY boxes.
I`ve attached a pic of my install too.:)
Have you done anything else to the car, bodywise etc?

Dan
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 20:09   #5
1995Volvo460

Evening,

How long have you to spent buying/building your installs? They both look great.

I have just started on mine and currently have a Sony MP3 CD H/U, Infinity 2-ways in front and rear (5 1/4" and 6 1/2") powered by a phoenix gold QX300.4 amp and a kenwood sub powered by a PG QX180.2. I also have siting at home 2 sets of PG components ready to replace the 2-way. What do you think? (No pics yet as it is a mass of wires as i have only just wired it in and not bothered creating an 'install' yet)

Also shall i use the spare 2-ways in the boot as part of an install when i can afford another amp to power them?

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 22:26   #6
EmpzB

I Agree they both look sweet as! I see your car has come on a bit Dan since the pics you sent me a while ago, nice rear clusters too!

Im saving for my install atm, got £150 Woo! lol, well by the time im 17 i should have enough! (hopefully for a good install).

Good luck with the other mods you have planned, l8rz all
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:02   #7
Mav_UK

I would suggest putting vented discs on the fornt if possible. I had a '96 440 1.8 with discs all round, but slowing down from 180kmph downhill killed them by the time I reached 90kmph.....

Stu
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:47   #8
PPI Mark

Nice boot Daniel !! looks well tidy.

As for brakes mine does have discs all round yeah, I priced them up yesterday cos mine are almost dead, £50 for Mintex discs and pads it has to be worth the cash. and about £100 for a Feredo Stopping kit with slotted and drilled discs

It took me a weekend to do the install but I had done a 440 b4 so it was quicker the second time

EmpzB - I tried to send you a email but it bounced back, its was 1.5 Mb mind you, can hotmail take that?

There is no way i would put speakers in the boot its a waste of money, sell them on and make a few quid to use for sound deadening!

-Mark
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 15:58   #9
1995Volvo460

When did they start putting discs all round on the 1.8's or did you do a conversion? I have a 1995 460 S 1.8i but it has rear drums.

Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 16:00   #10
1995Volvo460

Does the induction kit fit as standard onto the 1.8 engine or does it need some alterations? I have a '95 460 S 1.8i should it fit on there too?
Thanks