Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D 75kW chiptuning

Views : 905

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 14:06   #1
nandor90

Default V40 1.9D 75kW chiptuning

Hello Everyone!

Im wondering if pros doing Chiptuning for this car, would it harm? Im looking for more HP etc. Found one reasonable for 102hp that gives 130hp how much would it increase fuel consumption, and do i need to upgrade something for this?

Also was wondering if i buy a BOV for this model, would it do any good? Other than the sound?

Kinda bought car for 1000km trips without needing to worry that it wont start, failure etc. So far were looking also for good engine oil, but cant decide which one 10W40 or 5W30 somewhere i also seen 5W40 also reccomandation. I dont have garage but summer is hot like 35-40*C apears and winter sometimes -20-27*C. I dont mind if i need to change oil more offten just dont want to have trouble. Also my collegue said that i should put for cooling radiators winter cooling liqueud cause it doesnt ruin the water pump. Is that correct?
nandor90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 20:07   #2
Scoobymolly

I have a 2002 v40 1.9d 115 bhp that I had remapped to 167bhp.
The torque and power increase is very impressive.I get about 10mpg more economy.
It has been done about 10000 miles now with no issues whatsoever.The vehicle has done 151000 miles.
I use 10w40 Castrol magnatec engine oil,that is what Volvo recommended for it when I was a Tech at the dealer.I change the oil every 6k and always have done.
Scoobymolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 01:21   #3
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

VIDA still recommends 5w30 for the diesel.

After researching, I've been using 5w40 Shell Helix Ultra for a few years.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 01:22   #4
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I bought a tuning box but I've never actually plugged it in.

I probably should, really! It's a quick job!
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 07:56   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Thats the renault dci engine, it wants 5w40 A3/B4 fully synthetic, thats what renault specify for the engine they designed and built 👍 Ive got the same in a scenic, the oil it seemed the most happy on is Shell helix ultra 5w40, which is also inexpensive.
Bov is no use on a diesel, its got a wastegate for excess boost, thats all it needs, they use the wastegate intelligently to vent excess pressure via the sensor, vacuum is constant from a pump on a diesel so a traditional bov doesnt work.
Other thing is, do yoi clean your egr valve and housing? They get very clogged on these and benefit from a good clean every 20-30k to keep the airflow uninhibited.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jul 25th, 2018 at 08:05.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 19:40   #6
nandor90

I have another problem, cant figure out whats going on, but when driving and stepping on gas it slowly regaining power not sure what causing it.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/udbiWCFaMe4[/YOUTUBE]

created video about it. Also i added some oil didnt know how much to add when it shows min. so i added 1liter same what was in(Since than i feel this problem also). Im pretty new to this stuff 1st car...

Some say it timing belt, some say its simering not sure what to belive... I want change filters and oil in agust.

Last edited by nandor90; Jul 25th, 2018 at 19:43.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 20:20   #7
AndyV7o
Premier Member

That sounds like alternator pulley failing. They freewheel like a bicycle, but start to get tight and snatch, tugging at the belt. Mine sounded like that on the scenic when pulley was failng, quickly got much worse to the point where it sounded like someone had dropped a load of bolts in the engine. You can just replace the pulley.
Check SiRobb on youtube, hes done a vid for the pulley V70 D5 but its exactly same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 17:37   #8
nandor90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
That sounds like alternator pulley failing. They freewheel like a bicycle, but start to get tight and snatch, tugging at the belt. Mine sounded like that on the scenic when pulley was failng, quickly got much worse to the point where it sounded like someone had dropped a load of bolts in the engine. You can just replace the pulley.
Check SiRobb on youtube, hes done a vid for the pulley V70 D5 but its exactly same thing.

Does that mean i have to change it+belt also? How long can i drive with this? Is it still charging battery or? I shouldnt listen music... Not using clima so no worries there.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 18:01   #9
AndyV7o
Premier Member

No-one can say how long it will last. (Mine got worse rapidly, but that was just my case)
Alternator is either charging or not, the pulley wont affect this.
You dont have to change the belt, but its daft to put an old belt back on.
Thats if it is the pulley, might not be, but it does sound exactly how mine did during failure. It started off as a light tick-tick-tick noise, was like that for a few ten k miles, once it did get like yours it was downhill fast.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 23:00   #10
Scoobymolly

If the pulley is failing then the alternator belt will shred eventually, and the shredded bits of belt will go into the cam belt and make the cam belt jump or break causing severe engine damage.It would be advisable to change alternator freewheel pulley,tensioner and idler.Check also bottom crankshaft pulley as the rubber bonding also falls apart.
With regards to engine oil Volvo specify 10w40 c3b4 oil.
5w40 is not suitable for Volvo, maybe in Renault,that's why so many turbo's fail on them due to high service intervals and synthetic oil!I've had s40/v40 diesels for 15 yrs and always used 10w40 oil.I was a Volvo master tech.
Scoobymolly is offline   Reply With Quote