Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 850 T5 Owner headgasket failure

Views : 486

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 20:41   #1
njw184

Default New 850 T5 Owner headgasket failure

Hi All,

I recently acquired a 96 850 T5 GLT Auto Estate that has head gasket failure.

When getting the head gasket done are there any other jobs worth doing at the same time whilst the head is off?

This is my list

Head Gasket Set, Timing Belt, Waterpump, aux belt, PCV system, expansion tank, radiator & hoses, heater matrix, Turbo cooolin hoses. Temp sensor.

are there any other O-rings, parts, seals that I may need or should change.
is there a paticular brand of headgasket kit and timing belt kit to go for? I was going to get a gates timeing belt kit wiith a metal impellor waterpump.

What is the best source for these parts, I was looking at PFS parts for volvos online and some of there prices are good but others seem high.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
njw184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 22:25   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Are you sure it's the head gasket that's gone? I ask, because H/G failure on these is very rare, but there are a number of other relatively common faults that can make you think it's gone. What are the symptoms?

Your list seems pretty complete, although if it was me there are a number of things on that list I wouldn't do unless I was sure they needed it, such as heater matrix and water pump.

What I would add to the list would be engine mountings, they get soggy and collapse over time, and this could be the ideal time to change them?
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 23:47   #3
njw184

Hi,

Quite sure, i believe the car had been driven with a stuck closed thermostat and overheated.

Gas bubbling into expansion tank and will overheat at idle with thermostat out, fans are working. Slight steam from exhaust with constant water drips from exhaust. Going to check plugs tomorrow and do compression test and combustion gas test.

I was considering the lower engine mounts, so yep i think i will do them thanks.

Joe
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:05   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Ah, OK, fairy nuff, does sound like a H/G then, doing a compression and combustion gas test is still a good idea though, as you say.

Well worth doing the job though, great cars these and should then go on for ever. PCV is the main job that will be a lot easier with the head off, and again, well worth doing as it's a common issue on these.

Good stuff - let us know how it goes?

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:10   #5
njw184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Ah, OK, fairy nuff, does sound like a H/G then, doing a compression and combustion gas test is still a good idea though, as you say.

Well worth doing the job though, great cars these and should then go on for ever. PCV is the main job that will be a lot easier with the head off, and again, well worth doing as it's a common issue on these.

Good stuff - let us know how it goes?

Cheers
Thanks for your help, I will keep you updated.

Do you get your parts from pfs or a volvo dealer?
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:23   #6
Stu B
Master Member

Best of luck with this, well worth fixing up and yes do the PCV while you’re at it. I’d replace all the vacuum hoses (do a search on here for pipe details and locations) to save revisiting them later, they’re bound to be perished. Will only cost a few quid and rule out future hassle.

I usually get genuine parts from the Volvo dealer where possible (and cost effective) but some other bits via PFS, or Euro Car Parts for basics like brake fluid, oil, filters etc. when they’ve got a good discount offer on.

Post some pics up as you’re on with the job, and ask away with any questions as there is tons of knowledgable folk on here
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 11:49   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above, I do use PFV online for most spares, I've always found them cost effective and efficient, and the quality of parts has been fine so far. Occasionally (e.g. the PCV system) I buy from Volvo, but I go via Simon at FRF Swansea who is very helpful and gives a good discount to forum members (Discount C3). I get consumables and some other bits from local motor factors Andrew Page or Euro Car Parts etc.

Cheers!