Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s60 with gas issues

Views : 1844

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 17:33   #1
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Default s60 with gas issues

Its been cutting out when cold and switching over to gas and is very hard to restart, as if its flooded. I'd suspected the petrol injectors may be leaking, but I removed them today and they where dry. Now since removing them, its running slightly rough on gas, is a bit smokey, more so on gas, not as bad on petrol, and is very slow to return to idle on gas, runs faultless on petrol. I'm thinking maybe the gas regulator is allowing water into the gas system? Doesnt explain the idle issue though? Anyone any thoughts or advice??

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 15:52   #2
Pete_c20

Just a quickie that may help to shed more light on the problem....could you elaborate on 'and is very slow to return to idle on gas'. As that sounds a bit odd.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 16:24   #3
V8 Disco

I have no experance on LPG on Volvos, but I had very odd issues with my V8 Discovery when the gas tempreature sender failed ... odd its worse after the petrol injectors have been removed
V8 Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 18:22   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_c20 View Post
Just a quickie that may help to shed more light on the problem....could you elaborate on 'and is very slow to return to idle on gas'. As that sounds a bit odd.
Not returning to idle, hovers around 2k and slowly drops to idle, up to 10 seconds

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 18:28   #5
Pete_c20

You might have a sticking idle control valve. Easy to check and clean. The valve bypasses a bit of air round the throttle plate on idle. The wider forum has some posts on it on checking and cleaning the valve.
Ages since I messed with mine. A thought - I've seen some users take the idle valve off and put a gasket in that completely covers the internal hole and put the valve back to keep it in place, thus disabling the valve. You could then simulate its operation by putting in a shim on the throttle stop so the throttle plate never quite closes at idle and see if the problem disappears. Just a thought and your setup could be different and I could be talking pants! If you have an ODB2 reader you'll also see a leaking idle valve in raised fuel trims.

Last edited by Pete_c20; Apr 4th, 2014 at 18:34.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete_c20 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 19:37   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Would the idle valve not cause issues regardless of petrol or gas??

Old Apr 4th, 2014, 19:47   #7
Pete_c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Would the idle valve not cause issues regardless of petrol or gas??
I know what you're saying but some faults show more on one system than the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
I'd suspected the petrol injectors may be leaking, but I removed them today and they where dry. Now since removing them, its running slightly rough on gas, is a bit smokey, more so on gas, not as bad on petrol, and is very slow to return to idle on gas, runs faultless on petrol. I'm thinking maybe the gas regulator is allowing water into the gas system? Doesnt explain the idle issue though? Anyone any thoughts or advice??
Now I read your OP again, I feel it might indicate something else. Look at the bit I've highlighted. The petrol injector Orings aren't easy to re-seat sometimes. If the seals on them are slightly misplaced then you may have introduced a slight air leak. You can easily test for this by spraying a bit of carb cleaner around where each injector seats, with the engine idling, a slight change in revs will tell you have a leak at that point. If the seals need a little lube to help them in try some engine oil but nothing that's silicone based.
If it isn't that can you think of anything else you may have changed at the time?

Last edited by Pete_c20; Apr 4th, 2014 at 20:20. Reason: addition of text to clarify
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 09:22   #8
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Yep, tried wd40 round the injectors as I thought no 1 cylinder seal wasn't great, but they all seem ok. Checked numerous times and can find no leaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20131119-00013.jpg (238.6 KB, 11 views)

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 10:44   #9
Lpgc
LPG conversion pro

Would need a bit more info on what LPG system your S60 has fitted, do you know what the system is? Or is this a factory system?

You mentioned water leaking into the gas via a leak in the reducer, possible but very unlikely. If there is such a leak it would be far more likely that gas would leak into the water and presurise the cooling system but you haven't mentioned related issues. Water in the gas wouldn't cause a higher idle, neither would gas in the water, the latter often misinterpreted as a head gasket issue.

A more common type of reducer leak, one which cold potentially cause the kind of symptoms you're seeing, is if the reducer has a leak which allows gas to exit it's vacuum connection - Effectively such a leak would cause the engine to run rich at idle and low loads. When the engine is idling high on gas, does the exhaust smell rich?

It is true that if there is a problem with your ICV (idle control valve) these sorts of problems can occur on one fuel more than the other. Also, depending on what type of gas system is fitted, the TPS (throttle position sensor) could cause the same.

Simon
www.Lpgc.co.uk
Lpgc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lpgc For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 13:40   #10
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpgc View Post
Would need a bit more info on what LPG system your S60 has fitted, do you know what the system is? Or is this a factory system?

You mentioned water leaking into the gas via a leak in the reducer, possible but very unlikely. If there is such a leak it would be far more likely that gas would leak into the water and presurise the cooling system but you haven't mentioned related issues. Water in the gas wouldn't cause a higher idle, neither would gas in the water, the latter often misinterpreted as a head gasket issue.

A more common type of reducer leak, one which cold potentially cause the kind of symptoms you're seeing, is if the reducer has a leak which allows gas to exit it's vacuum connection - Effectively such a leak would cause the engine to run rich at idle and low loads. When the engine is idling high on gas, does the exhaust smell rich?

It is true that if there is a problem with your ICV (idle control valve) these sorts of problems can occur on one fuel more than the other. Also, depending on what type of gas system is fitted, the TPS (throttle position sensor) could cause the same.

Simon
www.Lpgc.co.uk
Its the factory fitted necam system. I'll try the spare regulator / reducer I have and I'll also clean the throttle body and report back.