Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86967

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 11:03   #391
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
...I can't say I'm convinced that this is a long term total solution though.
But do Volvo care about that? 'Sticking plaster' fixes that merely address the fire risk will do for now, before long all the models with compromised reliability caused by soot build-up will be well outside warranty, probably on their second or third owners, no longer getting serviced by Volvo dealerships and being bought for peanuts on the secondhand market. Volvo can soon wash their hands of the sooty VEAs...
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 11:08   #392
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
Aha. Finally got my second recall letter. It is for ref. R29948 and says:-

'Volvo have completed their investigations working with the appropriate authorities and conclude that your Volvo will require a software upgrade to the Engine Control Module.
Please contact our Service Department, the software upgrade will be carried out free of charge.'

I'm hoping they will check out any existing sooting before doing the upgrade.

I can't say I'm convinced that this is a long term total solution though.
They have spent the best part of a year coming up with this i very much doubt the car will catch fire in the future as that was what the recall is all about isn't it . They have the authorities to satisfy ..
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 11:28   #393
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
They have spent the best part of a year coming up with this i very much doubt the car will catch fire in the future as that was what the recall is all about isn't it . They have the authorities to satisfy ..
It'd be nice if they also fixed the associated reliability problems... blocked EGR cooler, sticking EGR valve, blocked intake manifold and obstructed intake valves!
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 11:56   #394
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
It'd be nice if they also fixed the associated reliability problems... blocked EGR cooler, sticking EGR valve, blocked intake manifold and obstructed intake valves!
It is nowhere near as bad as it was 3 years ago . I have 4 friends and a brother with this engine none have ever had any trouble . You need to count the ones that have NOT had trouble as well . Remember there are at least 200,000 of these engines going around in the UK , goodness knows how many elsewhere .
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 12:23   #395
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
It is nowhere near as bad as it was 3 years ago . I have 4 friends and a brother with this engine none have ever had any trouble . You need to count the ones that have NOT had trouble as well . Remember there are at least 200,000 of these engines going around in the UK , goodness knows how many elsewhere .
For those of us out of warranty it is the uncertainty that is the issue, not knowing if it will happen to us.
I have had my recall done but am not convinced that it addresses the root cause of the hot gas bypass.
Having said that, untill I find a suitable CRV to buy I will soldier on.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 12:27   #396
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
I'm assuming that you mean that 3 years ago was the height of the cooler blockage problem? Seems to me that perhaps the original EGR cooler (with the problem of condensate mixing with the soot, etc, and collecting to form a blockage) was actually acting as a 'line of defence' in stopping the issue of soot collecting in the intake manifold and around the intake valves?
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 12:33   #397
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I'm assuming that you mean that 3 years ago was the height of the cooler blockage problem? Seems to me that perhaps the original EGR cooler (with the problem of condensate mixing with the soot, etc, and collecting to form a blockage) was actually acting as a 'line of defence' in stopping the issue of soot collecting in the intake manifold and around the intake valves?
yes that's true , but there were many different software updates issued trying to alter the way the egr works , There is a flap which allows the cooler to be bypassed , i would imaging one of those updates used the bypass more often , It would be nice if we knew exactly what each software does but alas that is not the case .
I have heard rumours that the latest recall increases the temperature of the regeneration temperature from 600C to something higher .
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 12:45   #398
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
yes that's true , but there were many different software updates issued trying to alter the way the egr works , There is a flap which allows the cooler to be bypassed , i would imaging one of those updates used the bypass more often , It would be nice if we knew exactly what each software does but alas that is not the case .
I have heard rumours that the latest recall increases the temperature of the regeneration temperature from 600C to something higher .
Interesting. Although I've never had a DPF problem and you don't see many problems reported here on these models.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 12:54   #399
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Interesting. Although I've never had a DPF problem and you don't see many problems reported here on these models.
I don't think it is anything to do with the dpf , maybe they open the egr valve and let this hotter gas through the system , maybe it loosens soot from the cooler or dries out the cooler etc? who knows .
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 14:56   #400
James B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
That's interesting, mine is in for the recalls now. Will check mpg after and update.
So mine just back after being checked over following low MPG and nothing wrong with it apparently.... frustrated isn't the word.... be interesting to see if this is a common occurrence post checks .... 500 000 worldwide, 70,000 in the UK alone with this potential issue. Watchdog?
James B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4