Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do wish Volvo would copy from other manufacturers?

Views : 13953

Replies : 155

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2020, 20:05   #121
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I agree! I wonder what happend to those, they seem to be banned!
If you look at how far up and along the roof the windscreens on most cars go now , they would look silly and have no purpose as eye level would be about half way down the glass .
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 21:16   #122
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
This sort of stupid driving on a "duel carriageway" does not help the case. Putting lives at risk just for kicks.
Car looks lovely in that colour and seats, pitty about the owner, I bet his other car is an Audi. https://youtu.be/r1w9kR9oltQ
Just looked at that and fail to see what he was doing wrong!
You do realise that he was on a German Autobahn? Speed is derestricted on many sections. Also he did not tailgate slower cars but held station well back and waited for them to pull over, which they always do on Autobahns.
So what point are you making?
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 15:06   #123
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Am I alone? Or does anyone else find the Volvo "boring" to drive? Its very very competent but give zero feedback. It "wallows"'along and does what its supposed to but has no passion and the steering gives very little feedback. No excitement.

But it's a great car for long journeys and you arrive feeling fresh. The new seats aren't as comfortable as older Volvos were, but look nice and trendy.

I know this sounds negative, but there's alot to like about the car but it isnt a car for people who love driving, its a car for "traveling" in.

Now I expect I'll be attacked for this.
Not by me, I totally agree with you. As much as I like my XC60, I'm not in love with it, because it is boring and I soon start feeling tired.
I compensate by owning a Smart car, it's fun fun fun. You have to drive it, not sit back and let the car take the strain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191119_112753_HDR.jpg (218.0 KB, 28 views)
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 15:25   #124
niva441

Much as I am disappointed that many of the systems don't work as well or aren't as accessible / functional as the previous generation, I'm finding that the air of relaxation it generates is its key benefit.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 20:16   #125
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well it is better than hybrid , it is plug in hybrid ... it needs the right kind of journeys to make full use of though to get over 100 mpg and that includes plugging in at every available opportunity , at least you get the choices . The petrol engine is a GDI Direct injection so not as thirsty as you might think bearing in mind it is carting around over 2 tonnes .
Do you think Volvo will try and reduce the weight? Getting the car closer to 1500Kg rather than 2000Kg would make it more efficient. Is the weight beacuse of safety features or just the use of cheaper steel over composites?

I prefer plug-in hybrid (if it actually worked in my house) having invested in solar PV I produce excess energy for at least a quarter of the year that could go into the car for the short journeys to won and back. I am also a Octopus Energy customer on the Agile tariff, I can charge my car and home battery during the early hours at less than 4p / KWH. EV cars are a big step change and transform how we think about electricity consumption. I doubt mild hybrids will be avilable five years from now, they are just an intermediary solution.

Paul
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:14   #126
Whyman
Premier Member

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but here goes.

On my previous E classes:-

1. when you adjusted the seat or mirror position and the saved it to a memory position the car gave a beep to confirm that it had been saved.

2. The fuel display had 3 setting, Average, Instantaneous and Current journey. You can guess which one I used the most.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:21   #127
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBendall View Post
Do you think Volvo will try and reduce the weight? Getting the car closer to 1500Kg rather than 2000Kg would make it more efficient. Is the weight beacuse of safety features or just the use of cheaper steel over composites?

I prefer plug-in hybrid (if it actually worked in my house) having invested in solar PV I produce excess energy for at least a quarter of the year that could go into the car for the short journeys to won and back. I am also a Octopus Energy customer on the Agile tariff, I can charge my car and home battery during the early hours at less than 4p / KWH. EV cars are a big step change and transform how we think about electricity consumption. I doubt mild hybrids will be avilable five years from now, they are just an intermediary solution.

Paul
volvo have made huge steps forward in weight saving in the suspension department everything is beautiful alloy , the underneath looks as good as the top :-) .. The bonnet and tailgate are light too , counteracted by more boron steel in the body to ensure that " nobody shall be killed or seriously injured in any of their cars from 2020 " They are big cars , and one electric seat will be 30 kg its very substantial for obvious reasons . It will be interesting to see how much the pure electric weighs without the combustion engine ..
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:24   #128
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post

1. when you adjusted the seat or mirror position and the saved it to a memory position the car gave a beep to confirm that it had been saved.

2. The fuel display had 3 setting, Average, Instantaneous and Current journey. You can guess which one I used the most.
volvo have had number 2 for about 7 years now ...
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:40   #129
finnster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post

Mine beeps when I save it to a memory position, do they not all do this?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:44   #130
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
Mine beeps when I save it to a memory position, do they not all do this?
Mine does and it confirms it on the display.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote