Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 63536

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:10   #191
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
...i will use when parking in cities/places that I consider to be risky. Whilst it will not 100% stop the thieves, it will slow them down with a greater chance of being noticed so many professionals will move on to an easier vehicle......or that's my theory!
I understood the risk to be when the cars are at home due to potential proximity of keys to doors.

I had dismissed risk when away from home as keys will be with me in an unknown location to the crooks.

What risk do you perceive in the cities?
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:41   #192
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
I've got one for my XC90 key - thought it would be a pain at first but I now put it straight into it when I get home without even thinking about it.

I tested it with the key in the pouch right up next to the car door and it wouldn't unlock

Highly recommended.
Likewise - I got a couple of faraday pouches when had the horrendous Disco Sport - they work perfectly and as Dufster says standing next to the car with the key in the pouch the doors on my XC90 won't open. Overkill I guess but I just keep the keys in the pouch all the time, in my pocket in the front unshielded section when I want to drive
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:51   #193
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeemark View Post
Likewise - I got a couple of faraday pouches when had the horrendous Disco Sport - they work perfectly and as Dufster says standing next to the car with the key in the pouch the doors on my XC90 won't open. Overkill I guess but I just keep the keys in the pouch all the time, in my pocket in the front unshielded section when I want to drive

Highly recommended.
Not a criticism but I think this highlights what a farce keyless start is. The whole point is you don't need to do anything but due to the security issues you do what most people do anyway, get your key out your pocket
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:38   #194
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuads View Post
Not a criticism but I think this highlights what a farce keyless start is. The whole point is you don't need to do anything but due to the security issues you do what most people do anyway, get your key out your pocket
Not sure what point you're making - keyless in principle is great but in reality it's a bloody great security hole - I'm simply plugging that hole
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:45   #195
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
Not sure what point you're making - keyless in principle is great but in reality it's a bloody great security hole - I'm simply plugging that hole
The point i'm making is that keyless entry means you don't need to get your key out your pocket to open the door. Due due to the fundamental flaw if you don't want your car nicked you need to take your key out your pocket to move it from the shielded section to the unshielded section which negates the point of keyless entry.

it wasn't a criticism of you or people keeping their car safe more than the current issue essentially makes it pointless

(I did change my statement slightly as I said keyless start where I meant keyless entry. Its the entry that is the problem not the start i.e. you have have keyless start without keyless entry and hot have this issue)
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:58   #196
I Feel Old

Surely the reality is that the key only needs to be in a pouch when in the house?

Keeping it in a suitable container/pouch in the house and picking it up from there on leaving is all that is required. Unless one desires to keep the key in one's pocket whilst wandering around the house? Do many do that?

I'm really not getting that it is a huge issue or inconvenience, once the precautions have been put in place.

But then on the other hand it's hardly an inconvenience to press a button to open doors.

So, a solution to a problem that didn't really exist and creating a loophole, which is easily closed?
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:42   #197
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuads View Post
The point i'm making is that keyless entry means you don't need to get your key out your pocket to open the door. Due due to the fundamental flaw if you don't want your car nicked you need to take your key out your pocket to move it from the shielded section to the unshielded section which negates the point of keyless entry.

it wasn't a criticism of you or people keeping their car safe more than the current issue essentially makes it pointless

(I did change my statement slightly as I said keyless start where I meant keyless entry. Its the entry that is the problem not the start i.e. you have have keyless start without keyless entry and hot have this issue)
Ah ok - makes sense now! Yes it's an imperfect solution
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:49   #198
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
Surely the reality is that the key only needs to be in a pouch when in the house?

Keeping it in a suitable container/pouch in the house and picking it up from there on leaving is all that is required. Unless one desires to keep the key in one's pocket whilst wandering around the house? Do many do that?

I'm really not getting that it is a huge issue or inconvenience, once the precautions have been put in place.

But then on the other hand it's hardly an inconvenience to press a button to open doors.

So, a solution to a problem that didn't really exist and creating a loophole, which is easily closed?
No I don't walk round the house with it in my pocket!! I should have been a bit clearer in my point above - I'm a wildlife photographer and spend a deal of time away (mainly in winter) in the tent, so the car parked next to the tent on whatever site I happen to be using - if am there for a few days it's perfectly possible for someone to clock that fact and come along and nick the car using the relay approach. The 10 seconds it would take to do that is less than the time it takes me to get out of the bag, get dressed, unzip the tent flaps etc - so yes you could say maybe overly cautious but a Volvo was pinched in precisely this manner on one of the sites I use in Feb/March last year. So I've just got into the habit of picking the whole thing up and shoving it in my pocket - frankly it's a pain and keyless while on the face of it is a real bonus, the reality is somewhat different and personally I'd be happy without keyless entry but with keyless start
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:00   #199
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
...keyless while on the face of it is a real bonus, the reality is somewhat different and personally I'd be happy without keyless entry but with keyless start
I agree; for the limited extra convenience afforded by keyless entry I would prefer no keyless entry but with keyless start.

My next car will not have keyless entry.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:08   #200
I Feel Old

Quote:
...frankly it's a pain and keyless while on the face of it is a real bonus, the reality is somewhat different and personally I'd be happy without keyless entry but with keyless start
My post was more aimed at Rob, than you Mark.

Thanks for the explanation though, bit of a nuisance.

To be honest I'm finding the whole keyless thing a nuisance. Whereas I knew where the key was in the dash, I now have to rake for it and usually in a jacket pocket on the back seat. So more inconvenient until I get used to putting somewhere handy.