Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seized Air con compressor

Views : 606

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:06   #1
Pugwash5

Default Seized Air con compressor

I have an 09 XC70 with 41K miles on the clock, which went in for a routine MOT. After an hour I was approached by the garage to ask if I had had problems with starting to car. Went to see what was wrong, it was on the ramps with a flat battery. Found that the air con had been left running whilst they tested it, they replaced the battery and it still struggled to turn over. But finally started and the testing was completed. After a mile driving home smoke was pouring from under the bonnet found the A/C belt melted and compressor seized. Can anyone explain what could have caused this? On the plus side it passed the MOT.
Pugwash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 12:25   #2
tonys1966

Default a/c

nothing they dd would contribute to its failure sadly-its an item designed to be used,in modern cars the a/c compressors are all too weak on many models

at least it didnt ping that belt off under the aux belt then cambelt....plus you can easily do without it most days untill you find a replacement
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonys1966 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 02:14   #3
Pugwash5

Thanks for your help 👍🏼
Pugwash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 19:52   #4
kenny
Master Member

Air con compressor failure is a known issue on these cars. You are lucky as was I, it is not unusual for the belt to snap then wrap around the timing belt killing your engine. When mine seized my wife had been through to Glasgow on a rare hot day, when she got home I jumped in the car to nip to the shop and noticed the air con was not working, I stopped and found the belt snapped where it had burnt through.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:32   #5
maartenvd

Question, is it safe to drive without the AC stretch belt? The pulley of my airco compressor has been making a buzzing noise for a while now, and I have the impression its getting worse recently

I will have this fixed later on, but can I cut the AC stretch belt and continue driving without it? Like that I don't run the risk of the aircon pump seizing and causing lots of damage if the belt snaps. Thanks.
maartenvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:47   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Without the belt the air con doesnot work but I don't think there is any other effect upon the car.
It is certainly safer the belt be removed rather than snap in situe

Is it the compressor or the compressor clutch that siezes?

Paul..
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 21:23   #7
kenny
Master Member

It was the clutch on mine but it is or was not available on its own.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 06:20   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
It was the clutch on mine but it is or was not available on its own.
Thankyou. I know landrover say the same about the air con compressor on the rangerover 322, however the clutches are available 3rd party as I helped a mate change his. A bit like the volvo alternator clutch, volvo it comes as part of the alternator, eBay, volvo alternator clutch £65.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote