Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cabin vibration at idle D5 185

Views : 9893

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2015, 18:52   #21
BigAl5
XC90 Fanatic

[QUOTE=xco;1758228]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Hi all.

When idling at 750 rpm there is a noticeable vibration throughout the cabin. Sometimes the bunch of keys in the ignition rattle.
Is this normal for a 5 cylinder ? The mileage is 83k.
Being the 185 it has the improved engine top mount and the engine doesn't seem to visually shake.
When you increase the revs to 900 rpm it all smooths out, so i presume the vacuum pump is fine.

I will get the mounts check over when it's due a service in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your advice on the xenons rob now I hope I can help you which is what this forum is about.
I've not long returned from a trip to scotland in the beast and had noticed just the same problem which we did not experience in scotland or before the trip.
Very simply, before I started getting deeply diagnostic I looked and listened for the unobvious and it turned out to be a bottle of drinking water I had left in the drivers door recess.(oasis bottle fits just nice in there.

Hope this helps.
Xco, did you ever find out what caused the vibration at 700rpm idle but made the vibration stop at about 900rpm? Mine does the same thing and it drives me mad. I've had all my engine mounts changed for genuine Volvo OEM ones, there's plenty of clearance on the bump stop so I'm all out of ideas.
Cream Leather & Piano Black Interior Trim, Custom Built Active Bi-Xenon's with Halo Angel Eye DRL’s (and indicators), Custom Steering Wheel, LEGEND media system, Front & Rear Parking Cameras, RSE, Centre Console Fridge, Volvotech, and lots more!

BigAl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 11:25   #22
laundryman
The Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeXC90 View Post
Hi there, had exactly the same issue with my 2008 XC90 D5 with excessive vibration going through cabin, steering wheel and everywhere else. Initially I found the gearbox was slumped onto the bump stop so trimmed it a bit but only made a small difference as when you gave it some throttle the torque would overcome the gap. I replaced every single mount on the car before doing the hardest one last which solved the problem. This was the round pneumatic mount under the turbo at the rear of the engine. Can almost guarantee this will be the one that is at fault. Took 3.5 hours of Volvo mechanics time as it is really difficult to do so wasn't cheap but made the world of difference. I used an aftermarket - good quality mount as obviously the Volvo ones are rubbish.
Hope this helps.
Maybe i'm missing something here, but can you please tell me why you think the Volvo rear engine mounts are obviously rubbish? Is this from personal experience? At what mileage did your rear mount go? As there are some of us about to change them it would be good to know.
thanks
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 12:05   #23
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Maybe i'm missing something here, but can you please tell me why you think the Volvo rear engine mounts are obviously rubbish? Is this from personal experience? At what mileage did your rear mount go? As there are some of us about to change them it would be good to know.
thanks
A 3 post disgruntled owner maybe? not been online in over a year!
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 17:21   #24
BigAl5
XC90 Fanatic

UPDATE: OK as you will know I love my car but I have been pulling out my hair trying to establish the cause of the idle vibration at about 600-700rpm and the faint metallic tapping sound whenever I accelerate.

My indi Volvo mechanic has looked at the car and believes this is just normal behaviour for an xc90 D5 with nearly 95,000 miles and told me not to worry as the car is mechanically in great shape. So, I have now come to the conclusion that these vibrations are just the way the xc90 diesel is (or perhaps I may just be particularly picky about these things having driven German diesels for years). So I'm a little disappointed we were unable to definitively identify the source of the vibration and metallic sound (if there are indeed any issues) and solve them easily.... but things are never straightforward with cars are they! LOL. If anyone's interested, here are the main things below we have done to the car mechanically since I've owned it in the past year (other than routine servicing of course):

1) Went into limp mode - Turbo vacuum hose fractured and swirl arm rod missing - both replaced (other hoses checked and no leaks).
2) due to excessive vibration replaced all three engine mounts (they had failed) for Volvo OEM ones and checked bump stop, all OK.
3) had the vacuum system retested (twice) and no leaks - sufficient vacuum.
4) Drive shaft checked and appears OK
5) Wheel bearings replaced
6) New front disks and pads
7) new cam belt and auxiliary belt (done at Volvo Main Dealer) at 77,000 miles
8) power steering rack refurbished due to fault nearside inner tie rod
9) new Bosch MAF - due to fault code
10) New throttle body - due to fault code
11) Terraclean
12) New front suspension arms and bushes (solved clunking when stopping!)
13) Drive line, rear diff, Transfer box and haldex fluids all OK.
14) Gearbox oil, 50% removed and topped up with new OEM fluid.
15) Wheel alignment done every 3-4 months.

With regards the faint metallic taping (whirling) sound on acceleration my indi mechanic suggested that as he cant see any obvious thing wrong with the car it is 'possible' there may be an issue with the injector(s) BUT said he cant actually hear any problem. They could be removed and tested but advised me not to bother for the time being.

Hope this helps someone here in the future.
Cream Leather & Piano Black Interior Trim, Custom Built Active Bi-Xenon's with Halo Angel Eye DRL’s (and indicators), Custom Steering Wheel, LEGEND media system, Front & Rear Parking Cameras, RSE, Centre Console Fridge, Volvotech, and lots more!

Last edited by BigAl5; Nov 10th, 2015 at 17:37.
BigAl5 is offline   Reply With Quote