Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60R Damaged, should I repair myself or let Ins write it off

Views : 2504

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2016, 22:01   #1
chrisb123

Default S60R Damaged, should I repair myself or let Ins write it off

Hi
My car is a late 2003 S60R Manual with only 84,000miles with full history.

I'm a new member to the forum but have been viewing various S60r related threads for a few months.

My wife was travelling at between 10 and 15mph and shunted the car.

My problem: severe damage to front Bumper, front lights both lens smashed but housing looks ok and radiator has probably been holed as the coolant leaked out. the wings and bonnet are fine but I cannot open the bonnet to inspect as bonnet has raised by couple of inches due to impact.
The car does drive but obviously I wouldn't drive it more than a few hundred yards without coolant.
I am in a quandary, the car is currently being assessed by my insurance for parts or to write it off.

I love this car and do not want to lose it but does anybody have a clue what the write off would be?, I only ask as I would probably buy it back if they want to write it off.

I have been told by a couple of people that they will write it off because of cost of parts.
Does any member know how to replace the lenses and also where I can source these parts?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20160505_215647.jpg (204.0 KB, 95 views)
chrisb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 22:13   #2
850Chris
Premier Member

Not sure about the write off value I'm afraid, but I can pass you details for a good divorce lawyer.

You must be gutted! Lovely car. Hope you manage to keep and repair.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2016, 22:20   #3
moorgate

This happened with one of my old cars, after I sold it on. The guy got punched up the back and was gutted - that thing had every known toy on the planet. He let the insurers guide him, so the car ended up written off. About four months later, some guy rings him up asking about various bits that were not in the car when it was handed over - he had bought it off the insurer and was working to put it back on the road!!

Based on what happened with that car, in your shoes I'd get it back sharpish and get them to settle double quick, before it sits in a yard full of light-fingered spanner men.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2016, 22:50   #4
chrisb123

Thanks Moorgate and 850chris for your replies, I haven't seen an S60R with my mileage for less than £4500 but I guess the insurers will try to convince me otherwise. I think I can sort a new Bumper for £608 from Volvo and the lights at £350 Halogen each also from Volvo (that's what Volvo Chelmsford told me anyway), but I have heard that you can replace the lens on these instead. I imagine the rad is generic to most petrol s60's.

Just don't want to lose the car if I can help it.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:31   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Can't help with write-off values, but it's 'just an old car' to insurance firms.

If you don't still have the car in your possession, get it back asap as someone said, bits could go missing if it's sat in a compound somewhere.

If they payout on it, get the car back - hence comment above, much easier if it's in your possession and fix it yourself with used bits.

To really assess the damage you need to get the bumper skin off to check how staight the body is behind it, although looking at the car, the damage looks superficial.

The only hard bit to replace is the bumper as I beleive this is specific to the R models.

I'd suggest you will also have a bent slam panel looking at the bonnet position, but this is just a bolt on part and there are plenty in breakers. If your healamps are halogen, rather than xenon, again go to a breaker for parts if you chose to repair it yourself.
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:23   #6
chrisb123

Default Thanks Reddit

I remember the RD350, one of the most wanted bikes of the early 80's, oil cooled from what I remember, is it white?

Car was drivable when it left me so they better give me back a drivable car. Only thing I can think they could pilfer is the yellow brake pads that cost me a bomb.
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:59   #7
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Best advice I ever had for car project is to guestimate cost then double it.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 15:49   #8
chrisb123

I phoned Volvo again today and the cost of the spares won't break the bank as much as I previously thought.

The bumper (which comes already painted) is £638 all in, you can buy the glass lenses for £50 a pop on eBay (just have to buy the glue and a heat gun) and the radiator and perhaps top bracket. If this is the case then I imagine the insurance company all this at trade prices, so they "should" repair.
Old May 6th, 2016, 21:13   #9
pookie
Premier Member

You do need to get your car back. It is, after all yours. I knew a bloke whose car was scrapped without him knowing.

Salut!

Pookie
Old May 6th, 2016, 22:20   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb123 View Post
I phoned Volvo again today and the cost of the spares won't break the bank as much as I previously thought.

The bumper (which comes already painted) is £638 all in, you can buy the glass lenses for £50 a pop on eBay (just have to buy the glue and a heat gun) and the radiator and perhaps top bracket. If this is the case then I imagine the insurance company all this at trade prices, so they "should" repair.
Are you sure those glass lenses are for the R ? You will have BI-Xenon headlamp units specific to the R ..Just about everything on an R is different to the run of the mill S60 .. volvo only sell glass lenses for the S80 up to 2004.