Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D 2001 power loss below 2500 rpm

Views : 9433

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2012, 22:06   #1
2001V40D

Default V40 1.9D 2001 power loss below 2500 rpm

Well, like quite a few others here I am with this V40 that is refusing to behave normally. All appears to have started after a cambelt replacement (which also appears to be a typical starting point for V40 diesel power loss issues).

Symptom history:
  1. Acceleration hesitance at ~ 2500 rpm, ~ 55-60 mph
  2. Very weak power on all gears below < 2500 rpm
  3. Weak power on 3rd and 4th gears < 2500 rpm

Above 2500 rpm, turbo kicks in and the car takes off.

On the highway, driving 60-70 mph, cruise control is pretty useless because at gear 5 you end up in the 2500 rpm and there it gradually drifts until it shuts off. Before everything started, cruise control was running solid.

Error codes when it all began:

ECM-0000 One of: (don't know which)
Quote:
ECM-0000 Engine speed (RPM) sensor. Faulty signal. Intermittent fault
ECM-0000 Impulse sensor. Faulty signal, Intermittent fault.
ECM-0000 Impulse sensor. Signal too high, overspeeding.
ECM-0000 Impulse sensor: Signal faulty. Permanent fault.
ECM-1804 Boost pressure sensor. Signal too high
ECM-180C EGR position sensor. Signal too low
ECM-1826 Glow plug relay, position. Faulty signal

Symptom 1 and 2 appears to have been cured by replacing EGR and Boost pressure sensor, adjusting vacuum tube and changing fuel filter.

Symptom 3 remains.

Along with the symptoms, noted what looked like leak behind engine, below solenoid. Technicians never found what it was.

Noted by me though is that the tube running from the solenoid into the air intake appears to always be oily. Whether this is normal or not I don't know. It is a car after all.

There is no smoke, no uneven running on idle and as I said, turbo is ok.

Now, one garage have noted that the turbo wheels appear to be a bit stiff and therefore suspect that a new one is needed. However, I don't think this is relevant, based on my understanding that the turbo isn't in use < 2500 rpm.

More interesting is the possibility that there is something wrong with that solenoid tube or something near it, that the EGR is still dirty (despite being replaced) or that there is some electronics that have gone wrong (relating to ECM-1826).

I have also noted that in the manual it states that the EGR is not in use during full throttle due to safety reasons. I am quietly wondering if that is because it reduces engine power?

So, in my case, is this system not functioning properly and is that why I don't get power so that I can reach the rpms where the turbo kicks in?

Having seen a lot of posts, but few very clear answers, I am posting this in the hope that someone will recognise the symptoms so that I can steer the Volvoites here to fix the right thing.

I have one thing left to do myself, which is to reset the engine management system by removing battery overnight.
2001V40D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 19:50   #2
2001V40D

I disconnected the MAF, car runs like new.

Bought an ODB2, find no fault. Yet I am not convinced it actually works with a V40 2001.

Has anyone had any experience with ODB2 on these?

Next project is to clean the MAF and/or replace it and/or figure out if there is an electical fault somewhere.

And no local garages here could disconnect it and test drive it.

It took 5 minutes to do.

Sigh.
Old May 28th, 2012, 19:13   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Check here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17

It is the S40/V40 subforum. There have been quite a few threads in the past about OBD2 readers and the S40/V40. Some cheaper readers will read the codes on petrol engines. However, when it comes to the 1.9D it is a different story. I have the same car as you and I have tried everything. CHeap OBD2 reader, USB-OBD2 cable with Vol-FCR, more expensive readers but none of them will read the engine codes. I even bought the Autel EU702 which also failed to read the engine codes, but was great resetting the SRS light on my car.

I now have the Volvo DICE and it is the only thing I am aware of that will read the engine codes of the 1.9D

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 23:13   #4
2001V40D

Thanks Gatos.

To everyone else. My problem was finally solved.

I ran without MAF for a few months, finally took the car into a Bosch service center where they concluded that the vacuum tubes to the air inlet where clogged, resulting in overpressure. After that was cleaned, the engine appeared to be ok, until cooled down and restarted. Then it again was sluggish and this concluded that the MAF needed to be replaced.

After replacement it is now running fine again. Getting 58 mph on the motorway!

Took it to the MOT and one break pipe got busted during the break test, so they need to replaced as well now. Very lucky not to have seen that on the autobahn.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2001V40D For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 17:25   #5
StevieLew

Default Incredible results after cleaning MAF

Hi, thanks for posting this.

My 2003 v40 tdi has been really sluggish before the turbo engages for the last couple of years. With 150k on the clock, I just assumed that the engine was growing old and tired. I took out the MAF, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol spray and allowed to dry.
Just took the car on a test run, up a hill where it used to die a death. It drove up the hill like it was almost new. A rally quick, easy job, even for somebody like me who knows very little about cars.

I bought the isopropyl alcohol from Maplins.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol-28994
StevieLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 05:05   #6
the losttribe

Question Turbo making "whistling" sound

I bought this 1.9d 2 weeks ago without any service history. I have driven just over 1000 miles with no problems. I decided to give it a bit of TLC, so changed a very badly clogged air filter element and then drove 40 miles to work. Started the car and drove 3 miles to A14 and then tried to accelerate onto carriageway - sudden loss of power and I was able to hear the turbo whistling. Drove to local garage where advised symptoms may indicate a split turbo hose. Any idea as to which one. I tried to investigate but torch battery failed. Drove the vehicle home on back roads and kept revs below 1500.
the losttribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:55   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Try posting in the 1996-2004 S40 & V40 sub section of the forum as you will get more help there and there. Anyway, to help with your question, there is no easy answer. You will need to inspect the hoses very thoroughly to find the split. It could be on one of these:

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: